Status
Not open for further replies.

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
I hope they've upgraded the wires. The last update I did to my second chip the factory installed wires couldn't handle the 60W's the mod was pushing.

From what I've seen, the current versions are shipping with 16 gauge wire.. The 60 watt upgrade is optional, and most sites selling the chipset state that the older ones will need to be upgraded to 16 gauge wire before going from 50 to 60 watts.

Nuclear Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2014
Memphis, TN
Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. They released an update that the wires weren't capible of handling. Not only that, they gave no warning about the problem either. As far as the warranty goes, these chips are sold with no warranty. If you got them to replace one that's great but it doesn't change the fact.

Macaiah

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
Okinawa, Japan
It's a DIY board. They did not build the mod that the board was in. What other board before the SX350 offered upgrades?

I don't know where you got your board or who built your mod, but with it being a DIY product, why would you expect them to ship with larger than necessary wire? Each revision of the SX350 has come with the proper wiring to support their current firmware.

When I buy a new CPU for my PC, I understand that it comes with a guaranteed clock. If I overclock it to get more power, I have to purchase the appropriate cooling for the overclock.

I really don't want to seem like "that guy", but I have had no problems (for the most part) with their products or their support for their products.

Nuclear Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2014
Memphis, TN
It's a DIY board. They did not build the mod that the board was in. What other board before the SX350 offered upgrades?

I don't know where you got your board or who built your mod, but with it being a DIY product, why would you expect them to ship with larger than necessary wire? Each revision of the SX350 has come with the proper wiring to support their current firmware.

When I buy a new CPU for my PC, I understand that it comes with a guaranteed clock. If I overclock it to get more power, I have to purchase the appropriate cooling for the overclock.

I really don't want to seem like "that guy", but I have had no problems (for the most part) with their products or their support for their products.

Yihi offered the upgrade for that product and the product wasn't up to the task. It wasn't something a hacker figured out and I tried. The upgrade came directly from the manufacturer for that chip. The wires that came with the chip weren't larger than necessary, They weren't up to the task, plus they are buried under a layer of epoxy making them very hard to get at without destroying the board.

I really don't want you to be "that guy" either but this is a forum where we discuss the good and bad of products and that's all I've done here. You've had great luck with them, that's great. I haven't and I'm only sharing my experience. I've bought 2 SX350 chips. One died with no warranty and now the other isn't capable of handling the last two firmware upgrades.

Last edited:

dravell

Jul 29, 2014
United States
As a builder, ive wondered why these chips (the cloupor T5 too) need 16+ awg wire for 60ish watts yet 18awg is good for well over 120 watts on a 20a Raptor, and 16awg good for over 200 on a 40a Raptor. Wire heats when its used to the brink of its ability, which is why quality insulated wire like silicone insulated copper multistrand is mostly used over PVC insulated, with that being as it is, were these chips melting insulation when used at their upgraded wattages? Its not like you turn it to 60 watts and the wire just stops outputting anymore power because its too small...if it was too much power the wires are going to get hot and if its far too much itll melt it.
Ive seen a LOT of talk here about wiring on the T5 and these chips being the reason they dont achieve their relatively low upgraded wattage and it just never made sense to me, We've run 50 amps at 250 watts thru 16awg without it even getting warm, yet 16awg is needed for 60w on some of these other boards? Just sounds like an excuse as to why something isnt performing as it should be.

With that said....I love Yihi chips overall and have good experience with the multiple ones ive had over time, and the SX Mini is on the top of my to buy list once its released. Beautiful mod IMO which will probably become my "out and about" ADV.

Macaiah

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
Okinawa, Japan
As a builder, ive wondered why these chips (the cloupor T5 too) need 16+ awg wire for 60ish watts yet 18awg is good for well over 120 watts on a 20a Raptor, and 16awg good for over 200 on a 40a Raptor. Wire heats when its used to the brink of its ability, which is why quality insulated wire like silicone insulated copper multistrand is mostly used over PVC insulated, with that being as it is, were these chips melting insulation when used at their upgraded wattages? Its not like you turn it to 60 watts and the wire just stops outputting anymore power because its too small...if it was too much power the wires are going to get hot and if its far too much itll melt it.
Ive seen a LOT of talk here about wiring on the T5 and these chips being the reason they dont achieve their relatively low upgraded wattage and it just never made sense to me, We've run 50 amps at 250 watts thru 16awg without it even getting warm, yet 16awg is needed for 60w on some of these other boards? Just sounds like an excuse as to why something isnt performing as it should be.

With that said....I love Yihi chips overall and have good experience with the multiple ones ive had over time, and the SX Mini is on the top of my to buy list once its released. Beautiful mod IMO which will probably become my "out and about" ADV.
Dravell...the board doesn't have a problem with melting wires or overheating. It would simply cause more battery sag. The older versions of the SX350 came with AWG20. I had no problems with it other than there being more sag at higher wattages. I use Li-Po's in my personal builds so it never bothered me, although I did upgrade to AWG16 on my personal builds.

I also upgraded the wiring in the mods that I sold at no charge.

The 100 watt version includes a beefier inductor along with upgraded wires. The downside to the 100 watt version, IMHO, is that the battery indicator updates too often. I can't get an accurate reading of what my battery sag is.

bonmatos

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2014
riviera, France
sxmini.jpg
2 colors :)

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
I tried to pick one up on Saturday, but the vendor told me that only one unit was sent to all distributors this time, regardless of the quantity ordered.. :( They are expecting another shipment this week... Hopefully, it's accurate info.. I don't like playing the preorder game, and would prefer to catch one in-stock. ;)

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
The features listed on that page are confusing Max watts 120w? Dual battery regulated 120w regulated? I know the chip specs indicate the SXmini will output 120 watts with dual batteries but it doesn't seem the mod itself would be nearly large enough for two batteries.

Then they tell you to look on their website to see what the joules display means.
SX350 mini chip specs
* Joules Display,tell you exactly how much vapor produciton in 1 minutes or 1 hour etc.

Is this an estimate of remaining battery life or something else? If it is something to do with hours and minutes why is the display in joules?

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
It was also my understanding that the SXmini was a single battery mod. However, what is confusing me is that the link bonmatos posted definitely pictures the SXmini mod rather than the SX350 mini chip. Also, that page reads:
- Maximum Watts: 120W and future upgrades will be available.
-Single & Dual battery capability.
Dual battery 120W regulated.
- Smallest available device pushing 120 watts.

I don't understand how they are going to get two batteries into what appears to be such a small form factor even though the chip's specs clearly indicate 120 watts under the the 2 battery features. I know a couple of people that had hands on the one the U.S. distributor was schlepping to shows. They said the size would not accommodate two 19650s. Perhaps they were mistaken?

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
It was also my understanding that the SXmini was a single battery mod. However, what is confusing me is that the link bonmatos posted definitely pictures the SXmini mod rather than the SX350 mini chip. Also, that page reads:
- Maximum Watts: 120W and future upgrades will be available.
-Single & Dual battery capability.
Dual battery 120W regulated.
- Smallest available device pushing 120 watts.

I don't understand how they are going to get two batteries into what appears to be such a small form factor even though the chip's specs clearly indicate 120 watts under the the 2 battery features. I know a couple of people that had hands on the one the U.S. distributor was schlepping to shows. They said the size would not accommodate two 19650s. Perhaps they were mistaken?

I'm certain it's a single 18650 mod... I just managed to find a site which should at this moment, have 5 left.. I just happily relieved them of one.. ;) The other vendor was mistaken about only one being sent out to all distributors this round, or is just trying to take more preorders.. Mine should be shipping today.. I phoned to verify that they actually had them :)

Yihi SX-Mini – Euphoria Vapor LLC

EDIT: It's around $6.00-$7.00 more than the other preorder sites.. (Taking the shipping costs from those other sites into consideration.. But, I'll be enjoying it this week. ;) )

Last edited:

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
I was at my buddies store when a box of eight of these arrived. He took one, I took one, and six left. Initially i thought the MOD did 120w, but infact it only does 60. The CHIP can do 120w but not the mod.

Cool.... :2cool: How do you like it? It looks to be well-made...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread