Not open for further replies.

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Hmm mine ends up rubbish. Where do you cut the wick? At the end of the channel before the edge? Or right at the bottom of the side?

This is how I build my K4:

2mg5oqa.jpg

Millah

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2012
FL
Hmm mine ends up rubbish. Where do you cut the wick? At the end of the channel before the edge? Or right at the bottom of the side?

For the Squape R? Whether you're wicking with Rayon or Japanese cotton, you should wick it the same. You cut at the end of the top before the edge. Try to avoid getting wick in the side channels. Cutting it as close to the edge as possible, you'll end up with a little cotton falling down the side channels, but that's ok. I try to avoid getting ANY wick in there though. I find that the closer you can get the wick cut to the edge, the more saturated my vape is. Liquid pools inside the side channels, so you want them unobstructed.

Also I agree with Qorax. I find the performance of Japanese cotton and Rayon to be almost the same. Maybe sometimes I get a cleaner flavor from Rayon, but only if too much cotton is stuffed in the coil. But I find Japanese cotton to be MUCH easier to work with and wick. Rayon tends to drive me crazy. I'm a bit OCD and kind of a neat freak. Both however perform WAY better than standard cotton balls, that's for sure.

Junny89

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
UK
For the Squape R? Whether you're wicking with Rayon or Japanese cotton, you should wick it the same. You cut at the end of the top before the edge. Try to avoid getting wick in the side channels. Cutting it as close to the edge as possible, you'll end up with a little cotton falling down the side channels, but that's ok. I try to avoid getting ANY wick in there though. I find that the closer you can get the wick cut to the edge, the more saturated my vape is. Liquid pools inside the side channels, so you want them unobstructed.

Also I agree with Qorax. I find the performance of Japanese cotton and Rayon to be almost the same. Maybe sometimes I get a cleaner flavor from Rayon, but only if too much cotton is stuffed in the coil. But I find Japanese cotton to be MUCH easier to work with and wick. Rayon tends to drive me crazy. I'm a bit OCD and kind of a neat freak. Both however perform WAY better than standard cotton balls, that's for sure.
Great! Thanks will try that again and see then. I haven't tried ... cotton yet tho.

And thanks Q! Will deffo have to try rayon in the k4!

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
Ok guys. Where is qorax? You should hear this.

So 28 gauge wire tensioned micro coil 1.9mm diameter wicked with rayon. People know that this type of setup is hard to deal with. I've been wicking with rayon a long time especially with my double insertion method so I was up to the job. I had some issues previously with the glass tank not wicking as well as the plastic tank. Don't ask. So today I decided to take a deep breath, disassemble my kayfun and clean it and reassemble it. Well many things caught my attention.
First the juice control is now smoother. The issue I had with the 510 spinning freely was solved since I tightened it while pushing down the positive nut. The resistance of the coil used to jump 0.1 ohms now it doesn't. And most importantly, brace yourself, running 20 watts on that setup with no hint of dry hit.

The glass tank is wicking with no issues. Liquid is literally going down by the second. I am over nic-ed.

I have no idea what happened with the cleaning there but it is a warm juicy vape. Everything working as expected wicking like crazy. Will I dare go back to my 1/16 diameter coil? Not sure maybe when my wick dies in few months :D.

EDIT: someone said you should not treat your kayfun as a dripper. I run most my drippers at 20 watts and I don't see why the KF4 can't run with the best of them :)

Last edited:

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
Been vaping 1-1.2ohm coils on 26/28g for the past week and decided to give it a go at a lower resistance today. 6 wrap over a 3mm bit with 24g kanthal for a nice .59ohm coil. Rocking it at 32 watts and is producing flavor/vapor/warmth equal to most of my single coil RDA's.

For those who haven't tried lower resistance builds, give it a try!

BTW: stock air flow about 80% open with PEEK insulator from the S4 kit.

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
^I've observed that irrespective of the coil dia and resistance the K4 wicks well. I've built it thru 0.8Ω ~ 1.6Ω, dia between 2mm - 2.4mm, powered with 12W ~ 18W, it never deteriorated it's vape experience.

Btw, lower the resistance ~ higher the juice consumption tho!

Since the K4 wicks so well I thought it was time to see how much it can handle. The sweet spot seems to be 27 watts with the juice I am using (90+ VG).

Any YES, it is drinking a tank extremely fast :vapor:

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
Since the K4 wicks so well I thought it was time to see how much it can handle. The sweet spot seems to be 27 watts with the juice I am using (90+ VG).

Any YES, it is drinking a tank extremely fast :vapor:

Just like a Bugatti Veyron!!!

Junny89

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
UK

Ahh that's where i have been going wrong.
I was draping the cotton or rayon along the side to the bottom! (on the squape r)

Now i will try rayon in both squape and k4!

Last edited:

FictitiousFreedom

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2014
WV
I really wanna try go lower than .8 but I dont have any 24g and im pretty sure 22g would be a bad idea but once I get some time after Christmas I have some great ideas to try.

Thanks for all the information and help you wonderful people have proviDed in this thRead. If it wasn't for this thread I probably wouldn't have bought my k4 and wouldn't be experiencing this amazing vape! Thank you Qorax and everyone else and have a great Christmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread