Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie H

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Greensboro, NC, USA
www.bigtent.com
Subohm is really a misnomer. The issue is high wattage vaping. The resistance of the coil is not inherently relevant, though it can be used to produce the higher wattage from the battery.

Yes, this is true. With a purely mechanical mod without the use of a kick, the only way to adjust the intensity of your vape is via the resistance of the coil, I guess. Higher res will give you better battery life, too high and you won't get any vapor. Lowers res would draw more power and give you a more intense vape at the expense of battery run time. In theory that is. I think 1.8 ohms is good for a mech, any thoughts? Seems to satisfy me. I'm just a simple guy really. Got rid of my VV eGo style batteries for a plain 1300 mAh eGo T. Just wasn't really using the adjustments much. I am keeping my Vamo though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronald3638

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
Subohm is really a misnomer. The issue is high wattage vaping. The resistance of the coil is not inherently relevant, though it can be used to produce the higher wattage from the battery.
Dr G with all respect. The issue isn't necessarily high wattage vaping. If I want to I can put 2 16340 batteries in my Bogger Box and enjoy a 6v+ wattage with a 3 Ohm + Atomizer. Some do like that.

The difference is that lower Gauge Coils are much thicker and they heat up slower and the vape is smoother.
This post demonstrates what I'm talking about.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-high-gauge-kanthal-whichheats-up-faster.html

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Dr G with all respect. The issue isn't necessarily high wattage vaping. If I want to I can put 2 16340 batteries in my Bogger Box and enjoy a 6v+ wattage with a 3 Ohm + Atomizer. Some do like that.

The difference is that lower Gauge Coils are much thicker and they heat up slower and the vape is smoother.
This post demonstrates what I'm talking about.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-high-gauge-kanthal-whichheats-up-faster.html

Subohm doesn't necessarily mean thicker wire than superohm. And superohm doesn't necessarily mean less thermal mass than subohm. Subohm per se means only that the resistance is lower than superohm, and the only thing we can say for sure subohm does is produce more watts from the same voltage.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
ROFL.

There's as much variety in "Sub Ohm" as there is in "Normal Ohm".

Sub ohm can produce huge clouds if configured to do so.
Sub ohm can have great flavor, although it often has hot juice and crappy flavor if done for cloud chasing rather than ADV.
Sub ohm can be "OK" with battery life, but usually is much less efficient.
Sub ohm requires mechs which are unregulated power and thus inconsistent. It follows battery voltage.

Many of the same or similar effects can be had with high-watt APV's that are regulated and protected. It's all up to you.

The "dangerous" part about it is when nut-cases chase super low ohms and over stress batteries. Contrary to a lot of "facts" the SLR guys post, even an AW IMR battery will vent some gas. It just does it much more safely and slowly. Make sure your mech mod is vented well.

SLR of like .2 ohms and such is near a dead-short. They often post about hot buttons and hot batteries. :facepalm:

OTOH, those vaping .8 ohms...mostly like any normal mech mod use. See?

It's the .2 ohmers (who probably get crappy hot flavor anyway) that bother me. They push everything to the limits all at once and expect people not to say something.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
I get better battery life with sub ohm, 5 sec drag vs a 13 sec drag on a higher ohm setup. I also vape less juice a day in a genny vs a clearo, larger cloud less i need to vape to get my nic fix.

If you haven't done sub ohm don't post about something you have no clue about. Just sayin

You made that up! ;) :lol:

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
ROFL.

There's as much variety in "Sub Ohm" as there is in "Normal Ohm".

Sub ohm can produce huge clouds if configured to do so.

You were doing so well until ...

Sub ohm can have great flavor, although it often has hot juice and crappy flavor if done for cloud chasing rather than ADV.
Sub ohm can be "OK" with battery life, but usually is much less efficient.
Sub ohm requires mechs which are unregulated power and thus inconsistent. It follows battery voltage.

Many of the same or similar effects can be had with high-watt APV's that are regulated and protected. It's all up to you.

The "dangerous" part about it is when nut-cases chase super low ohms and over stress batteries. Contrary to a lot of "facts" the SLR guys post, even an AW IMR battery will vent some gas. It just does it much more safely and slowly. Make sure your mech mod is vented well.

SLR of like .2 ohms and such is near a dead-short. They often post about hot buttons and hot batteries. :facepalm:

OTOH, those vaping .8 ohms...mostly like any normal mech mod use. See?

It's the .2 ohmers (who probably get crappy hot flavor anyway) that bother me. They push everything to the limits all at once and expect people not to say something.

You ran off the rails. This is just alarmism and not just a little elitism, based on thin, poorly understood "facts."

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California

You ran off the rails. This is just alarmism and not just a little elitism, based on thin, poorly understood "facts."

"SLR of like .2 ohms and such is near a dead-short. They often post about hot buttons and hot batteries."

I'm intrigued, guess I'll have to put together a .2Ohm Wick and see what happens.
My Sony Battery is rated to 30 Amps and collapses with a short, so I can safely test this.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010

Like your "conclusion"?

What did I say that you object to? Other than....having a personal agenda and um...attacking me.

There's nothing "elitist" about it... there's no superiority stated, only caution. No alarm-ism either. Remember the guy that blew his teeth out was using a mech without protection (and wrong batteries). A short (like in that case) is the ultimate bottom end of SLR. The near-short of .2 ohms is enough to warrant caution IMO.

The point being...mech mods have no protection without a fuse. And people pushing that many amps can't use fuses......

That's an electronic fact. Not elitism nor alarmist. If the OP asks for pros and cons...why not be fair and honest rather than just opinionated and insulting like your "retort"/post?

Just for the math:
.2 ohms @ 4.2 volts = 21 amps, 88.2 watts. Of course, that's theoretical, not actual with mod resistance thrown in. But that's the rough numbers.

Last edited:

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Remember the guy that blew his teeth out was using a mech without protection (and wrong batteries). A short (like in that case) is the ultimate bottom end of SLR. The near-short of .2 ohms is enough to warrant caution IMO.

External shorts have caused none of the mod explosions we have heard about.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
External shorts have caused none of the mod explosions we have heard about.

Really? What caused that one then? A short is a short. Internal or external. Zero ohms = max possible amps (above rating).

Although, re-reading my earlier post, the term "nut cases" was a poor choice. I should have said "Extreme cloud chasers".

I was intending to note that they are doing it for the clouds, not for best possible flavor, nor best safety.

People keep saying that IMR batteries don't vent...that's wrong. However, they vent much less and slower.

Last edited:

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Really? What caused that one then? A short is a short. Internal or external. Zero ohms = max possible amps (above rating).

No. You need to do more research on the difference between internal and external shorts. H U G E difference.

External shorts are actually not really a big deal. Every lithium battery testing standard includes external short testing. External shorts are probably the mildest abnormal condition our batteries face, because they are an extension of the normal operation of the battery. None of the battery's operational design is bypassed or defeated by external shorting. Most of our high drain batteries can take dead shorting without even venting.

BTW link to incident? If it's the one that gets bandied around a lot from Florida in 2012, that guy was using triple-stacked CR123 batteries. Not subohm. Most stacked battery explosions are actually caused reverse charging, as far as I know.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
If I remember correctly, they were double-stacked in the incident I was thinking of. AKA a stacked pair.

My point is that anything can short. 0 ohm. So why continually push the line at .2 ohms and stress batteries with 21 amp draws (even if intermittent)?

Also the reason stacking gets the big caution in most situations is because the amp limits of batteries don't stack, but voltages do. So you end up pushing even more amps through a battery because of the doubled voltage during a short that you would with a single cell.

However, it's all about over amping. That was the point. Also it was a mech mod without protection by definition.

You have to admit my point about .2 ohms at 4.2 volts.... 88 watts is a lot....
And people DO post about hot buttons and hot batteries all the time. So.......

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
If I remember correctly, they were double-stacked in the incident I was thinking of. AKA a stacked pair.

Well you can provide the link if you want, but either way, not subohm, and most likely not very high amp drain either.

My point is that anything can short. 0 ohm. So why continually push the line at .2 ohms and stress batteries with 21 amp draws (even if intermittent)?

Because it's a normal operation of the device. That is a huge difference from a malfunction. There is nothing magical about .2 ohms or any other impedance (which by the way is NOT a short), booster modules are capable of putting that load or less on a battery.

Also the reason stacking gets the big caution in most situations is because the amp limits of batteries don't stack, but voltages do. So you end up pushing even more amps through a battery because of the doubled voltage during a short that you would with a single cell.

No, this is wrong. This is not why stacked batteries are cautioned against. It's the reverse charging issue.

I don't even know what you are trying to say with the volts there ... that's just ... nonsense.

You have to admit my point about .2 ohms at 4.2 volts.... 88 watts is a lot....
And people DO post about hot buttons and hot batteries all the time. So.......

You can get a hot button at much lower amperage. The hot button is a different kind of malfunction not really related to a specific amperage. Basically the button turns into the heating element. Not really a big deal.

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Well you can provide the link if you want, but either way, not subohm, and most likely not very high amp drain either.

Because it's a normal operation of the device. That is a huge difference from a malfunction. There is nothing magical about .2 ohms or any other impedance (which by the way is NOT a short), booster modules are capable of putting that load or less on a battery.

No, this is wrong. This is not why stacked batteries are cautioned against. It's the reverse charging issue.

I don't even know what you are trying to say with the volts there ... that's just ... nonsense.

You can get a hot button at much lower amperage. The hot button is a different kind of malfunction not really related to a specific amperage. Basically the button turns into the heating element. Not really a big deal.

It's not wrong. Nor was I discussing the "reverse charging" issue. Where do you get this stuff?

You need a propaganda job.

I didn't say .2 ohms was a short.

etc.

Forget it. You're not reading what I'm typing...you're trolling. Or totally not understanding.

Basically anything can short. If you're continually stressing the battery it's already warm. So you may have less warning. Or cause the battery to internally short over time due to stress (21 amps!). Also, you can't use a fuse because of those amps whereas with "normal" ranges you can.

So the .2 ohms was selected as an example to make a point for discussion purposes. It does matter. It's a lot different than higher ohms from a stress perspective.

Voltage was Ohm's law. Not nonsense.

Etc.....

You're trolling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread