Tenn. hospital testing for nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMB

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2009
Western NC
The gov't has gone waaaaay too far with smoking regulations! I was just watching the news....seems a hospital in TN is now testing employees for nicotine. If they show nicotine in their urine...they get fired!! WTF?
This is our government in action! I hope they are looking for alcohol, too.
My nicotine does not adversely affect my ability to work....but my LACK of nicotine will adversely affect those around me when I have to strangle the life out of some ... who has ...... me off! Of course, I have to wonder if PV's can be explained in a situation like this, or if nicotine from any delivery system will cause the job loss? Stupid....I'm so tired of everyone feeling that smoking is right there with all of the world's worst sins....sigh. Just had to vent!

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
The gov't has gone waaaaay too far with smoking regulations! I was just watching the news....seems a hospital in TN is now testing employees for nicotine. If they show nicotine in their urine...they get fired!! WTF?
This is our government in action! I hope they are looking for alcohol, too.
My nicotine does not adversely affect my ability to work....but my LACK of nicotine will adversely affect those around me when I have to strangle the life out of some ... who has ...... me off! Of course, I have to wonder if PV's can be explained in a situation like this, or if nicotine from any delivery system will cause the job loss? Stupid....I'm so tired of everyone feeling that smoking is right there with all of the world's worst sins....sigh. Just had to vent!

It is nicotine itself, so even patches, gum, and e cigs as well as smokeless tobacco are prohibited. This hospital even admits it is not about the savings on health insurance. It is simply about not permitting the appearance of smoking. Until people begin to rebel against this rather than just lamely accepting it, it will get worse and worse until there is no freedom.

Shortstuff116

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Bellingham, MA
That is obviously beyond ridiculous! Personally, I think that in a few instances that those in authority have gone too far in their regulation of tobacco products. But because they have been so successful, I think it has given them large egos and feelings of power, then they might as well go after anything else they so desire.

In my home town as I'm sure it is in many, no police, fire or rescue personnel are allowed to smoke at all, they must be and remain non-smokers if they want to keep their jobs. I don't agree with it, but that's just the way things are going. There are many health insurance plans that do charge you more for your policy if you are a smoker. And the hits just keep on comin'.

And I'm sure that because someone vapes and their test shows positive for nicotine, then they will be fired. Unbelievable!

:-x

OMB

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2009
Western NC
The standard "reasoning" is that smokers are unhealthy and overburden the health care system, resources, and cost more overall. While I understand their "thinking", alcoholics create the same burdens on the systems mentioned.
Personally, I want them to start looking at everything as closely as they appear to be looking at smokers. I am tired of the sideways leers and outright rude comments made by non-smokers!!! I am a rather considerate smoker and try to be mindful of the rights of non-smokers, but they need to give some, too. If smoking caused me to stumble around or drive erratically...fine, fire me!!! Aside from that...leave me alone already!

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
What if you live with a heavy smoker, bu thave never smoked yourself?
Would you get nic in your urine from 2nd hand absorbtion? I don't know btw - I'm asking from a curiosity standpoint.
If ths IS possible where would you stand as far as being an employee at this hospital? Would they be able to prove it wasn't you? (ie, doing a blood test, which idk if that would work if you're absorbing nic from your heavily smoking partner) Would they refuse to believe it wasn't you and fire you anyway?
Would they/could they make a rule that you could not both be an employee AND have a partner who smoked heavily?
You see where I'm going with this hopefully..

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
You would never get enough nicotine from second-hand smoke for this to work, so they won't buy it. Yes, I'm aware of the logical disconnect from reality, and the mental gymnastics necessary to believe both of these mutually exclusive things at the same time, but they do it all day long:

"The effects of second-hand smoke are lethal"
"The effects of second-hand smoke are insignificant"

All. Day. Long.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
It wasn't a workaround I was thinking of - more actual case scenario if you really DIDN'T smoke but your partner resembled a chimney on fire. SO, its NOT possible to absorb enough nic into the non-smoker, then to have it test in urine is what youre saying if I understand correctly.
That's almost a shame becuase I would be interested to see what would happen, vis a vis, could they 'suggest' you have relationships with soley non smoking partners or terminate your employment, under their rules because you were.
The implications were quite frightening - and I hope they are just thoughts from my head and never soemthing that would actually occur.

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
It wasn't a workaround I was thinking of - more actual case scenario if you really DIDN'T smoke but your partner resembled a chimney on fire. SO, its NOT possible to absorb enough nic into the non-smoker, then to have it test in urine is what youre saying if I understand correctly...

I'm not an expert on this, but I've heard of "similar" situations (involving another chemical) where the answer was no, it doesn't work that way, and that person was fired or given the appropriate military discipline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread