Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Thanks so much! Do you have a specific brand of wire you suggest? I was thinking Tempco, as that's the kanthal I always used, but is there a better option for 316L. I honestly never have a problem with dry hits or anything like that, but figured I would maybe get a little more life out of my wick with tc, as I tend to chain vape.
Do you vape in both power and TC mode, and if so, what is your preference?

I'm just transitioning to TC, so I'm still learning myself. I like to keep it simple. I haven't had a dry hit in years either, but there's some evidence that bad things begin to appear in vapor at temperatures above 420°F and you can't just "tell" when it happens.

New studies find carcinogens in vg and pg at high temps, even in tootle puffers

I always used Temco's Kanthal, but since they were sold out of 28 g ss 316L last time I looked, someone recommended UD brand--I got two small spools (28 and 26g) from Fasttech and they are great.

ETA: SS doesn't form a protective layer of aluminum oxide like Kanthal does, so do not torch, dry burn or otherwise overheat the dry ss wire--just clean it first with Isopropyl alcohol or soap and water, rinse, dry and build. To check your build, pulse gently a few times at low wattage until it just begins to glow.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I dry burn all my ss 316 builds for the past 2 years and no problem.

With all due respect, you wouldn't know if you had a problem or not without a lab analysis or a chest x-ray. :D It's entirely up to you how you treat your wires. But because there is some cause for concern/caution, I've decided to err on the side of caution and only pulse my coils very gently. YMMV, of course.

This Is What Happens When You Dry Burn Metal E Cig Coils

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
With all due respect, you wouldn't know if you had a problem or not without a lab analysis or a chest x-ray. :D It's entirely up to you how you treat your wires. But because there is some cause for concern/caution, I've decided to err on the side of caution and only pulse my coils very gently. YMMV, of course.

This Is What Happens When You Dry Burn Metal E Cig Coils
I totally respect your position but I smoked for 40 years before I switched to vaping about 2 years ago. I am way beyond worrying about what could kill me. I just do whatever makes me feel better. It is a personal choice.

Reactions: vapdivrr

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I totally respect your position but I smoked for 40 years before I switched to vaping about 2 years ago. I am way beyond worrying about what could kill me. I just do whatever makes me feel better. It is a personal choice.

Absolutely. Like I said--"it's entirely up to you."

This forum is all about sharing information--it's up to every member to do decide what they are going to do with the information provided. :)

Cirus

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
If anyone can give me a good starting point, I would appreciate it. My Normal vape is usually right around 1 ohm using 27 gauge kanthal, at 13-15 watts. Was thinking maybe picking up 28 gauge SS, as I've worked a lot with that gauge in the past.
I don't have this tank (thinking of getting one) but I just switched from Kanthal to SS (love it). Someone correct me if I'm wrong but with a 3mm ID and resistance of 1

27ga Kanthal is about 5-6 wraps
28ga SS316L is about 8
30ga SS316 is about 5 wraps

Just something to consider if space is limited. I didn't consider this when I went from 28ga Kanthal to 26 ga SS316L, so while I would like to be around 1ohm, which is about 13 wraps, I am currently at .6ohms and 7 wraps (barely spaced) on my Tobeco KFv5 clone.

Hi Kaya! Old GS Air Fan here.

icebat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
KS
I'm just transitioning to TC, so I'm still learning myself. I like to keep it simple. I haven't had a dry hit in years either, but there's some evidence that bad things begin to appear in vapor at temperatures above 420°F and you can't just "tell" when it happens.

New studies find carcinogens in vg and pg at high temps, even in tootle puffers

I always used Temco's Kanthal, but since they were sold out of 28 g ss 316L last time I looked, someone recommended UD brand--I got two small spools (28 and 26g) from Fasttech and they are great.

ETA: SS doesn't form a protective layer of aluminum oxide like Kanthal does, so do not torch, dry burn or otherwise overheat the dry ss wire--just clean it first with Isopropyl alcohol or soap and water, rinse, dry and build. To check your build, pulse gently a few times at low wattage until it just begins to glow.

Thank you for the tips, I appreciate your help. Going to order some SS and give it a shot.

gandsr

Verified Member
May 9, 2014
Berwick, ME, USA
Received my first two Doggies, from FT, yesterday in the mail. I was too busy (read lazy here) last night to get to it. Ran it through the ultra sonic cleaner this morning, though it was fairly clean. I didn't smell any machine oil. My first attempt at coiling and wicking was a 3mm id 28g 316l ss coil seven wraps spaced. I always run in tc. Miserable failure. Too hot, flavor non existent. Tinkered with that build for about an hour got it to vape correctly just didn't like it.
Having enough wire and cellu cotton to last several lifetimes I decided to try again. So I pulled that build and went for a 2.5mm id 28g 316l ss coil seven wraps spaced and waalaa. Night and day difference! This is probably the best flavor(taste) I have had with this particular e juice.
I will run some other flavors through it over the next couple of days. If it produces the same results I see several more Doggies being ordered.
Heck for the price I may any way!

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Received my first two Doggies, from FT, yesterday in the mail. I was too busy (read lazy here) last night to get to it. Ran it through the ultra sonic cleaner this morning, though it was fairly clean. I didn't smell any machine oil. My first attempt at coiling and wicking was a 3mm id 28g 316l ss coil seven wraps spaced. I always run in tc. Miserable failure. Too hot, flavor non existent. Tinkered with that build for about an hour got it to vape correctly just didn't like it.
Having enough wire and cellu cotton to last several lifetimes I decided to try again. So I pulled that build and went for a 2.5mm id 28g 316l ss coil seven wraps spaced and waalaa. Night and day difference! This is probably the best flavor(taste) I have had with this particular e juice.
I will run some other flavors through it over the next couple of days. If it produces the same results I see several more Doggies being ordered.
Heck for the price I may any way!
So maybe it had something to do with the airflow not cooling the bigger coil? Seems a 7 wrap , 3mm coil would be the cooler vape compared to the 7 wrap 2.5 coil

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Katya

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Well as the title says "SXK" and those are the only ones I have ... the SJMY doggies are not really MTL IMHO and much too airy for me.

I understand, but since both have been discussed here earlier, I just wanted to make sure. I actually prefer the SJMY Doggy because it's more open.

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Are you guys talking about the SXK or SJMY Doggies? They have different airflow port diameter (1.8 vs 2.4 mm), so maybe that plays a role? I use a 2.5 mm coil in my SJMY and it's a very nice vape.
I run one SJMY and one SXK all day every day and use 2mm id coils in both,just slightly lower ohms in the SJMY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread