Tanks & RDA's Ratings & Explanations

Status
Not open for further replies.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
The goal here is for everyone to be able to benefit from other people's ratings and explanations on specifically tanks and rda's. This can help any person whether they are new to vaping or if they are not new for their next purchase for any type of tank or rda. We can discuss any tank or rda that came into production from the beginning of vaping to the present time, based on the ones people want to mention.

It's true that there are websites and YouTube videos that do reviews on almost every tank or rda that is or was in production. What we are doing is very different because us here will give our own personal rating and an explanation based on our own experience we have had with the tank or rda we choose to be discussed at any given time. So we aren't giving a review rather an explanation of our rating based on or personal experiences with the item.

How it works: One person will mention a specific tank or rda. Then they should post one picture of the item, give a rating from one to five stars (4.5 for example) and then an explanation for that particular rating they gave. Once an item is already introduced by someone, there's no need for someone else to post another picture of the same item. The idea of posting a picture of the item is so that others who have not seen it before can know what item we are talking about at any given time. When one person does introduce an item, others can mention the same tank or rda and give their own rating and explanation too, while others can comment on someone's rating and explanation.

Concerning the rating and explanation I feel that it's necessary to mention that we all know that with certain companies many people may have a very negative opinion. Let's try not to bash those certain companies and stick to our true and honest explanation of our ratings.

I figured I will do a rating and explanation myself to kick it off.

Goon 1.5
goon-1-5-stainless-1_1024x1024_0b38df3e-d8f6-4002-b1c0-4ae57c0f04ff_large.jpg
Rating 5.0
I absolutely love this rda so there's nothing I can say bad about it. Being that it uses the clamp style deck, there is a whole lot of room on the sides of the deck to fit large coils. There is lots of airflow too and with the Goon 1.5 I can use it as a squonk rda. From the builds that I use in this rda there is a lot of surface area and overall I get great flavor. To be honest it took me a bit longer than any other rda for me to learn to build on but I kept trying and now that's not an issue. The only issue I know is that even though it's supposed to accommodate the single coil option, it's not properly designed for that fully but I wouldn't use a single coil anyway. Of course I recommend this rda to anyone who likes both a cloudy + flavorful rda.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
What a great idea.
th

th

The Siren V2, is a single coil, MTL atomizer using a velocity style build deck with adjustable airflow (very adjustable). I rate this atomizer 5.0 (with the provision that I think the flavor is better with the 22 mm version (2 ml tank) although I also enjoy the 24 mm 4.5 ml tank. Building is extremely easy with this tank which uses the "catch" method of trapping a coil, as the leg of the coil is laid between the post with another screw which is screwed in horizontally to "trap" the coil. It has an easy going topfill system which I have not found any leakage, even with the airflow wide open (I use a rayon wick).

I enjoy the flavor of this tank, with the caveat not everyone does, and some folks complain of flavors "muting" or too much airflow for a MTL tank. Although it's a "thirsty" tank ,I do find the flavor shines with AFC wide open, and with strong, often fruit flavored juices.

I think the beauty of the Siren V2, is once you find your "flavor place" it's a pretty versatile tank, one really can almost do a restricted lung hit, or a more closed down MTL, but I would say it's on the airier side for MTL tanks.

I am also fond of it as it was the first RTA where I really had an easygoing time, both with building and wicking. I find wicking works best tighter in the coil, with a fair amount of thinning and the wicks cut just a few mmm (3ish) below the deck, although one can of course even have the wick touching the bottom of the tank, but it isn't really necessary.

Overall, this tank is one of my very favorites.

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm assuming you're accepting clearomizer tanks in addition to RTA's and RBA's.

You'll see me frequently recommending the original Uwell Crown clearomizer tank on ECF. It's a remarkably simple and versatile clearomizer for just about any style vaper. Although technically it is a sub-ohm tank, the Crown 1 offers 1.2 ohm coils for those who do not sub-ohm. Coils available are:
  • 0.15 ohm Dual Ni200 Nickel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 400 to 600 Degrees Fahrenheit
  • 0.25 ohm Dual Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 80 to 120W
  • 0.5 ohm Dual Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 30 to 80W
  • 1.2 ohm Single Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Coil - 10 to 30W
Uwell-Crown-Edit-7.png

Coils have consistantly lasted me about 4 weeks using a 100% vg e-liquid. I prefer vaping at 30 - 40 watts so I prefer the 0.5 ohm coils.

The Crown 1 is an easy top fill tank with a 4 ml liquid capacity. A shorter Mini Crown version has a 2 ml capacity. The ratcheted air control ring will adapt from a restricted MTL style to a wide open DTL draw. It comes with a wide bore stainless steel drip tip. If you are a MTL vaper I'd recommend replacing the stock tip with a narrow bore tip. I'm not a fan of metal drip tips so I replaced mine with a Cherry Vapes Cloud Chaser delrin tip. The Crown has a 22mm diameter. Available in stainless steel and black.

Uwell-Crown-Edit-1-696x464.png

Uwell-Crown-Edit-4.png

Uwell-Crown-Edit-5.png

Uwell-Crown-Edit-6.png

The Crown 1 does have a rebuildable base available that can be purchased separately, but the deck is quite small and the base is expensive ($10).

The original Crown can be found on most online websites for under $25 and comes with 3 coils and replacement glass. Replacement coils are also easily available online and cost $10 for a pack of four. Both can be found cheaper at Fast Tech.

I won't comment much on the other Crown tanks available. The Crown 2 seemed to be a disappointment. I've seen mixed reviews for the Crown 3 and Valarian.

In conclusion, I rate this tank a 4.5 out of 5. It is the first clearo tank that can match the flavor and vapor production of my Velocity RDA, without the hassle of having to rewick the dripper every 3 - 4 days. Aside from refilling once a day, maintanance is merely replacing the drop-in coil once a month. I would have given it a 5 rating if the accessory RBA base was less expensive and have a larger deck (which I'm not sure I would even use).

Last edited:

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
The Velocity Mini
I absolutely love this RDA. I use mine every day and I have yet to find another RDA that can match it.

The chamber - perfect size for great vapor production and flavour. The standard Velocity is just a bit too big.

The deck - super easy to build on, there's a reason so many others have adopted it. With the Velocity two post design the coils are all ready centered, there is no need to wrangle them into position. There is a notch system on the base of the barrel and the deck, when it clicks into place you know the airholes are aligned with the coils. No spinning barrel, no misaligned airflow.

Airflow - Hands down the smoothest and most accurately adjustable of any RDA I have used. The key is that adjustments are done to the height of the airslot not the width, so that the full width of the coil gets air irrespective of the setting.
I don't use the additional top air holes, but if you are into Kamikaze hot builds then they would be very useful.

Driptip - I'm only really happy with chuffcaps these days, I prefer the mouthfeel and I want to be able to drip directly without having to take off the topcap.

uSqYCy0.jpg

RpM1pCM.jpg

CNqiEQg.jpg

crayfishx

Oct 18, 2013
Malaga, Spain
View attachment 732135
Geekvape-ZEUS-RTA-1388x558.jpg

4.5 because its can fit easily fit any single fancy coil, 810 drip tip, quick top fill and its easy to wick
search
. I docked points for it holding only 4 ml a little small IMO for being a 25mm tank . Love this tank!

5.0 from me - This is my every day away-from-home tank - it's an RTA that I can put in my bag and pocket, on it's side and it never leaks a drop - last week I took it on a plane with a quarter tank of liquid inside it and it didn't leak either - it's a superb RTA in my opinion for carrying around with you. I've got a 0.8Ω demon wire coil in it vaping it at about 27W which delivers a lovely full vape and is easy on the battery in my single batt mod. Highly recommend this.

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
Aromamizer Titan.
5 stars.

This is a 41mm rebuildable tank atomizer, so it's not going to be for everyone. I didn't want to punish it by deducting stars for that fact because it is what it is. If that's not your thing, I understand. If that is your thing? This tank hits all the targets.

1. The "Lego" build deck allows you to build on a postless, velocity, or series block connector deck right out of the box.
  2. Two different tank sizes offer you 28ml or 18ml capacity.
  3. It uses 810 drip tips, so you can customize.
  4. 4 different airflow configurations (all direct lung) offer you a way to restrict airflow while still getting direct coil contact from the incoming air.
20180326_223059.jpg
20180317_194120.jpg
20180317_194205.jpg
IMG_20180209_091714_796.jpg

The massive juice flow slots in the bottom of the deck allow for the best wicking I've had from an RTA yet. I can vape this dual coil build you see pictured at 200 watts with no issues. And despite the size, the flavor from this tank is very good.

The chances of you having a mod this will fit on and look good are slim, but if you do it's a must have. If you don't, it might be worth it to buy one to park it on. Pictured mods are the Aegis by Geek Vape (top) and the Hammer of God by Vaperz Cloud (bottom).

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
Goon styled RDA. 6 bucks at FT.
This is my first RDA and it works great. Excellent for the beginning RDA user. Easy to build. I like the glass cover. I can see what I'm doing as I learn.
Learned early on that the coil needs to be up high enough for the AF to flow across it. Also, don't over-drip on it. Can get a little messy.
Running it at 20w with the .9 coil that came with it.
goon.png

(I'm lousy at reviewing stuff)

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I have to go with Anna on this Siren. Easy build, easy to trim the wick just right, easy to fill but no leaks, no runs, no errors.

What a great idea.
th

th

The Siren V2, is a single coil, MTL atomizer using a velocity style build deck with adjustable airflow (very adjustable). I rate this atomizer 5.0 (with the provision that I think the flavor is better with the 22 mm version (2 ml tank) although I also enjoy the 24 mm 4.5 ml tank. Building is extremely easy with this tank which uses the "catch" method of trapping a coil, as the leg of the coil is laid between the post with another screw which is screwed in horizontally to "trap" the coil. It has an easy going topfill system which I have not found any leakage, even with the airflow wide open (I use a rayon wick).

I enjoy the flavor of this tank, with the caveat not everyone does, and some folks complain of flavors "muting" or too much airflow for a MTL tank. Although it's a "thirsty" tank ,I do find the flavor shines with AFC wide open, and with strong, often fruit flavored juices.

I think the beauty of the Siren V2, is once you find your "flavor place" it's a pretty versatile tank, one really can almost do a restricted lung hit, or a more closed down MTL, but I would say it's on the airier side for MTL tanks.

I am also fond of it as it was the first RTA where I really had an easygoing time, both with building and wicking. I find wicking works best tighter in the coil, with a fair amount of thinning and the wicks cut just a few mmm (3ish) below the deck, although one can of course even have the wick touching the bottom of the tank, but it isn't really necessary.

Overall, this tank is one of my very favorites.

Anna

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
My first ever vape review. If you guys think it's decent enough, I may do another (or video) once I get my replacement glass for my Kylin Mini.

WOTOFO SERPENT SMM

The Wotofo Serpent SMM is a single coil RTA that was released in the summer of 2017. It has drawn mixed reviews. At release it was praised as the second coming, a tank designed around maximizing flavour with a novel approach to airflow; as time has gone its reputation has gone somewhat stale.

maxresdefault.jpg

Build Quality

The Serpent SMM was designed in part by American Youtube Reviewer Matt (channel: Suck My Mod). It is, however, manufactured in China and the inconsistencies in the build quality reflect its origin.

The first batches that shipped out were tainted by glass issues. This was quickly addressed and I found myself with an iteration with improved glass durability and fitting.

For a single coil tank, promising a flavourful vape with a mild power and juice appetite, the Serpent SMM falls within the ‘daily driver’ range of options. While the paint and finish have stood more or less perfectly against dozens of falls and being thrown into bags and boxes for months, the threading on the top cap leaves much to be desired.

Unscrewing the top portion of the tank and revealing the juice fill ports, I find the most disappointing part of the tank: the threading. As you screw and unscrew the top to fill the modest 4ml tank, the fine and delicate threading is susceptible to being dented, bent, and misaligned. After months of use it takes quite some time to get the top to properly align and screw itself down; and sometimes some effort to un-jam it and twist it back out.

You will also, albeit occasionally, find a significant amount of liquid under the tank and around the 510 connector of your mod. The deck and o-rings used to seal off the 510 pin are not always properly seated. I have found myself needing to ‘tune up’ that portion of the tank to prevent juice and condensation from pouring at the base the tank.

A little maintenance is expected in a daily driver. But for the Serpent SMM, the maintenance needs grow ever larger as you find yourself using it more and more.

Outside

Some interesting design decisions were made during the conception of this tank. While the posts are extremely user friendly, little thought was put into the overall design on the outside of the tank.

There’s no knurling on any part of this tank. None on the cap and none at the base. With the issues regarding threading that I mentioned earlier, I would have appreciated some knurling to assist in removing the top or unscrewing the chamber and glass from the build deck.

But with its short profile, compact size, and minimalistic aesthetic; the Serpent SMM does fit its niche well as an easy to use, reliable, single coil RTA.

Inside

The airflow is said to be what makes an RDA superior in flavour to an RTA. The distance travelled from the airflow intakes on the side of a top cap, to the coil, and then into the mouth are an important factor in determining the flavour performance of an atomizer.

In the case of the Serpent SMM, airflow is pulled under from the bottom of the deck, through an air flow control ring, and then delivered through the deck posts directly onto the coil.

This approach, in theory, is what allows the Serpent SMM to deliver RDA-like flavour. It is also, I believe, the reason why so many find the flavour underwhelming. To take advantage of this novel airflow approach you need to build a coil just the right size and position it in just the right way for it to catch the airflow.

If your coil is too small or its positioning too high the air will flow right past it and deliver a muted flavour. But if you get the sizing and positioning just right, you’re in for a single coil RDA-like experience.

A positive point is that the deck is one of the easiest I’ve ever built on. Having four screws allows for coils wrapped in both clockwise and anti-clockwise fashion. There’s plenty of room for a single fancy coil. In fact, that’s exactly what I would recommend. A massive fancy coil that can handle high voltages. I find mine is at its best when I’m pushing or exceeding 5 volts. You need a coil robust enough to handle those kinds of wattages. You also need one to fill the chamber and force the air to pass directly over its saturated wicks.

Closing Comments

The Serpent SMM is a bit like a sailboat. It takes some time and practice to learn to catch the air with your sail. Once you do the flavour is excellent.

It’s unfortunate that the quality of the threading, deck, and o-rings won’t guarantee it a lasting roster spot in my line up of RTAs. But with the newer single coil RTAs that came out in the last couple months being so good, I have no problems saying ‘bon voyage’.

I have no qualms recommending this RTA to someone looking to get their first rebuildable. It’s extremely easy to work on and will allow the user to build up his or her skills. Though once the ceiling of this tank is reached, through the mastery of coil building and placement, it will be time to set sail.

Summary

+ Cheap ($22.85 @ Fasttech)
+ Easy to build on
+ Potential for excellent flavour
+ Durable finish
- No knurling
- Fragile threading
- Finnicky coil placement
~ Neutral aesthetic

Final Rating: ★★★☆☆ (3/5)

Status
Not open for further replies.