Status
Not open for further replies.

Croak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2012
Right behind you...
The confusing bit is the ability to off set the temp when locking the resistance

Not required if TCR can be set

Is this a gimmick they are calling adjustable TCR or can you really dial it in

Beta Testers must know ?

I'm wondering if this "temp offset" is actually something that lets you input the TCR for the temp range you are actually wanting to vape at, rather than just a flat, single point TCR that has to cover the entire 200-572f/100-300c range. Poor man's curve, so to speak, and could yield far more accurate results with "non-standard" temp control wire (NiFe, SS, etc) AND with Ni200/Ti01.

If so, makes me a bit sad I sold my SXM now. Was just too damned heavy for what I wanted out of a "pocket mod". Much happier in that respect with my cheaply constructed (but flawlessly performing) ipv D2.

I reckon if this TCR theory of mine proves out, I'll get off the fence and pull the trigger on a SX Vaporflask, which weighs about the same as a SXM, but has dual battery endurance to justify the weight.

Reactions: JimScotty0

druckle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
With metals your right the resistance curve as the wire heats is not linear & one setting will not work across all temp ranges

It will how ever work at the average final user temp

Does Escibe allow you to plot variable TCR curves ?

I use the TCR in SXK devices that works really well especially for their price, they fall short though with the light switch style control

If Yihi can add TCR with an update :thumb:

Yes, eScribe allows a curve to be entered for TCR

Duane

Reactions: Quantum Mech

Quantum Mech

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2015
UK
I'm wondering if this "temp offset" is actually something that lets you input the TCR for the temp range you are actually wanting to vape at, rather than just a flat, single point TCR that has to cover the entire 200-572f/100-300c range. Poor man's curve, so to speak, and could yield far more accurate results with "non-standard" temp control wire (NiFe, SS, etc) AND with Ni200/Ti01.

If so, makes me a bit sad I sold my SXM now. Was just too damned heavy for what I wanted out of a "pocket mod". Much happier in that respect with my cheaply constructed (but flawlessly performing) IPV D2.

I reckon if this TCR theory of mine proves out, I'll get off the fence and pull the trigger on a SX Vaporflask, which weighs about the same as a SXM, but has dual battery endurance to justify the weight.

There is definitely a Manual TCR setting

Have this from a trusted source now and the accuracy of adjustment by '0's after the decimal point is spot on

I take my hat off to Yihi for the soon to be released Free upgrade

My order for SS & Resi has already been made

jazzvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
USA
Yes, eScribe allows a curve to be entered for TCR

Duane

The update takes a TCR value with no need for an offset, referred to as "Compensate". The offset can be used in lieu of a TCR value, as was done before a TCR was available, but is completely unnecessary if you have an accurate TCR value.

These can be found in the TC Beyond Ni 200... thread.

The only value that was a troublesome was for SS 316L. But using the value for 316 with adjustment (to taste) works. I like the 120 range. Here an "offset" may be desirable...or not.

Bottom line the update does what it was intended to do.

Tested with: SS 430, SS 316 L, and NiFe52/48 (Zivipf). And of course Ni 200 and Ti.

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Garden Grove, CA, USA
www.facebook.com
The update takes a TCR value with no need for an offset, referred to as "Compensate". The offset can be used in lieu of a TCR value, as was done before a TCR was available, but is completely unnecessary if you have an accurate TCR value.

These can be found in the TC Beyond Ni 200... thread.

The only value that was a troublesome was for SS 316L. But using the value for 316 with adjustment (to taste) works. I like the 120 range. Here an "offset" may be desirable...or not.

Bottom line the update does what it was intended to do.

Tested with: SS 430, SS 316 L, and NiFe52/48 (Zivipf). And of course Ni 200 and Ti.
@jazzvaper what value are you using for NiFe52? How do you like the vape with it? Waiting for mine to arrive soon.

jazzvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
USA

jazzvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
USA
Ok so if it says in that post 0.0035 it is actually .035 or is it .35

My ERROR, the upgrade actually has the TCR as displayed in the TC Beyond Ni 200 thread.

I shorten them coz it's easier to remember. For me: 138 (SS 430), 120 (SS 316L, modified), 405 (NiFe 52).

Apology...

notarobot

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2015
Germany
The confusing bit is the ability to off set the temp when locking the resistance

Not required if TCR can be set

Is this a gimmick they are calling adjustable TCR or can you really dial it in

Beta Testers must know ?

I guess this is used to compensate lower/higher ambient temperature than "normal".

In addition to the TCR, the reference temperature at calibration time is needed which was previously assumed to be 20ºC/68ºF (zero offset). Knowing the temperature offset, the TC can easily derive the reference resistance at 20ºC and use this value for temperature calculations.

The TCR α is defined as:

R(T) = R(20ºC)·(1 + α·(T - 20ºC))

If you calibrate your coil at temperature T₀ = 20ºC + t, where t is the temperature offset, you are measuring resistance

R(T₀) = R(20ºC)·(1 + α·(T₀ - 20ºC)) = R(20ºC)·(1 + α·t)

Thus,

R(20ºC) = R(T₀)/(1 + α·t)

should be used by the TC algorithm as the reference resistance at 20ºC.

Example: you are locking your Titanium coil in winter at 0ºC. The temperature offset is -20ºC. Assume the resistance is measured as R(-20ºC) = 0.5Ω. With a TCR of 0.0035/ºC for titanium, R(20ºC) = 0.5Ω/(1 - 20ºC·0.0035/ºC) = 0.5Ω/(1 - 0.07) = 0.538Ω. This is the resistance that would have been measured if you went inside a 20ºC room before calibrating your coil.

Quantum Mech

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2015
UK
I guess this is used to compensate lower/higher ambient temperature than "normal".

In addition to the TCR, the reference temperature at calibration time is needed which was previously assumed to be 20ºC/68ºF (zero offset). Knowing the temperature offset, the TC can easily derive the reference resistance at 20ºC and use this value for temperature calculations.

The TCR α is defined as:

R(T) = R(20ºC)·(1 + α·(T - 20ºC))

If you calibrate your coil at temperature T₀ = 20ºC + t, where t is the temperature offset, you are measuring resistance

R(T₀) = R(20ºC)·(1 + α·(T₀ - 20ºC)) = R(20ºC)·(1 + α·t)

Thus,

R(20ºC) = R(T₀)/(1 + α·t)

should be used by the TC algorithm as the reference resistance at 20ºC.

Example: you are locking your Titanium coil in winter at 0ºC. The temperature offset is -20ºC. Assume the resistance is measured as R(-20ºC) = 0.5Ω. With a TCR of 0.0035/ºC for titanium, R(20ºC) = 0.5Ω/(1 - 20ºC·0.0035/ºC) = 0.5Ω/(1 - 0.07) = 0.538Ω. This is the resistance that would have been measured if you went inside a 20ºC room before calibrating your coil.
Excellent

So they are really going for accuracy now

It just gets better and better :thumb:

Time to break out my calibrated air sensors

nic_fix

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2013
USA
guys I am bringing this up again for a reason. do yourself a favor and get a sxm. regardless of the paint. the thing is flawless. battery cap a little tricky but never fails. that's it. I just got yet another mod that is acting up and back to the trusty sxm again. thing just does not quit.

on topic: I would only use wire that is established for our hobby. I would not just go trying anything in the shed. I know this is common sense but not everyone is aware. I actually prefer ni. these updates are nice though. at least they did not abandon it like phone carriers do. also, this math is a nice explanation but it is not required to work these of course. a fundamental understanding does not hurt either.

everything is new again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread