Status
Not open for further replies.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
The resistance varies somewhat the first few days, f. ex. I had to set a new base value for the coil resistance this morning, because at first the vapor was too hot at the temperature I had used it yesterday. Unfortunately, in my rta, I don’t really have a choice: the deck is so small that I can only fit 5-wrap coils, so if I wanted to install a spaced coil, it would be a 3-wrap coil. I have serious doubts that this is better than a contact coil.
Geez! How tiny is that deck? Years ago I was using a Kanger Subtank Mini rba and I could squeeze in 9 spaced wraps with 28g Ni200 no less.

IMG_0119.JPG

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Geez! How tiny is that deck? Years ago I was using a Kanger Subtank Mini RBA and I could squeeze in 9 spaced wraps with 28g Ni200 no less.

View attachment 763565
Wow, that is one beautiful spaced coil! Did you build it with a special tool? I make mine just by bending the wire around a rod, I could never build a coil with spaces as small and especially as regular as yours. With such a coil, I could certainly fit a 5-wrap spaced coil.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
@KurtVD: I have a tool now, but that was just a screwdriver wrap. Just wrap it like a contact coil and pull and stretch it a little at a time. The spacing will almost won't be perfect the first time and then squeeze it all back together and stretch it again. Just repeat and it doesn't take long for one more stretch to come along and it ends up just like this. :)

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Think of what it must be like for the 95% or so of the People who Aren't Members e-Cigarette Forums to use TC.

LOL
95%? You think? I would think that a major of TC users use internet to set it up. Maybe they don’t open an account on ecf, but they can still read our posts.

Concerning the spaced coils: I’ve changed the coils in both of my atomizers yesterday, and installed spaced coils (I have 24 and 28Ga wire now). So far, I can’t really tell the difference to the contact coils though..

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Think of what it must be like for the 95% or so of the People who Aren't Members e-Cigarette Forums to use TC.

LOL

95%? You think? I would think that a major of TC users use internet to set it up. Maybe they don’t open an account on ecf, but they can still read our posts.

Concerning the spaced coils: I’ve changed the coils in both of my atomizers yesterday, and installed spaced coils (I have 24 and 28Ga wire now). So far, I can’t really tell the difference to the contact coils though..

I don't think I was doing much in the way of forums when TC came out affordably. I was doing enough to know it was there but most of what I got setting it up was reading around and figuring it out for myself.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I don't think I was doing much in the way of forums when TC came out affordably. I was doing enough to know it was there but most of what I got setting it up was reading around and figuring it out for myself.

Sure. There are those who can Troubleshoot and get TC going on their own. Same with things like Wire Types, Getting Dry Hits or learning Battery CDR's and Ohms Law. And how to Apply them.

The Point I was Making though is the Vast Majority of e-Cigarette Users are not e-Cigarette Forum Members. And or have little Comprehensive Online Help such as what is seen in a Thread such as this.

And for them, when TC Doesn't work as they would Like It to, it is Many Times the End of their TC adventures.

I think in Some Ways ECF Members can loose track of just how Easy it is to get Answers and Suggestions by merely making a Posting a Question or Starting a New Thread. Because we see it done 24-7, 365 here.

Where as the Average Vaper just Doesn't have this Luxury.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Sure. There are those who can Troubleshoot and get TC going on their own. Same with things like Wire Types, Getting Dry Hits or learning Battery CDR's and Ohms Law. And how to Apply them.

The Point I was Making though is the Vast Majority of e-Cigarette Users are not e-Cigarette Forum Members. And or have little Comprehensive Online Help such as what is seen in a Thread such as this.

And for them, when TC Doesn't work as they would Like It to, it is Many Times the End of their TC adventures.

I think in Some Ways ECF Members can loose track of just how Easy it is to get Answers and Suggestions by merely making a Posting a Question or Starting a New Thread. Because we see it done 24-7, 365 here.

Where as the Average Vaper just Doesn't have this Luxury.

A big problem with forums is how big worthwhile threads get.
If I'm in read mode and the answer isn't soon after the question I move on.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
A big problem with forums is how big worthwhile threads get.
If I'm in read mode and the answer isn't soon after the question I move on.

There is also the Issue of How Friendly the Members are when a person asks a Simple Question. And How Willing they are to Answer the Question.

I have been on some Forums where there are So Many Members that want to Belittle people for asking a question. Or will reply that the Question has been Answered Many Times. So just look it up.

Needless to say I Don't Frequent those Forums much.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
I have a tool now, but that was just a screwdriver wrap. Just wrap it like a contact coil and pull and stretch it a little at a time. The spacing will almost won't be perfect the first time and then squeeze it all back together and stretch it again. Just repeat and it doesn't take long for one more stretch to come along and it ends up just like this. :)

Umm.. Yeah... A screwdriver might work, but the other stuff you (& others) mention just has NEVER worked out for me to get nicely spaced coils. No matter what they end up being god-awful misshapen coils from hell. :eek: Although thicker gauge could be a different story, I've only gotten into thicker gauges recently (24 & 22) - and still have a nuclear-holocaust stockpile of various other thinner gauges that I twist. One thing to be said for thicker gauges, is they practically last forever - until I get bored, that is.

It's so bad for me, that if a mod-atty combo doesn't want to work in TC with contact coils, then it will simply end up being a power-mode coil (even if ni-200 or Ti) - end-of-story.

However newer mods seem to be far better with TC (even the Espion Solo). I've gotten a slew of 9 new mods (3 DNA), and so far every single one has been flawless in TC, or almost flawless (temp a bit off compared to others, but still stable). Even with my most temperamental super-springy SS304 wire. Although maybe, just maybe, that could be because I stacked the deck this time -- and ONLY searched out mods known for superb temp control. ;) IOW - NO SMOK DEVICES anymore! :mad: ..... Also of note is that Arctic Fox on my older Joyetech-based devices revitalized them for better TC operation.

Though aside from thicker 22/24 gauge, all of my wires are twisteds. No complex wire yet, but I do currently have several spools of SS316L-only Clapton-esque wire on the slow boat from China.

Reactions: stols001

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Never tried Clapton coils but I've read they don't work too well in TC. Was your NI200 coil a Clapton?

I’ve read the same. But not until after I’ve tried a SS Clapton in TC which I didn’t think worked very well. Tried a regular SS coil in TC, which worked much better but preferred the Clapton in power. I have some SS Clapton with a ribbon core – going to strip the outer wrap and give the straight ribbon a whirl in TC

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
I have some SS Clapton with a ribbon core – going to strip the outer wrap and give the straight ribbon a whirl in TC

Or you could just get a ribbon roll for cheap, and save the more expensive Clapton wire. Always nice to have some ribbon on hand anyways for twisted/tidal coils. With Tidal coils being the most complex I'll make myself - since it's just twisting sets in 2 different directions.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
A screwdriver might work, but the other stuff you (& others) mention just has NEVER worked out for me to get nicely spaced coils
A screwdriver? Or did you mean a screw? I’m the OP, and from the methods proposed in this thread, I chose to simply make contact coils and stretch them a little, which works just fine. Maybe the wraps aren’t “perfectly spaced”, but they don’t touch each other, and that’s what matters, doesn’t it?

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Never tried Clapton coils but I've read they don't work too well in TC. Was your NI200 coil a Clapton?

I’ve read the same. But not until after I’ve tried a SS Clapton in TC which I didn’t think worked very well. Tried a regular SS coil in TC, which worked much better but preferred the Clapton in power. I have some SS Clapton with a ribbon core – going to strip the outer wrap and give the straight ribbon a whirl in TC
When you both say SS Clapton, do you mean core is SS and the wrap Kanthal? Or both wires being SS? The only Clapton I have been using is Ni200 26/32 Claptons. And for temperature control, it behaves exactly like a Ni200 26g round wire. And I would expect a SS316L 26/32 to act no different under TC than a 26g SS316L round wire. And the wrap of the Clapton normally doesn't effect the total resistance. Although some wire lower in resistance than your core for the wrap, I see that could be a problem. Like using a SS core and Ni200 wrap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread