TFA RY4D Percent Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting out slow by working with single flavors for now. I just started a batch of TFA Double RY4, mosty VG, 33 mg nic, 4% TFA RY4D. After reading a bunch of recipes, I see that a lot of people mix it at 10% or higher, so I am wondering if I should add more flavor soon so I won't have to wait an extra week or two to the already expected steep time.

I figured I would start on the low side for flavoring to be cautious, but is that too little to do much good by itself?

Thanks.

So I tried it at 4% right after mixing and again after a few hours, and it tasted like a honey mustard sauce to me (kind of icky), but very faint. I gave it a couple of hot water baths (~140 degrees F) today and a bunch more shaking, and the flavor became more noticeable and transformed to a light maple syrup taste (definitely an improvement). I asked my wife to try it, and she says she can hardly taste anything. I have very sensitive taste buds, so my descriptions are probably meaningless to everyone else.

So I bumped it up to 8% today to see what happens. I want something that has a pretty serious flavor "punch" because I do a lot of unflavored and break that up with something nice and tasty when the urge kicks in. So tomorrow it will probably get a few more hot water treatments and a bunch more shaking.

Eventually I will pass judgement on it, but for now it is really interesting for me to see how much the flavor changes from one day to the next. That, to me. is the great thing about DIY; experimentation and learning from the experiments, although saving a significant amount of money is a good motivator too.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I'm starting out slow by working with single flavors for now. I just started a batch of TFA Double RY4, mosty VG, 33 mg nic, 4% TFA RY4D. After reading a bunch of recipes, I see that a lot of people mix it at 10% or higher, so I am wondering if I should add more flavor soon so I won't have to wait an extra week or two to the already expected steep time.

I figured I would start on the low side for flavoring to be cautious, but is that too little to do much good by itself?

Thanks.

Always taste your mix directly after you mix it. If you don't you have no baseline to judge the steep progress. RY4D will mellow with time and produce subtle top notes. So you will be able to judge right away if it's to weak. RY4D needs 2 weeks to mature and if you add a cream 3 - 4 weeks depending on the cream used. If you add a chocolate note then 4 - 5 weeks. If you add just caramel 2 - 3 weeks.

Wingsfan0310 knows what he's doing with RY4D so his advice is right on point.

Last edited:

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
I've made that dry4,bavarian cream,and caramel candy several times,that's good stuff.I give it 2 hot water baths,then let it sit overnight,and it's very good the next day,it will continue to get better every day after that.I got away from it for a while to change up flavors,but left a half bottle in the cabinet,it sat in there for at least a month and a half,and it is the best thing i have ever tasted,nice smooth and very creamy.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Hi everyone, I've asked this question before with no conclusive answers. Does anyone get a chemical taste from RY4D regardless of how long it is steeped? I initially mixed mine at 7% and the chemical taste was there even after a month.... Gradually reduced it, and the chemical taste did not go away until I reached 4.5%. But now I have a liquid that is too short on flavor. I mix at 50/50. Could it be a bad batch? I purchased mine from RTS 6 months ago. If I can disregard the chemical taste, I am comfortable at 5.5 %.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I've asked this question before with no conclusive answers. Does anyone get a chemical taste from RY4D regardless of how long it is steeped? I initially mixed mine at 7% and the chemical taste was there even after a month.... Gradually reduced it, and the chemical taste did not go away until I reached 4.5%. But now I have a liquid that is too short on flavor. I mix at 50/50. Could it be a bad batch? I purchased mine from RTS 6 months ago. If I can disregard the chemical taste, I am comfortable at 5.5 %.

I bought mine from TFA about 2 months ago and mixed it at 8%, and to be honest, it doesn't taste like much except sweet, with a hint of pancake syrup. It is not bad tasting at all, just very sweet. I had never used it before and did not know what to expect, but a few others here remarked about it being very light on flavor around the same time, and a query was put out to TFA, and they replied that it was a new batch but the formulation had not changed. So it seemed that maybe it needed aging, but after 2 months mine is the same as it was 2 weeks after mixing. I just use it for sweetening other flavors now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread