TC-TCR Temperature Control TCR Value Solution for Different Coils/Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTL Connoisseur

Feb 1, 2020
Okay I think I nailed this one, PATIENCE pays-off and trust me you will need it.
1 point up or down a wrong TCR value made huge changes in temperature,
I was surprised and made glad I was patient and done this.

Keep in my mind, I am testing on kayfun Lite 2019, very tight space all around.

@mikepetro & @Punk In Drublic Awaiting your feedback on what could have
been done better! :thumbs:

Test Methodology:
  • My test goal is to find a point in my physical setup in which the temperature moves up and down any value "showing that the mod is trying to control the temps", it does not matter If accurate or not, the goal is to know your thermocouple probe has good contact and the temp by moving up/down any value then you know it is getting the correct sensory inputs.​
  • I build the coil just like I would if I was going to prep it for vaping, more mass and tight spacing.
  • Now I packed the wick really tight, I mean coil deforming tight because I am not anchored like @mikepetro setup is, My probe is vertical and only held by 2 coil wraps and now the DENSE cotton wick, My goal is at least to make sure the probe tip point is not moving and held some what securely, I will order @mikepetro probe which are better insulated and can lay down horizontally better than mine.
Things to keep in mind if you plan on doing this:
  1. Over saturated wick you will be shown real low temp's that are incorrect, blow-off excess liquid from the air-hole in the bottom of the atty, by first flipping the atty on a napkin or something.
  2. A wick getting dry, you will be shown higher temp's that are incorrect, make sure you suck :ohmy: through the drip-tip without firing to saturate your wick. :D
  3. Most importantly again keep the tip of the probe secured and after which don't do any sudden moves as not to disturb the probe measuring tip.

Before I get chestsized by @Punk In Drublic, Here he is :D

What's good ECF!
mEZ3lLt.jpg

T1 28ga Spool Tested
VNzMEKU.jpg

Coil
tAObqjO.jpg

Correct TCR

Wrong TCR

Last edited:

MTL Connoisseur

Feb 1, 2020
You included a cat picture, and you had a successful test. Proved my point!! :lol:

I’d say TCR 0.00367 falls well within an acceptable margin for Ti1 :thumb:

I am beginning to believe in the power of our four legged friends :thumbs:
actually they are dominating us, but that's a different discussion :pop:

You nailed it. Once you get the hang of it, usually from failed tests, the next ones are much easier. You learned the gotchas, now you can have confidence in your technique.

Kudos....

You know Mike I think we can make a nice little trinket, say maybe a special over-sized attey with screen read out for testing wires and pre-built coils? ;)
We are both engineers in different disciplines, we can make it work! :thumbs:

I am aware of the development for newer mods that will include actual temperature reading not just current sensing tech.
Who wouldn't like to make sure the wire they build or prebuilt coil they bought has accurate TCR and not just rely on the mod's temps themselves?!
I am using 2nd best in accuracy YiHi and both SS316L value and T1 value profiles are giving wrong temp, T1 was set to 400F and fired to 450F+ with the pre configured profile from YiHi.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: mikepetro

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
I am beginning to believe in the power of our four legged friends :thumbs:
actually they are dominating us, but that's a different discussion :pop:

You know Mike I think we can make a nice little trinket, say maybe a special over-sized attey with screen read out for testing wires and pre-built coils? ;)
We are both engineers in different disciplines, we can make it work! :thumbs:
Its a great idea, and wouldnt be very difficult to make.

But I see it as money losing project for a couple of reasons.
  • Above all, not that many vapers actually "care". The percentage of vapers using TC is small, and the percentage that understand TC and TCRs etc is even smaller. Wouldnt be much of a market to sell them too.
  • In three months the Deeming Regulations go into full swing. We dont know how strict they will actually enforce the regs, but most of the Mods/Attys we are using will become illegal to sell.
  • According to these regs, our device would be considered a "tobacco product" and would be subject to requiring a PMTA (very expensive). You could try marketing as something that is not vape related, but I dont know if that would fly or not. Wouldnt want to risk cold hard cash on it though.
Its too volatile of a market to sink money into as an investment.

MTL Connoisseur

Feb 1, 2020
Its a great idea, and wouldnt be very difficult to make.

But I see it as money losing project for a couple of reasons.
  • Above all, not that many vapers actually "care". The percentage of vapers using TC is small, and the percentage that understand TC and TCRs etc is even smaller. Wouldnt be much of a market to sell them too.
  • In three months the Deeming Regulations go into full swing. We dont know how strict they will actually enforce the regs, but most of the Mods/Attys we are using will become illegal to sell.
  • According to these regs, our device would be considered a "tobacco product" and would be subject to requiring a PMTA (very expensive). You could try marketing as something that is not vape related, but I dont know if that would fly or not. Wouldnt want to risk cold hard cash on it though.
Its too volatile of a market to sink money into as an investment.

I was talking to my local vape shop "main" guy a day ago.
They are not happy with what's coming and his main point of frustration
is those gas stations selling the stuff to minors and effecting them
and their reputation. He said we expect allot of the vape e-liquids with
really candy/foodey names to be off-the-shelves and they begun moving
them already to the far end of the store. He suggested main flavors to remain are the tobacco, menthol, and coffee's. But even then he suggested to stick to brand names as they are the most likely once to survive now.
Which I totally agree with and saw it coming.

Picked up some Don Cristo XO and Don Cristo Original Montecristo Cigar.

FYI, He really hates these below, he suggested they are to blame for all this fiasco.
ez-cig-disposable-e-cigarette-2-1-nicotine-single-stick-black-cherry-flavor-3.gif

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: mikepetro

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
In my own travels with TC vaping, I have narrowed mods down to 4 types.

#4- All Other Chips
#3- YiHi mods with their chip (note not 3rd party YiHi chipped mods)
#2- DNA Mods (Some like the Replay mode, I myself used it for 6 months and returned to TC)

Now, for the #1 chip/mod...

#1- Dicodes
Best, most accurate TC in the business. When dealing with the higher end YiHi and DNA mods these are not at all expensive. Built with care, great workmanship. More menu options that are actually useful than any other mod. I got one just to see if the build quality was good. After a few months, I got another.

Great job on staying with the TC journey until you reached a solid and satisfying end. Do yourself a favor and check out the Dicodes Dani Box 21700 at Creme de Vape

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
#1- Dicodes
Best, most accurate TC in the business.

I like to see that data. Like how tight does the temperature vary? And most accurate TC means to me that 450°F is really 450°F. And on a DNA if you want dead on accuracy, you need to do the calibration. But for most TC vapers, such high precision isn't really necessary.

What I see the purpose of Replay is, to take all of the extra work out of TC. No need to know wire type (except it has to be TC compatible), TFR/TCR values, temperature settings, etc. Just adjust the wattage until the vape is right and hit Replay. No mess, no fuss.

You could also use Replay with TC mode too. Although there, setting up TC still applies.

Also most TC vapers setup their vape to jump to some set temperature and just flat line it. Although not all juices vape their best at one set temperature. Different flavor notes peek at different temperatures. So for a true TC vape connoisseur, they want their vape to sweep through these temperatures (juice dependent). Pretty easy to do this with TC (much harder to do in power mode) or super easy to do under Replay.

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
In my own travels with TC vaping, I have narrowed mods down to 4 types.

#4- All Other Chips
#3- YiHi mods with their chip (note not 3rd party YiHi chipped mods)
#2- DNA Mods (Some like the Replay mode, I myself used it for 6 months and returned to TC)

Now, for the #1 chip/mod...

#1- Dicodes
Best, most accurate TC in the business. When dealing with the higher end YiHi and DNA mods these are not at all expensive. Built with care, great workmanship. More menu options that are actually useful than any other mod. I got one just to see if the build quality was good. After a few months, I got another.

Great job on staying with the TC journey until you reached a solid and satisfying end. Do yourself a favor and check out the Dicodes Dani Box 21700 at Creme de Vape
Here's my order

#1 DNA
#2 All other TC mods
#3 Dicodes (aspirational mod, too expensive for most folk)
#4 YiHi (worst TC chipset I ever used #Rattlesnake)

• Agree
Reactions: BillW50

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
#3 Dicodes (too expensive for most folk)

Perhaps, but then, I've always bought Paranormals and the like.
Besides, it isn't a 'Best Price' list. It's a best TC chip list, and after years and LOTS of mods, Dicodes is hands down the best mod I've used.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
I like to see that data. Like how tight does the temperature vary? And most accurate TC means to me that 450°F is really 450°F.

For both using two identical tanks if I'm set for 410F I get 410-412 F. I always have unflavored in one and flavored in the other.

Is it 410 F in 'The Real World'? Zero idea (or interest) as what I want is a reproducible vape.

Reactions: TrollDragon

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
on a DNA if you want dead on accuracy, you need to do the calibration

Yeah, well, I've got the copper plug to set the mods resistance (which you couldn't do on the 200 chip), I do the case thermals, etc. Close to the Dicodes, but, no cigar.

Reactions: TrollDragon

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Perhaps, but then, I've always bought Paranormals and the like.
Besides, it isn't a 'Best Price' list. It's a best TC chip list, and after years and LOTS of mods, Dicodes is hands down the best mod I've used.
No point if the unicorn is wildly expensive...and requires unicorn wire to achieve even close to what they claim, which most TC'ers aren't .... enough to care about....the cost to accuracy quotient is way too high for most people. You can be as accurate as you like...but....

As for repeatable vape, my TreeBox Mini 75 (the one Smoke chipset they got right) gives me a more repeatable vape than even the DNA chipset...for the way I vape.

I got out if vaping just as Replay hit, and I'm led to believe makes repeatable vaping even easier

So I'm a bit confused, one minute you're talking about the best TC chipset, and the next repeatable vape, and I hate to tell you the latter is possible without the (expensive) former.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Yeah, well, I've got the copper plug to set the mods resistance (which you couldn't do on the 200 chip),

If yours doesn't say for the DNA200 like mine does, it doesn't mean you can't check the mod resistance on a DNA200.

2020-03-20_165016.png

I do the case thermals, etc. Close to the Dicodes, but, no cigar.

I still haven't seen the data.

Last edited:

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
High End TC boils down to personal preference.

They all can yield a good vape.

I didnt care for the Dicodes menu structure myself, but then I am used to DNAs and they work just fine for me.

To each their own vape........

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Both top quality boards that set a benchmark for all others to try and meet. To determine which performs best would require extensive tests across a wide range of resistances, power outputs and metal types with known TCR values. And even if one could objectively be declared a better performer, or more accurate, is the difference enough to be detectable from a vape perspective.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
And even if one could objectively be declared a better performer, or more accurate, is the difference enough to be detectable from a vape perspective.

It is! Dicodes TC with a saturated coil does that pulsing thing which is like vaping PWM all over again. Sure it doesn't do it all of the time. Just enough to be really annoying. Here is the difference between Dicodes and the DNA.

Dicodes vs Evolv DNA75 TC.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread