Status
Not open for further replies.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Would you REALLY want to mess with cloned electronics, when your life is potentially at stake? I could understand some use cases for mechanical clones, but it really isn't smart to go down the path of cloned electronics. Guess it all comes down to Darwain, and his yearly awards.

I'm not sure that statement holds any water.
Exactly what is Cloned electronics?
:lol:

Last edited:

Highwayman1224

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Goodyear, AZ
LMAO!!!!! Are you serious?!
Would you REALLY want to mess with cloned electronics, when your life is potentially at stake? I could understand some use cases for mechanical clones, but it really isn't smart to go down the path of cloned electronics. Guess it all comes down to Darwain, and his yearly awards.

Reactions: Bikenstein

JohnD0406

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I'm not sure that statement holds any water.
Exactly what is Cloned electronics?

They're not using authentic Yihi SX chips in the clone are they? The whole clone is cheaper than you can buy an authentic SXJ board. So, the electronics are cloned as well as the physical mod. Would you trust it? I certainly wouldn't.

Maybe you misunderstood my post and thought I was talking about the authentic SXmini - I was referring to the posts by ThunderDan and Unior referencing Focalecig and "SXmini style" clones. Hope that clears things up.

PS - I have an authentic S class, and M class.

jstrong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
Virginia
I have tried countless times to replace my Mini with the latest and greatest and still nothing can take it's place. If Yihi would come out with a V2 Mini Dual 18650 same form factor just with 2 batteries and not use the extension tube I would be stoked. I want to try a DNA 200 but I had 6 really crappy 40's that all got refunded cause of glitches. I hope Yihi answers Evolv's 200 cause I feel the 200 was Evolv's answer to the SX Mini now it is time for Yihi to one up them again. I have had my Mini for a few months in a sleeve and no paint issues

JohnD0406

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I have tried countless times to replace my Mini with the latest and greatest and still nothing can take it's place.

I've played with a few other regulated mods, but nothing has attracted me away from my SX. However, the VaporFlask is tempting, though I don't like the new buttons - the old buttons looked more classy.

If Yihi would come out with a V2 Mini Dual 18650 same form factor just with 2 batteries and not use the extension tube I would be stoked.

YES! That's something I keep thinking about as well. It'd be great to have 2 cells in parallel, to avoid the voltage sag from a single cell that's only 1/4 empty (anyone using it at 50+ W/J knows what I'm talking about). Maybe even a way to switch between parallel and series to please everyone.

I want to try a DNA 200 but I had 6 really crappy 40's that all got refunded cause of glitches.

The small-screened 40's had issues. It turned out to be the screen itself, not the DNA board. That's why they switched to a larger screen in later production runs, and kept it for the DNA200. They also introduced a feature in the firmware for small-screen 40's that detects the problem and corrects it.

Reactions: jstrong

jstrong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
Virginia
I've played with a few other regulated mods, but nothing has attracted me away from my SX. However, the VaporFlask is tempting, though I don't like the new buttons - the old buttons looked more classy.

YES! That's something I keep thinking about as well. It'd be great to have 2 cells in parallel, to avoid the voltage sag from a single cell that's only 1/4 empty (anyone using it at 50+ W/J knows what I'm talking about). Maybe even a way to switch between parallel and series to please everyone.

The small-screened 40's had issues. It turned out to be the screen itself, not the DNA board. That's why they switched to a larger screen in later production runs, and kept it for the DNA200. They also introduced a feature in the firmware for small-screen 40's that detects the problem and corrects it.
I like the looks of the Flask as well. I had the big screen DNA's and they would all scramble. My Hana had the glitch that fixed the glitch haha

Reactions: JohnD0406

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
They're not using authentic Yihi SX chips in the clone are they? The whole clone is cheaper than you can buy an authentic SXJ board. So, the electronics are cloned as well as the physical mod. Would you trust it? I certainly wouldn't.

Maybe you misunderstood my post and thought I was talking about the authentic SXmini - I was referring to the posts by ThunderDan and Unior referencing Focalecig and "SXmini style" clones. Hope that clears things up.

PS - I have an authentic S class, and M class.

No, I just know the difference between ASSUMPTION and reality.
The very Mod mentioned says STYLE and does not say EXACT 1:1 Copy.
The S copy was clearly a Body copy with an entirely different functional capability chip and this one is likely the same.
Even if Functionally alike, both come from a Country where Identical products may come from several select producers so your assumption may be flawed.
Assuming Chip cost on the China market would be another false assumption. Westerners can be quick to over pay on world products.
Mercedes is often a Taxi in the EU, here a Luxury with a 10K plus import fee tacked on.

I own my Yihi because I wanted the Yihi. I would have had a knock off for out and about had they not vanished faster than they became available.

I do not buy into:
Only Provari
Only EVOLV
Only YIHI

Limitations in life:facepalm:

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
No, I just know the difference between ASSUMPTION and reality.
The very Mod mentioned says STYLE and does not say EXACT 1:1 Copy.
The S copy was clearly a Body copy with an entirely different functional capability chip and this one is likely the same.
Even if Functionally alike, both come from a Country where Identical products may come from several select producers so your assumption may be flawed.
Assuming Chip cost on the China market would be another false assumption. Westerners can be quick to over pay on world products.
Mercedes is often a Taxi in the EU, here a Luxury with a 10K plus import fee tacked on.

I own my Yihi because I wanted the Yihi. I would have had a knock off for out and about had they not vanished faster than they became available.

I do not buy into:
Only Provari
Only EVOLV
Only YIHI

Limitations in life:facepalm:
I'm sorry but Mercedes is just a luxury car in Europe as it is in the States.

The reason they use it for Taxis is that they are primarily "working horses". You can get a million km out of a Mercedes engine (or you could up to the W203 chassis at least) so although it will cost a minimum of 55K for a C class, Taxi drivers could use them for many years and the cost would balance out.

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.

footbag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
NEPA
I'm not sure what the argument is here. Maybe putting your life in danger is an overstatement, but Yihi is the only Chinese company that has really impressed me, or maybe even raised my expectations. I would expect a Yihi clone to be just as bad as all of my other Chinese devices. After that, it's just a matter of what your $$$ is worth to you.

It's not just the electronics that impressed me on the Yihi. Also the build quality.

If it wasn't for Yihi, I may not have given the VTBox200 a try. We'll see how that turns out.

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Regarding the cloned SX Mini Ms:

It's reasonable to assume the body will look and function close to identically the original. There may be small defects and imperfections, but it is very possible it's as good, or nearly as good. Paint is one area of concern.

Regarding the electronics, they will have been re-created by a new manufacturer. How well they function is completely up in the air. They will be identical in intent, but may well be different in the individual details of their function. We have seen this many times over with the DNA 40 clones. Overall they are very good - some even added features not found in the DNA 40, such as SXK's Nickel Purity (TCR scale). But they also often missed out features , most noticeably pre-heat. And none of them operated identically for TC because unlike the DNA 40, they did not replicate Ni200's precise TCR curve. They are not alone in this, no other TCR mod/chip has replicated that curve (including the Yihis). In practice it doesn't matter for a good TC vape, but it's still a difference.

As for putting life in danger, that's certainly a wild overstatement. I don't know who the chip has been made by but I will reasonable money it's a manufacturer already known to us, and even if not I would not for a moment consider there to be any risk. Putting together a chip is not a task one completes in a shed. The chip may well fall down on small details of the original, it may not function as well as the original. But it is not going to blow up in your face.

There's a chance - a small one perhaps - that it functions absolutely identically. The Yihi electronics is not so complicated that it would be hard to achieve that. Although one thing that will certainly be missing is FW upgrades. And I would be doubtful that they've implemented Titanium mode.

I've been toying with the idea of buying one. I like my SXM and I often use it as my "build a coil" mod, because of the quick and easy Set Resistance which I know to be accurate to three digits. I'd like to have a second one, but to fulfil that purpose it requires the resistance reading is as good, and that's a question mark. Some DNA 40 clones have good resistance, some not so good.

Another thing I like about the SXM is its upgradeability, which I am sure will not be present on the clone - though that's not a big deal on a half-price clone. I don't care if the POWERFUL/ECO etc modes work as I never use them.

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
OK @Vlad1 just linked to a tear down/comparison of the clone in the SXM clone thread. It's junk :)

The clone also does not read or detect ANY resistance with nickle or titanium and does not allow you to lock in the resistance. The chip is plagued with other issues and does not function even CLOSE to how the authentic does.

So I was wrong, in this case not even the intent was there, let alone the implementation. For $100 this is expensive junk. I wouldn't pay $20 for it.

If anyone does want a part cloned SXM, the route to go is to buy the cheapish $45 SX Mini J clone and put an authentic SX350J in it. in UK money that's £30 for the chassis and £60 for the chip = £90 versus £160. At least it is if you're able to fit the chip.

PS. This is a terrible clone, and goes to show that clones are by no means guaranteed and research must be done. Caveat emptor, buyer beware, and all that. But this does not in any way mean that all clones are bad. I have many clones, both atomizers and mods, and while some have their issues, overall I have been happy with all the purchases. Any issues that have existed have always been more than acceptable at the price point.

Had I bought this SXM it would have been my first and only really regretful clone purchase, but the experience of others saved me from that, which is why sharing such info is vital. But it shouldn't be taken as an example of why "all clones are bad, mmkay?". And regardless of its many faults, it would not have killed me :)

Last edited:
Reactions: GeorgeS

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Ok, I'm a big fan of TC mode. Out of the 4 mods I have currently in rotation 3 are used with TC builds and the last an iClk! with a K1 mounted that lives on my night stand.

SXminiM, IPV4S and the TC40 get most of the use. I prefer the 'dual adjustable' ramp of the SX350J (being able to set both ramp and Joules) however I can live without the feature in the 4S as well as don't mind to terribly that the little TC40 is non-adjustable in this regard.

As noted in another thread NiFe52 may very well be the future of TC vaping and at this point I think the SX chipsets lack of a user settable TCR may limit the current offerings usefulness in the near (or distant) future. (forgetting of course we may be able to use a temperature 'offset' or not)

So while the SXminiM is currently one of my favorite devices unless SX steps of their game I'm currently leaning towards something with a user adjustable TCR value so I can play with NiFe52 and other wire types.

Anyone else?

TheBloke

Ultra Member
    Verified Member
    Mar 30, 2015
    Brighton, UK
    Be aware that it's perfectly possible to vape NiFe52 on any mod, SXM included. I'm doing it right now with NiFe70, temp setting at 180°C in Ni200 mode. (NiFe52 will require a different, lower temperature.)

But yes, I do prefer adjustable TCR. We can't rule out that Yihi will add it eventually, it certainly wouldn't be hard for them to do. I am going to send them a request.

The DNA 200 is the clear and obvious choice for TCR adjusting mod, given its many advanced features. Dicodes is another, albeit only in expensive tubes at the moment. Then there's the SXKs, very cheap, but not as good a vape as many other mods. And the Smoks, XCube 2 and Koopor, sitting somewhere in between. They require temp offsets even with adjustable TCR, because they set the temp too low always. Eg you need to set 250°C to get 230°C. But they do have adjustable TCR, and a nice UI, and in the case of the XCube 2, they go up to 160W if you want/need that. Above all, they're very affordable - the XCube 2 is about the same price as the IPV4, and a very similar size/shape. The Koopor is smaller and cheaper, at the cost of power and some features.

But don't write off your "first gen" TC mods just yet - SXM, IPV4, DNA 40, etc. You can use NiFe52 perfectly well, you just need the right temperature setting. TCR of NiFe52 is 0.004 so you can either use a large offset in Ni200 mode, or a smaller offset in Titanium mode.

I'll do temp tests on the SXM and other mods as soon as I get my NiFe52. I won't bother with the NiFe30/70 I have right now because I think the 52 is going to be better for various reasons, and I hope to get some within two weeks.

Last edited:
    Reactions: JimScotty0

TheBloke

Ultra Member
    Verified Member
    Mar 30, 2015
    Brighton, UK

Vlad1

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2014
    Earth
    Ok, I'm a big fan of TC mode. Out of the 4 mods I have currently in rotation 3 are used with TC builds and the last an iClk! with a K1 mounted that lives on my night stand.

SXminiM, IPV4S and the TC40 get most of the use. I prefer the 'dual adjustable' ramp of the SX350J (being able to set both ramp and Joules) however I can live without the feature in the 4S as well as don't mind to terribly that the little TC40 is non-adjustable in this regard.

As noted in another thread NiFe52 may very well be the future of TC vaping and at this point I think the SX chipsets lack of a user settable TCR may limit the current offerings usefulness in the near (or distant) future. (forgetting of course we may be able to use a temperature 'offset' or not)

So while the SXminiM is currently one of my favorite devices unless SX steps of their game I'm currently leaning towards something with a user adjustable TCR value so I can play with NiFe52 and other wire types.

Anyone else?

I understand your view but I think there are two sides of the fence here. On one side you have the techy folks that will want to tweek and tune any and every setting they can, but on the other side there will be those that just want to pick up a device and vape it. I think the majority of vapers fall into the pick up and vape it category. I don't think many want to get the TCR values and program their devices on a continual basis for different wire every time there's a new "Better" wire on the market. And I'm not a metallurgist to know what wire is safe and what's not and at what temperature so I rely on the device manufactures to identify that for me via my coil selection type. The nice thing about the SXMini M is that if Yihi decide to support other wires they can provide a firmware update to allow the use of that new "Better" wire and the end user could simply select that wire type. Alternatively the users could use an offset like many did prior to the ver. 2.23 firmware update when they were using Ti in Ni200 mode. So for me it's not a major factor.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread