TC vaping - small issues (mod not firing).

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaronHarkonnen

Oct 21, 2019
Israel
Hello again!

I’ve been very happy with TC vaping for the past week, I think that’s my thing for now.

I do have some hiccups that I haven’t found much answers to online:
1) sometimes my mod won’t fire.
Given that wick is saturated, coil is not too cold/hot. Usually that’s accompanied by drop in coil resistance (for example from 0.99ohm to 0.91ohm).
my fix - removing the atomizer, and screwing it back again. (Sometimes couple of times, until my mod reads the resistance as 0.99 again).
2) generally I’ve noticed that the lower the resistance of the coil, the less reliable it is (R drops more often = mod not firing)

- is what I described a typical TC experience? What can fix that?
- may Ti coil fix it?
- may better mod (evolv dna chip) fix any of that?

generaly speaking - what can I expect if I upgrade to DNA chip, what will realistically and noticeably get better in terms of TC experience?

my gear right now - ehpro cold steel 100, siren 2 v.2 MTL RTA, SS316L 26awg wire, coils are 4mm Dia 8-10 wraps Spaced.

thank you
Vadim

Reactions: stols001

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
The initial reading of coil resistance must be done with a coil that is at room temperature. If you have pre-fired that coil, say to remove hot spots as an example, then it’s resistance would have changed in conjunction with its current temperature. 0.99 ohms down to 0.91 ohms equates to a -66°C temperature change with SS316L. Remove the atomizer, let it sit for a few minutes to equalize it’s temperature and screw it back onto the device allowing the device to acknowledge the new resistance.

The fluctuating resistance can also be due to a poor connection. Ensure your coil is clamped properly and the atomizer is screwed on snug.

The device could also be faulty. You will have to conduct a process of elimination to determine that.

DNA’s are what I consider one of the best in the industry when it comes to Temp Control. Not only are they super accurate, setting a benchmark for all others to attempt to achieve, but you also have the ability to monitor the coil and device in real time through it’s Escribe software. Extremely beneficial!

Newer “C” models also have the Reply feature. Not really Temp Control but works off the same principles of providing a preferred vape by monitoring resistance and modulating power. Awesome feature!

BaronHarkonnen

Oct 21, 2019
Israel
The initial reading of coil resistance must be done with a coil that is at room temperature. If you have pre-fired that coil, say to remove hot spots as an example, then it’s resistance would have changed in conjunction with its current temperature. 0.99 ohms down to 0.91 ohms equates to a -66°C temperature change with SS316L. Remove the atomizer, let it sit for a few minutes to equalize it’s temperature and screw it back onto the device allowing the device to acknowledge the new resistance.
I don't pre fire coils anymore, as per suggested on this forum, instead i space the coils. (also in preparation for Ti wire i'm waiting to receive).
But, i do heat the coil when i apply the juice to the wick.

I will try to let the Attomizer sit a few minutes though before screwing.

The fluctuating resistance can also be due to a poor connection. Ensure your coil is clamped properly and the atomizer is screwed on snug.
Its the first thing i pay attention to

The device could also be faulty. You will have to conduct a process of elimination to determine that.
i still have 2+ months of warranty,
what are the tell tale signs of faulty mod?
(for example my last mod was changing R readings randomly, but that was too obvious, it didn't work properly in VW as well. are there more subtle clues to look for?)

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Nothing wrong with pre-heating a SS coil, just do not glow it red hot. However, this should be avoided with Titanium coils. Even though spacing a coil mitigates hot spots, preheating can burn off any machining oils or oils transferred from your hands.

I do not know your practices with building, but all coils should be read a room temperature. A coil made out of SS can change resistance just from body heat handling that coil. Even more so with a Titanium wire. Reading at room temperature creates a base line resistance in which the device can work with. Any change in the metals temperature will be reflected by it’s resistance. Some metals more so than others.

As for trouble shooting fluctuating resistance. Do you have another atomizer? Even a Sub Ohm tank with a cartridge coil. Does resistance fluctuate with different modes, such as wattage only.

• Informative
Reactions: Opinionated

BaronHarkonnen

Oct 21, 2019
Israel
Nothing wrong with pre-heating a SS coil, just do not glow it red hot. However, this should be avoided with Titanium coils. Even though spacing a coil mitigates hot spots, preheating can burn off any machining oils or oils transferred from your hands.

I do not know your practices with building, but all coils should be read a room temperature. A coil made out of SS can change resistance just from body heat handling that coil. Even more so with a Titanium wire. Reading at room temperature creates a base line resistance in which the device can work with. Any change in the metals temperature will be reflected by it’s resistance. Some metals more so than others.

As for trouble shooting fluctuating resistance. Do you have another atomizer? Even a Sub Ohm tank with a cartridge coil. Does resistance fluctuate with different modes, such as wattage only.

I will take notice to R readings at room temperature, because I haven’t in the past to be honest.

I do have additional 3 atomizers, DL RTAs, i will try TC on them, see if i have R fluctuations.

in Wattage mode, i don't see R fluctuating, but the readings are different, for example same coil in TC is 0.99ohm, in Watt mode it shows as 1.05ohm.

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
in Wattage mode, i don't see R fluctuating, but the readings are different, for example same coil in TC is 0.99ohm, in Watt mode it shows as 1.05ohm.

It should be the same resistance, regardless. Is there an option to re-read the resistance? Unscrew the atty, let it sit for 10 minutes (yes that is long) then re-screw it back on.

• Informative

BaronHarkonnen

Oct 21, 2019
Israel
It should be the same resistance, regardless. Is there an option to re-read the resistance? Unscrew the atty, let it sit for 10 minutes (yes that is long) then re-screw it back on.
No option to re read the resistance, just by changing modes, or unscrewing the atty.

my coil after 10minutes reads 0.9ohm though in all modes (tc, vw, bypass, vv)
So my guess would be that the readings of 0.99 where done when coil was still hot.

but, I have a problem now - things start to happen (I mean vapor production), only if I go as high as 300C°. 315° being the limit of the mod.
i don’t mind, but It seems very high...I can’t feel excessive heat or anything though, it just vapes as I expect it. Lower temp and It simply does not work (very little vapor).

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
That is strange. What are your TC settings? Wattage and TCR value. If in wattage mode with the same wattage, do you get a satisfying vape?

Does the device show the live resistance? Meaning, will it display the rise in resistance as the coil heats? Not all devices do, but I am not familiar with Ehpro

• Useful

BaronHarkonnen

Oct 21, 2019
Israel
That is strange. What are your TC settings? Wattage and TCR value. If in wattage mode with the same wattage, do you get a satisfying vape?

Does the device show the live resistance? Meaning, will it display the rise in resistance as the coil heats? Not all devices do, but I am not familiar with Ehpro

My TC settings:
First, after vaping a bit the R did change to 0.93ohm (and stays that way) and it is different again in different modes (up to 1.02 in VW, and 1.04 on Bypass)

Temp 270C
Watt 75w

my mod shows live R and live W!
Highest R is 1.13ohm, Highest Watt is 55w. (Rise in R is consistent in all modes - 1.13ohm was the highest value)

regarding TCR - I chose SS mode, so I don’t get to chose TCR value, so I would assume 88?
I can try TCR mode, I can change the values there, but I would not know what to do really.
In VW mode with 55W I get very similar vape experience.

update: I have a feeling that the longer I vape, the less temperature I can use. Now with 250°c I can vape fine.
But if I take a break, and coils cools down enough, I need to up the temp again.

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Something does not sound right. We can assume it is using a TCR value of 88 but without being able to see it, it could be any value. BTW – proper value would be 0.00088, 88 is just a short forum….probably implemented due to screen real-estate limitations.

Set up TCR and use 0.00088 value. You may have to enter 88, or 088. Set your same temperature and wattage and see if that improves.

• Informative

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Could also be an issue with a poor connection. Use a screwdriver and insure the 510 pin on your atty is screwed in nice and tight. Check and dry any juice on the bottom of your atty, top of your mod, and in the well of the 510 connection on your mod. Use a pencil eraser (there are better choices but this works) to clean the ends of the 510 on both the atty and mode. Finally, check your coils to insure good and tight connections there.

BaronHarkonnen

Oct 21, 2019
Israel
Something does not sound right. We can assume it is using a TCR value of 88 but without being able to see it, it could be any value. BTW – proper value would be 0.00088, 88 is just a short forum….probably implemented due to screen real-estate limitations.

Set up TCR and use 0.00088 value. You may have to enter 88, or 088. Set your same temperature and wattage and see if that improves.

small screen it is indeed. It’s tiny.

anyway I set TCR to 0.00088.
It vapes maybe a little better, but extremely close to SS mode. I still have to use higher temperatures sometimes (280-300°c), can go as low as 250° but not less, usually between 250-270°c.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Keep in mind that Temperature Control is nothing more than a calculated prediction. We may not know the true TCR value of the metal we are using. Because SS is an alloy that allows a various of materials, it’s true TCR value can be vastly different. SS has a TCR value between 0.00088 to 0.001.

A 0.9 ohm coil using a TCR value of 0.00088 is required to rise in resistance by 0.19 ohms to reach 270°C

Same coil using a TCR value of 0.001, and rising by the same amount of 0.19 ohms equals 240°C 247°C

We have the same coil, rising by the same amount of resistance, but a +/- 30°C 23°C difference in calculated temperatures.

Last edited:

BaronHarkonnen

Oct 21, 2019
Israel
Keep in mind that Temperature Control is nothing more than a calculated prediction. We may not know the true TCR value of the metal we are using. Because SS is an alloy that allows a various of materials, it’s true TCR value can be vastly different. SS has a TCR value between 0.00088 to 0.001.

A 0.9 ohm coil using a TCR value of 0.00088 is required to rise in resistance by 0.19 ohms to reach 270°C

Same coil using a TCR value of 0.001, and rising by the same amount of 0.19 ohms equals 240°C

We have the same coil, rising by the same amount of resistance, but a +/- 30°C difference in calculated temperatures.

Is Ti wire more predictable? I did order one, in hopes it will perform more consistently.

you mentioned that something does not sound right - do you suspect something specific?

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Is Ti wire more predictable? I did order one, in hopes it will perform more consistently.

you mentioned that something does not sound right - do you suspect something specific?

Titanium is a purer metal so it’s true TCR value will not change by much if other alloys are used within the wire. Ti is usually >95% pure – in fact I have not seen vape wire under 98%

What does not sound right to me is the reason why you have to drop the temperature to receive a preferred vape. That should not be needed and has me a bit puzzled.

BaronHarkonnen

Oct 21, 2019
Israel
Could also be an issue with a poor connection. Use a screwdriver and insure the 510 pin on your atty is screwed in nice and tight. Check and dry any juice on the bottom of your atty, top of your mod, and in the well of the 510 connection on your mod. Use a pencil eraser (there are better choices but this works) to clean the ends of the 510 on both the atty and mode. Finally, check your coils to insure good and tight connections there.
I do everything you mentioned, except tightening 510 pin. Did that just to be sure!

BaronHarkonnen

Oct 21, 2019
Israel
Titanium is a purer metal so it’s true TCR value will not change by much if other alloys are used within the wire. Ti is usually >95% pure – in fact I have not seen vape wire under 98%

What does not sound right to me is the reason why you have to drop the temperature to receive a preferred vape. That should not be needed and has me a bit puzzled.

regarding the temperature, it’s not that I have to lower the temperature to have a good vape, I just thought that vaping at lower temps should be better. I would prefer to just leave it on 290-300° that way it fires more consistently, but - isn’t 300° a lot?

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
regarding the temperature, it’s not that I have to lower the temperature to have a good vape, I just thought that vaping at lower temps should be better. I would prefer to just leave it on 290-300° that way it fires more consistently, but - isn’t 300° a lot?

Sorry – misunderstood you. I personally think those are high temperatures, but as mentioned, they are calculated predictions based on the TCR value you entered. We do not know the actual temperature of the coil unless we measure it with some sort of thermometer. Is the vape HOT?

Use TCR 0.001 and drop the temperature to 240°C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread