TC not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Today I bought my first BF mod (a Vt inbox with a dna 75 chip) and so far I really like it. I’ve installed eScribe and configured TC with the coil that was already in my atomizer for the last two weeks, a NI200 coil. With this coil, TC worked fine. But then I opened a new spool of SS316 fused Clapton wire and built a new coil, and with this coil, TC doesn’t work anymore. The resistance is almost the same as before (around 0.25), and I can set it up just fine, but it will read the temperatures much too low, and sometimes even show ‘Error’ or a question mark instead of the temperatures (in eScribe’s device monitor). If it does show the temperature, it is ridiculously low (like 60-80 Celsius, when I’m drawing hot vapor). Any ideas why? A made a coil with the same wire for my other mod (Pico 75W), and TC works.

Reactions: stols001

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
And if the Coil is a Contact Coil, try spacing out the Loops.
It’s a fused Clapton with 24Ga core wires, so it’s rather on the stiff side, I can’t space them out easily. Also, I made as many wraps as possible to still get a decent resistance, it just fits the way it is. But the other coil (the NI200) was also a contact coil, it still worked fine.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Never tried Clapton coils but I've read they don't work too well in TC. Was your NI200 coil a Clapton?
No, that was a simple single wire coil. I think that must be it, since otherwise, in power mode, everything's fine. Funny, since I wasn't looking for Clapton wire anyway, I just wanted SS316, but my vape shop only had a spool of Clapton wire...lol

• Optimistic

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Connect with Escribe, click on the Restore to Default button. Disconnect the device. Remove the battery. Configure it again. Make sure you got the latest service pack installed. See if that helps??

HCigar VT Inbox (VTinbox) - evolv VT75
Thanks, I tried that, unfortunately to no avail, still the same problem. It must be the Clapton wire then...

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
No, that was a simple single wire coil. I think that must be it, since otherwise, in power mode, everything's fine. Funny, since I wasn't looking for Clapton wire anyway, I just wanted SS316, but my vape shop only had a spool of Clapton wire...lol

I've only used single wire SS coils in TC. I read a lot about it here before I started. Opinion seems to be that TC needs spaced coils and gets confused with compressed coils, and Claptons don't work well either. Someone explained why TC has those characteristics but I don't remember the details.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
It’s a fused Clapton with 24Ga core wires, so it’s rather on the stiff side, I can’t space them out easily. Also, I made as many wraps as possible to still get a decent resistance, it just fits the way it is. But the other coil (the NI200) was also a contact coil, it still worked fine.

Did you burn the coil in really well?
You may also need a different TCR than standard. I have to use 088 for screen mesh or it's way too hot.

I don't know about DNA (I would think that is what dictates it) but some mods don't like anything but standard single wire spaced coils for TC. I'm not sure what the setting is that makes them so picky but it's probably something that can be adjusted.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Did you burn the coil in really well?
You may also need a different TCR than standard. I have to use 088 for screen mesh or it's way too hot.

I don't know about DNA (I would think that is what dictates it) but some mods don't like anything but standard single wire spaced coils for TC. I'm not sure what the setting is that makes them so picky but it's probably something that can be adjusted.
Just to be sure, I've installed another NI200 coil yesterday and have been vaping on it in TC mode without any problems, so it was definitely the coil.

I think you're correct in that there's probably a setting that could be adjusted in eScribe (I don't know what all these wire profiles are for, I just selected 'SS316'). What's remarkable is that my iStick Pico 75 (with Arctic Fox) doesn't seem to have a problem with the fused Clapton coil, spaced or not: It's in TC mode since yesterday, and the vapour temperature seems right every time I use it.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Remember that thread that had a Title something like... "TC: Any Reason Against It?"

Are you aware that I was the OP of this thread? :)

And yes, it had been mentioned that it can be tricky to set up, but for me, once it works, it’s worth the while: I really hate burning my lips with hot vapor, and TC vaping allows me to draw as long as I want. It makes a huge difference for me.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
What's remarkable is that my iStick Pico 75 (with Arctic Fox) doesn't seem to have a problem with the fused Clapton coil, spaced or not: It's in TC mode since yesterday, and the vapour temperature seems right every time I use it.
After a few more hours of TC vaping with my Pico (and the Clapton coil inside), I noticed that the TC is a bit sketchy too. Even though it seems to work (and doesn’t switch into power mode), at temperatures above 100 Celsius the values don’t seem right. They are closer than on the other mod, but that could be because the coil is much shorter and has a lower resistance, so maybe the error is smaller as well.
Conclusion: No more Clapton coils for TC.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
But I do like it, I just haven’t found the right wire yet. Unfortunately the RTA’s deck is really small, which adds another difficulty, because I want to have both my atomizers in TC mode.

It just seemed kinda Funny/Ironic when I saw this Thread. Because there were some in that Other Thread who were Going On and On and On (and On) about how TC has No Downsides.

:lol:

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
I just now learned about TCR, it was completely new to me. Yes, I guess you’re right, I probably could have used or fine tuned a TCR for this particular coil. Now it’s too late, I’ve installed another coil, but it’s good to know what TCR means... ;)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
But I do like it, I just haven’t found the right wire yet. Unfortunately the RTA’s deck is really small, which adds another difficulty, because I want to have both my atomizers in TC mode.

BTW - Have you got some Plain Old 26ga and 24ga Stainless Steel Wire ordered?

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
It just seemed kinda Funny/Ironic when I saw this Thread. Because there were some in that Other Thread who were Going On and On and On (and On) about how TC has No Downsides.

:lol:
Possibly, yes. I remember that one of the very first answers mentioned that it can be tricky to set up, so I didn’t expect no problems at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread