Switch to Vaping "cold turkey" or did you transistion slowly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emily33

Apr 25, 2012
Kansas City, MO
So here is my first post for the newbe boards which isn't a question or replying to someone else's post. :blush:

I was reading a thread that said MOST people switch to vaping slowly, while still continuing to smoke at first instead of switching to vaping cold turkey. I was wondering if that was really true or if it was more 50/50?

The only stories I know are my friend and I's. We got our kits at the same time, and she chose to go slow...turned out to be really slow. It ended up taking over a year to finally quit smoking all the way. And it didn't happen until she got really sick and it hurt her throat to smoke.
I ended up quitting right away... kind of by tricking my mind I think. First I reminded myself when you reallly think about it, you're still getting the nicotine the "fix" it's just a different delivery system. And then I decided to at least see how many days I could go without smoking by vaping instead. I even kept my pack of cigs at the house that week, just in case. (for me personally, if I didn't have the ability/option to smoke, it would make me want it even more.) So I told myself I would keep them on hand, while I tried to see if I could get through at least 2 days without them.
Now this is how I think I kinda tricked my mind. I had my e-Cig on my at allllllll times. Every single time I wanted a cig, I vaped the crap out of my eCig until the feeling passed. It was in my hand or pocket unless I was sleeping lol. Having something to actually do when you want to smoke, instead of just telling yourself "no"" was a huge help. I just kept doing it, over and over. I wanted to smoke and I would vape like crazy until either the feeling passed or I got distracted by something else. Then surprisingly some point during the third day it hit me, I wasn't craving a cig and thinking "I need a cig, so I have to vape instead"....I was actually thinking "I need a vape" I was actually craving the eCig instead of the the real cig. I'd done it! The "want" for a cig was over already, and it was so much easier and faster than I thought.
Now I will admit on the 4th or 5th day I really wanted to just try a cig, out of curiosity. Because it felt so weird not to WANT one. Now obviously I don't recommend this to people but I did take two drags off of a cig. And OMG!!! Holy freaking crap, it was sooooo gross!! It literally tasted like it when you smoked for the very first time. And I guess smoking never actually reallytaste goood, it wasn't a yummy taste. But it WAS enjoyable and didn't taste bad, unless you had to smoke a diff brand or something. But this was different, waaay worse than an "off brand" yucky cig. It was just and unbelievably gross taste/feel. So that sealed the deal for me, I was officially a non-smoker from then on. And I knew that if I ever did think maybe I want a cig (if I was drinking or something) I knew it was not going to be like it use to, it would be gross. Plus like I said, I already ENJOYED vaping, instead of it being what I have to do to keep from smoking. (And it turns out that a few months later I read your taste buds start healing right away after quitting smoking. And after 2 days "normal taste returns". This explained why my regular cigs tasted so disgusting after not smoking for only 3 or 4 days.)

Anyway, I was just curious how many of you transitioned vs quit right away? And if it was dificult for very long?
I wanted to share my experience for anyone out there deciding whether to quit slowly or right away. I'm sure the process is different for everyone, but my personal suggestion is to think about just trying to go for the 2 or 3 days to see if it works for you, before assuming you have to do it slowly. If I had known it would only be a few days, I would have gotten my kit a lot sooner than I did. :D

Kele

Feb 13, 2013
Texas
I did a little of both. Had one pack left. Did both for a couple of days, then when I finished that pack, never smoked another cigarette again. One thing I've noticed, everyone I know who got tobacco flavors kept smoking. Everyone who got just anything besides tobacco transitioned over. Granted, that's a limited group of about 20, but it's held true for all.

xrufx

Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Southern Oregon
I think that's a great example of how us humans can adapt. When put into a situation with limited options, we'll take the best of the bunch. Telling yourself no cigs made your brain realize the only option was to vape. Same with me. I still have my half-pack in the drawer. I look it every now and then and don't pine for one. I enjoy vaping. I don't enjoy cigs.

In my case it was put the pack down, pick the e-cig up. It was a instant transition and I'm happily still vaping.

MikeRocGuy

Nov 15, 2012
United States
Hey Emily, Great job and congrats!! I am somewhat new the forums and kind of followed on your friends foot steps. I tried like 3 or 4 of the E cigarettes over the last few years. The problems for me were short battery life and I hated ordering online. So I got a 2 pack of the SafeCig as a gift from my dad, it was a groupon, any one else groupon addicts besides me? Sorry off topic. So I had enough stuff to really make a go at it and then I found a local shop had opened that sold some vape stuff. So I managed to get a couple of refills there and I saw my first Clearomizer set up and thought it looked bad .... A battery that can go all day without switching? A tank and not some goofy sponge? I tried it out a week later and while I got ripped off at the store, charged me $20 for an EGO charger. I have never looked back!

IntelligentDesigner

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I had an open pack when I bought my PV kit. I didn't smoke another analog for the rest of the day. The first cigarette of the morning was always my favorite and the hardest to quit. So, that was the only one I'd smoke all day until that opened pack was gone. Other than that, it was the e-cig. When that pack was gone, so was my cigarette habit. I only smoked about half of the last one because it just wasn't doing it for me. I've had little to no craving for an analog cigarette since beginning vaping. I still have an unopened pack of cigarettes from that day in my night stand.

daventura

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2013
In a van ............down by the river
My experience.

Tried my friends eGo clearo setup.
Was already very interested in quitting.
Found it intriguing.
There was some gurgle and the sound the coil makes perplexed me.

Bought a $10 disposable EZ cig the next day.
Found myself still craving "something".

Went out drinking, bought a pack, smoked a few, felt bad, vowed to find a replacement.

The next day, went to a B & M and bought an eGo kit and few clearos.

Haven't had an analog since.

Don't miss them at all...after 30 years.

Of course, YMMV.

Congrats and welcome to the neighborhood.

Dj tank

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Ann Arbor michigan
I quit the day I fired up the new mod I'd purchased. Hadn't really planned to quit cold turkey... But I loved the flavor of the juice I ordered and felt satisfied because I got a good unit that produced a nice thick vapor...so it felt like I was smoking. Been a bit over a week now and like you Bout mid through the week I bummed a smoke and took two drags and put it out. Man what did I see in those things for 30 years!!! I love vaping favors of strawberries and cream, cinnamon roll, blueberry, etc way more than I loved analogs.

clnire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Florida
have not had another analog since my first e cig. It was a drug store disposable but I needed to quit, hated the smell, dirt, expense, etc. etc. Tried an e cig and told myself I can do this. Never went back. Now have a nice eGo setup and enjoy the convenience and taste of vaping so much more! It's only been 2 months but I will never go back

Tjloa

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
Las Vegas by way of NYC
Cold Turkey. I just started on Dec 31 2012 at 1:30PM. I had seen quite a few of my co workers using these. So that day I decided to follow through on a New Years resolution I've broken so many times through the years. On my way to the shop I had just opened a pack of cigs smoked one on the way. When I got to the store and many questions and trying of I don't know how many flavors I bought my first kit of ego twists the kit came with 2 1000mah batteries a clearomizer for each and the charging plug. I then bought 8 diff juices with 6 more clearos. I was puffing away the moment I left the store and haven't touched a cig since. I think part of my being able to go cold turkey was that one of the flavors I got was menthol since I smoked menthol cigs so when I got the erge for I cig I would vape the menthol. Actually I vape menthol when I first wake up so I get the sensation like I'm smoking a cig and after meals but the rest of the time I vape a few diff flavors. I haven't touched a cig since and haven't looked back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread