Rebuildable Tank Atomizers - An Anthology, Pictorial, Builds and Reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
Maybe so.
I think it's time, though, for Q to review some cheap stuff. Always liked his reviews.
Some of the cheap stuff I've tried actually vapes very well.
Just doesn't live long. Says I vaping on my Radius (though with a zlide atop it.)
If I may quote you: Hahahahahahahaha.
Not sure if I got all the ha's in there, but it's close.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I haven't been following this thread (but have followed many RTA threads here on ECF) Just wanted to throw something out there: GrimmGreen has a new RTA... the TypeTwo... watched a video about it (his video) and it looks interesting. But... it is small volume production and costs around $75. Any thoughts about this RTA? It is specifically for restricted DL which I like. Out of my price range but still curious if anyone is interested in trying one (or has actually tried it)

Javichu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2020
Spain
Instead of opening a new thread i thought i would post here,if it's not ok i apologize in advance.

As of late my wick in my RTA (Hellvape Destiny) tends to get burned (darker color) on the sides but not the middle.
Tried google but haven't got any info pertaining this,what could be the cause?
Doesn't taste burnt,cotton inside the coil is still white and looking good but sometimes the 1 or 2 sides appear burnt with a darker color...can't figure out how or why.

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

Seiggy

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2012
Irwin, Pennsylvania
Don't have the Hellvape Destiny, but in looking at the air flow from pics, it seems that in your case the center of the coil is getting most of the cooling air and the outer coil wraps are not and cooking the e-liquid a bit. That's my guess. Smaller coil centered on the air flow maybe. Just my guess.

Javichu

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2020
Spain
Don't have the Hellvape Destiny, but in looking at the air flow from pics, it seems that in your case the center of the coil is getting most of the cooling air and the outer coil wraps are not and cooking the e-liquid a bit. That's my guess. Smaller coil centered on the air flow maybe. Just my guess.

Thanks for the feedback.
I am using a 2.5 mm coil with few wraps(not really big for a coil),and it's positioned right in front the airflow.

Will maybe try lowering the sides of the cotton a bit,trim a bit more and see if it works.
Although this is one of the few attys (granted haven't tried that mant RTA's) that don't actually require trimming,just slide in cotton,cut and tuck.

But thanks again for the reply bud :)

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
I really like the new Squape Arise. Great flavor. Super easy to build on. Swiss quality.

Squape A[rise].jpg

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia
Instead of opening a new thread i thought i would post here,if it's not ok i apologize in advance.

As of late my wick in my RTA (Hellvape Destiny) tends to get burned (darker color) on the sides but not the middle.
Tried google but haven't got any info pertaining this,what could be the cause?
Doesn't taste burnt,cotton inside the coil is still white and looking good but sometimes the 1 or 2 sides appear burnt with a darker color...can't figure out how or why.
Is it darker all the way from the edge of the coil or only the very tips of the outer wick? Reason I'm asking is that I get dark spots on the very outer tips of my wick if I leave it a bit long in my Dvarws. I put it down to the edges reacting with the metal of the chimney. Not sure it's a heat thing in my case. Never seen this in any other RTA .

• Useful
Reactions: Javichu

Javichu

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2020
Spain
Is it darker all the way from the edge of the coil or only the very tips of the outer wick? Reason I'm asking is that I get dark spots on the very outer tips of my wick if I leave it a bit long in my Dvarws. I put it down to the edges reacting with the metal of the chimney. Not sure it's a heat thing in my case. Never seen this in any other RTA .

Sometimes one side of the cotton (not in the coil,just the side) as darker than the other,sometimes just one side is dark and the other almost white...it just varies.

Unless the cotton is in need of changing (the cotton inside the coil is darker color ranging from brownish to dark pitch black) the flavor doesn't seem affected at all.

Wish i could post a pic,old camera got busted and i don't own a smartphone,let me use a pic i found in google:

burn.jpg

Just opened my tank and it looked like this.
Keep in mind a couple of things:

-rewicked and cleaned tank about 3 hours prior of opening it up.
-cotton is not as white as the picture,not burnt just has that greying ''normal wet'' look.
-black smudge i put there is normally were the burnt mark is

Sometimes just one side,sometimes both side.

Since i own another Hellvape Destiny i will rewick tomorrow and use as my main and see if the situation repeats itself.

But yes i never seen this either,I'm here scratching my head and i can't figure it out.

Top part is burns but the rest of the wick is fine,vapes like a fresh rewick job so it doesn't affect the performance but the location of the burn park is what has me puzzled.

cheers

• Informative
Reactions: Pigs

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia
Sometimes one side of the cotton (not in the coil,just the side) as darker than the other,sometimes just one side is dark and the other almost white...it just varies.

Unless the cotton is in need of changing (the cotton inside the coil is darker color ranging from brownish to dark pitch black) the flavor doesn't seem affected at all.

Wish i could post a pic,old camera got busted and i don't own a smartphone,let me use a pic i found in google:

View attachment 922995

-cotton is not as white as the picture,not burnt just has that greying ''normal wet'' look.

Since i own another Hellvape Destiny i will rewick tomorrow and use as my main and see if the situation repeats itself.

But yes i never seen this either,I'm here scratching my head and i can't figure it out.

Top part is burns but the rest of the wick is fine,vapes like a fresh rewick job so it doesn't affect the performance but the location of the burn park is what has me puzzled.

cheers
It is puzzling. I wonder is the wick with the dark mark touching the chimney/chamber? I don't own a Destiny so don't know how small the chamber is.

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia

View attachment 922995

cheers
Does it look anything like this?

Dark Wick.jpg

• Winner

Javichu

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2020
Spain
Does it look anything like this?

View attachment 922997

Like that,well similar but just the black path,nothing else...rest looks white (well greyish because it's wet with e-liquid)

It is puzzling. I wonder is the wick with the dark mark touching the chimney/chamber? I don't own a Destiny so don't know how small the chamber is.

I kinda thinking the same,might be the chamber.
Heck can't be the coil because my friend from the store just change it for me like less than a week ago.

Also happened with the previous coil which btw had like less than 20 day of use (high ohm coil,didn't like it) so ok let us just say it has to do with the chamber burning the coil.

Do i just kinda press it down a bit and cut until it doesn't arc upwards?

single_coiled_wicked_large.jpg

Using this pic because it doesn't look anything like my wicking,from the edge of the last turn of the coil should i just make it go downward so it looks like the pic?

Chamber part you mentioned is the only thing that seems to make sense,could be i had to much ''arching'' in my wicking.

Cheers

• Winner

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia
Like that,well similar but just the black path,nothing else...rest looks white (well greyish because it's wet with e-liquid)

I kinda thinking the same,might be the chamber.
Heck can't be the coil because my friend from the store just change it for me like less than a week ago.

Also happened with the previous coil which btw had like less than 20 day of use (high ohm coil,didn't like it) so ok let us just say it has to do with the chamber burning the coil.

Do i just kinda press it down a bit and cut until it doesn't arc upwards?

View attachment 923009

Using this pic because it doesn't look anything like my wicking,from the edge of the last turn of the coil should i just make it go downward so it looks like the pic?

Chamber part you mentioned is the only thing that seems to make sense,could be i had to much ''arching'' in my wicking.

Cheers
If it doesn't taste burnt I wouldn't worry about it. I assumed mine was a chemical reaction making some bits darker where they brush the chamber. Could be wrong but nothing else makes sense because I never get any hint of a burnt taste.
If it does worry you maybe the best way to avoid it is to trim the bulging parts of your wick.

• Winner

Javichu

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2020
Spain
If it doesn't taste burnt I wouldn't worry about it. I assumed mine was a chemical reaction making some bits darker where they brush the chamber. Could be wrong but nothing else makes sense because I never get any hint of a burnt taste.
If it does worry you maybe the best way to avoid it is to trim the bulging parts of your wick.

Yeh next time i will try and trim the bulge archy part from the top.
After that hopefully i won't see those burn marks on the top.

Thanks a bunch for the help buddy,you da' man.

• Winner

sahsah

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
los angeles, california, USA

When you dry fire your coil before it’s wick’d, is it firing evenly from the center outwards without any hot spots heating up more (ie brighter and hotter) than the rest of the coil?? That’d be my guess as to the source of the issue ‍♂️

• Useful

sahsah

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
los angeles, california, USA

Oh lol I’m sorry, just realized this post was a year ago and therefore I’m guessing you resolved the issue by now…

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread