TC and Dry Hits

Status
Not open for further replies.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
TC Precision within Steam Engine is an attempt to describe how easily a device can sense the temperature of a coil (according to the developer)

It is a factor of TCR value of the metal x Resistance of the modeled coil x 1000000. The 1000000 has no value other than a filler to give a readable result.

The developer feels that lower resistance coils are more difficult to control via TC due to device limitations. Hence why T1 coils have a higher TC Precision score than Ni200 despite having a lower TCR value. I do not fully agree with this concept as the OP has demonstrated no problems with a Ni200 coil but problems with a SS316 coil. If using the same geometries, SS316 will always have a higher TC Precision score than Ni200 given it is naturally much higher in resistance. If your device has troubles reading low resistance coils that is a deficiency of the device, not the coil.

Truth is, the greater the increase in live resistance, the more your device has to work with. Live resistance also must fall within your set parameters under a typical vape environment (while you are taking a draw with saturated wick). If you have a 0.5 ohm SS316 coil at 25°C room temp, using a TCR value 0.00088 and a goal temp of 220°C – you need to ensure your resistance increases by +0.09 ohms or greater under a typical vape (draw with saturated wick) in order to meet that goal of 220°C. If your coil is influenced too greatly by air flow/saturation or you are not applying enough power, you may not be increasing that resistance by its needed amount and TC will not be function as it should resulting in dry burns.

This is where I personally feel programs such as Escribe and NFE Tools offer great benefits. You can view the live resistance and if that 0.5 ohm SS316 coil is only increasing by 0.08 ohms under a typical vape environment, then you can attempt at making adjustments to achieve that 220°C goal or adjust your final temperature accordingly.
Thank you, interesting post, that's also how I thought TC works.

In the meantime, I have had the time to monitor my vaping in NFE Tools when the tank was going empty, but now it was behaving as it should, eg no dry hits. And I'm not posting the files because they show nothing interesting at all, just the temperature going up to 200C and staying there for the duration of the puff, and the power and the resistance varying accordingly. So for now I'm unable to add new 'evidence'...

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
I use spaced coils of either SS430 or NiFe52.
Before getting the coil size (gauge, ID, wraps) decided upon, I had a terrible time with dry hits and/or falling out of TC.
I’m kinda slow, but my wife noticed any coil that was under 0.15 ohms would not allow consistent TC.
That was on a collection of DNAs and I think a Smoant Cylon.
Since standardizing on 0.18 ohms, I haven’t experienced those issues.

• Winner
Reactions: HigherStateD

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Before getting the coil size (gauge, ID, wraps) decided upon, I had a terrible time with dry hits and/or falling out of TC.
I’m kinda slow, but my wife noticed any coil that was under 0.15 ohms would not allow consistent TC.
That truly is odd, as I have a 0.12 ohm contact dual coil geekvape juggernaut 316L running TC on Arctic fox quite nicely

Reactions: ShowerHead

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland

That truly is odd, as I have a 0.12 ohm contact dual coil geekvape juggernaut 316L running TC on Arctic fox quite nicely

I agree (that it's odd), I never had problems with my Ni200 coils (between 0.06-0.13) on my 3 mods with 3 different chipsets (Pico75 running Arctic Fox, DNA75, Teslacig). The occasional dry hits always happened with the ss316 coil with about 0.6 Ohms, and never, not even once I "fell out" of TC.

• Agree
Reactions: HigherStateD

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
I agree (that it's odd), I never had problems with my Ni200 coils (between 0.06-0.13) on my 3 mods with 3 different chipsets (Pico75 running Arctic Fox, DNA75, Teslacig). The occasional dry hits always happened with the ss316 coil with about 0.6 Ohms, and never, not even once I "fell out" of TC.

See? I have unique issues. You’ll of course note the materials are all different.
Good luck with yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread