What are Nicotine salts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shepherdsdriving

Dec 23, 2018
Wisconsin
Hello, so I’ve been suggested to use nicotine salts but I’m not sure what they really are. I don’t know who should use them, why to use them, where to buy them, or really anything on the matter. Could use some help learning what they are and really just some basic knowledge. Thank you all for reading and I’d really appreciate your input!

MrsWood

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2018
Hello, so I’ve been suggested to use nicotine salts but I’m not sure what they really are. I don’t know who should use them, why to use them, where to buy them, or really anything on the matter. Could use some help learning what they are and really just some basic knowledge. Thank you all for reading and I’d really appreciate your input!

When you vape EJuice made with traditional freebase nicotine, most people wouldn’t choose something over 18mg, as the hit would be much too harsh. However, with Nicotine Salts, most people who vape EJuice 3mg made with freebase nicotine are able to comfortably vape 25mg-50mg Nicotine Salts and Nicotine Salts help to mimic the sensation of smoking a combustible cigarette.

Nicotine salts are great for pod systems and MTL vaping. Such as the Renova Zero, GeekVape Flint, Sourin Vagon Or Sourin Drop and several others.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: WorksForMe

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Nicotine salts are freebase nic mixed with a mild acid. Generally benzoic acid, but it could be any acid. This produces a reaction with the basic nic and creates a salt. Salts are more variable in their throat hit and have much less research done on them. Most salts have reduced felt throat hit where a few actually have increased throat hit. Salts because of this can in theory be vaped in much higher concentrations without making you cough. This is good and bad. A very high nic concentration can be more addictive for one. Having vaped both I personally don’t like salts much. They make my lungs feel heavy and I cough anyway.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
@bombastinator has covered what they are, so I'll focus on your other questions.

Who should use them:
People who can't satisfy their nicotine addiction with freebase nicotine. If you're still having nicotine cravings after increasing your freebase nicotine levels as much as you can without coughing a lung up, nic salts are definitely worth looking at.

Who should not use them:
Anyone not already addicted to nicotine and anyone who's managing well with freebase nicotine. High levels of nic salts are probably more addictive than lower levels of freebase, so there's no point going there if you're not trying to stop smoking. Also, as bombastinator said, we have even less information about nic salts than about freebase nic, so it's better to stick to freebase if it works for you. If it doesn't, we're back to the fact that nic salts are very unlikely to be worse than cigarettes, so why not try?

Where to buy:
It's quite widely available now. Many places that sell ejuice or DIY supplies offer both freebase and salt nic, so if the shop you're looking at doesn't, just try the next one.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
@bombastinator has covered what they are, so I'll focus on your other questions.

Who should use them:
People who can't satisfy their nicotine addiction with freebase nicotine. If you're still having nicotine cravings after increasing your freebase nicotine levels as much as you can without coughing a lung up, nic salts are definitely worth looking at.

Who should not use them:
Anyone not already addicted to nicotine and anyone who's managing well with freebase nicotine. High levels of nic salts are probably more addictive than lower levels of freebase, so there's no point going there if you're not trying to stop smoking. Also, as bombastinator said, we have even less information about nic salts than about freebase nic, so it's better to stick to freebase if it works for you. If it doesn't, we're back to the fact that nic salts are very unlikely to be worse than cigarettes, so why not try?

Where to buy:
It's quite widely available now. Many places that sell ejuice or DIY supplies offer both freebase and salt nic, so if the shop you're looking at doesn't, just try the next one.
That is exactly why I have not tried the salts. I smoked for decades, made the switch completely and easily to vaping 6-7 years ago, decreased my nic from 50 to between 2 and 3mg and am happy where I am at.

I guess it is helpful to some folks. For me, I already have a negative opinion of Juul and I just do not to mess with salts. I can go without vaping for hours or days and not freak out. I have a feeling that would not be the same with the salts.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I tried nic salts twice. 35ml made me wheez. I still wanted to smoke.

A 24 was better but I mixed it with a 6ml to get it way less nicotine. I wanted to try 12 but my local shop maxes out at 6.

I was using 3 and went to 6 and cravings were reduced better than using a 35 or 24.

Later I tried a prefill with 50. Good gosh I was high. First puff while driving wasn't one of my best ideas.

Overall nic salt seems to increase my urge to smoke.

stormjib

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2014
California
I love the taste of nic salts. Maybe that's weird, idk. I only started vaping salts about a month ago, been vaping for a little over four years. I find that the salts don't have the peppery taste of freebase, and have almost a citrusy flavor. I bought a bottle of salt base, 72mg, and mix it with 3 mg freebase juice, to get to whatever level I feel like, since I usually only mix about 15 mls at a time. usually around 10 mg but sometimes as high as 35. I find that I vape way less with the higher nic. With freebase I bounced between 3 and 6 mg. I prefer to have a little of the freebase in with the salts. The salts taste cleaner, allowing me to vape higher nic and less juice.
I use rda's and rta's, no pods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread