SXmini M Class + Subtank Mini RBA = all over the map

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Therein lies the rub, I think we are going to find out real soon that the previous vape experience many people enjoyed using traditional kanthal (and I'm not talking extreme wattage or builds) are running quite a bit higher temps than the recommended TC range. I know I can tell a big difference running a Ni200 occ coil at 420-450 degrees and 25-30 watts, and a regular .5 ohm occ at 20-22 watts...not even close. It will be interesting when some info comes out on the temp/liquid studies...

Well it depends who's recommending. If you take recommendations from people who don't understand TC you might not get a good experience. I recommend 480-520 for OCC coils (dna boards).

mesamay2003

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2015
AZ, USA
Well, upping the temp certainly helps, but at some point it almost defeats the purpose. I saw an interview with one of the Evolv guys saying he recommended staying below 500 degrees, and only went that high with silica wicks...so I guess TC will be more valuable when we finally get some clear info on what temp range to avoid...hopefully, when determined, that range will still provide a vape that is satisfying.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
It doesn't defeat the purpose. There's nothing really wrong with TC functioning at any given temperature. You have to understand what the number represents, and it's not the temperature of the juice or wick.

Also, you can think of it this way, non-controlled is the equivalent of setting it to, say, 9999 degrees.

Agreed. It's worth pointing out that people are also reporting getting great vapes with temperatures of 350f or even less with some attest and builds. This is below the BP of PG and well below VG but it works! Temperature in this context is an approximation at best!!

mesamay2003

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2015
AZ, USA
Understood, but you can control it to a relative degree in traditional vaping, by the wattage setting, draw technique/length of draw, airflow, etc. My understanding of one of the main points of TC vaping is to avoid the temp threshold of the release of harmful chemicals (whatever that may end up being), while maintaining the characteristics that make vaping satisfying to so many. That last part is going to be the real trick, especially since so many folks are now used to, and expect very warm and dense vapor. Time will tell, I guess...

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Agreed. It's worth pointing out that people are also reporting getting great vapes with temperatures of 350f or even less with some attest and builds. This is below the BP of PG and well below VG but it works! Temperature in this context is an approximation at best!!

Well ... that only happens on YiHi mods or unrefined DNAs.

Understood, but you can control it to a relative degree in traditional vaping, by the wattage setting, draw technique/length of draw, airflow, etc. My understanding of one of the main points of TC vaping is to avoid the temp threshold of the release of harmful chemicals (whatever that may end up being), while maintaining the characteristics that make vaping satisfying to so many. That last part is going to be the real trick, especially since so many folks are now used to, and expect very warm and dense vapor. Time will tell, I guess...

Sort of, but controlling the temperature is only one aspect of temperature control. With that control comes a more robust ability to control the overall experience. "Manual temperature control" is more or less linear in nature.

As for the potential for harmful byproducts, again understand that the displayed temperature may not be the temperature of the juice. In any event you will have no less control over those byproducts than with uncontrolled vaping, but certainly a lot, lot more.

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
You have to understand what the number represents, and it's not the temperature of the juice or wick.

It's not the temp of the liquid that we're limiting?

I know how much you love the DNA, so here's a quote from John (from Evolve, you know, the engineer that designed the DNA40 and knows more about how it works than anyone else on the interwebz):

"John: No – that’s not it. And there’s actually a fairly excessive write-up I did in the non claim section of our patent. Essentially, if you had infinite wicking what you’re doing with higher wattage is that you’re actually generating more vapor. If you can wick it, the amount of vapor you get is directly proportional to the wattage you’re putting in exactly on a one to one basis. So given infinite wicking, twice as much wattage gives you twice as much vapor, and given infinite wicking it’s actually at the same temperature. What happens is you heat up the liquid to the boiling point, you apply a finite amount of power at the boiling point and then it turns into a vapor and goes off in the airstream. So you don’t need high temperature to get high wattages or to get high amounts of vapor because the vapor will always be at the boiling point.

So we are wattage dominant. The DNA40 is a temperature protected system, not a temperature regulated system. In a temperature regulated system you might say: “Okay, I’m going to keep this playing at 410 degrees,” but you would have literally minimal to no control over how much vapor comes out: if that temperature’s above the boiling point it will simply boil off everything that gets to it immediately, which isn’t really what you want: that’s not very controllable. So what we do is we say, “At 21 you’re going to get a certain number of millilitres of use per hour or second or whatever,”. So you say: “I want this much vapor, that gives me this much nicotine per draw,” and then if it gets to the maximum temperature then and only then will it back off the wattage, and it will give you less vapor to hold it below that temperature."

Interesting... Even Evolv is quick to point out that they are using Temp Control to keep you from overly exceeding the boiling point of the liquid, as I have suggested and been shot down on many occasions. Additionally, Evolv's own engineer suggests that when calculating watt values in temp control there should be a time and / or consumption component. Something like Joules? Maybe YiHi wasn't so far off the mark?

Anyway... Just something to reference back to the next time you need to know what Evolv thinks Temp Control is for... You seem to have differing opinions on the subject...

Reactions: JimScotty0

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
It's not the temp of the liquid that we're limiting?

The number displayed is the average temperature of the coil. How that relates to the temperature of the liquid is affected by a great many other variables.

For example, in cotton burn tests there is no liquid at all.

It is really, really crucially important to understand this. It is one of the main stumbling points to people understanding temp control and the main reason why people fail to have good results with accurate systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread