Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftCoastVaper

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2010
Mill Valley, CA
www.nexgenvapor.com
So I was filling a new cart a couple of weeks ago, but little did I know that my needle had developed a slight hook on the tip, probably from being dropped. Anyway, upon retraction, the polyfill snagged and came straight out of the tube - damn. Brand new cart destroyed... or so i thought.

Naturally I was gonna toss it and start over. But some inner voice told me to try dripping a little juice straight onto the coil, which was still intact. Wow! Nice! Just like a real atty! So, with tip installed, I spent a day enjoying my new dripper.

After awhile, though, dripping gets old (at least for me). I thought, "Wonder what would happen if I punched a small hole and stuck it in a tank? Hmmm..." Frankly, I figured it would just flood catastrophically, thus ending the experiment.

To my extreme surprise, it worked! So cool! Now I've got the best of both worlds - real dripping flavor and vapor production plus no-hassle filling. Frankly I was getting pretty tired of burnt-tasting, clogged carts which last a couple of days (maybe a week), and then become disgusting (sounds like my relationships). Proof of this concept: pulling the filler out of a well-used unit and noticing how badly burned it was. I'm sure inhaling those chemicals is pretty healthy...

If you'd like to try this here are a couple of tips (and more to come, I'm sure):

1. Kanger carts seem to work better than Boges when it comes to removing the filler - I wrecked a couple of the latter types when the entire guts of the thing came out with the polyfill.
2. Use a dental pick or a paperclip with a small hook bent at the end. Don't force the fill out - work it gently.
3. Don't fill the tank up too much - this seems to encourage flooding.
4. Keep the punched hole as small as possible, especially if you use thin juices. You can adjust the size as necessary later, but start tiny.
5. I'm using 3-ish ohm carts which seem to work best at 4.5-5.0 volts. Too much power = burning. Less is more with this setup.
6. Caveat: you'll burn juice like a '68 Eldorado burns gas. Good time to restock. But, like the Caddy, it's one smooth, tasty ride.

Enjoy!

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
Yes sir good idea. The whole dripping on a carto w/o filler has been around for a while. There is even a thread for making a 306 atty tank, which I have made and use daily. It works great. We've been discussing trying it with a 510 atty and my suggestion was to do exactly what you did except to do it w a HH357 long barrell. So now that we know it works Im gonna give it a go. Here is the 306 link.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tank-mods/281375-306-atty-tank-using-dcc-tank.html

LeftCoastVaper

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2010
Mill Valley, CA
www.nexgenvapor.com
Ok, fair enough. Try it - you'll like it. It takes some fiddling to get it just right, so expect a little flooding or dry hits at first, but you should get the hang of it pretty quickly. Top tip: adjust the flow rate by sliding the tank up or down on the punched hole. If it gurgles, move the tank up and away from the hole. Dry, move it down so more fluid can flow. Most importantly, don't fill the tank too high - the extra fluid pressure will definitely cause flooding. One of those tanks with the side filler (Mom and Pop's tanks or something) is probably ideal, but since I make my own I can't say from experience.

Another benefit is the incredible ease of cart cleaning. Just run some hot water through it, blow and either air or burn dry. Good as new. No filler to screw things up with irremovable deposits on the coil. So nice...

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com

LeftCoastVaper

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2010
Mill Valley, CA
www.nexgenvapor.com
I don't use a fill hole per se; just slide the tank up and over the cart and drip in the juice. Since I've never owned a pre-made tank I can't comment on how easy or difficult this might be with your specific model. I will say that I've been using one cheapo Kanger for a week now and it still tastes like brand new. This has never happened before so I'm pretty jazzed about this whole concept.

Just remember that this is serious DIY. You may not get it right the first time, so plan on experimenting with hole sizes, juice types (thicker is probably better), and the up and down slide technique. Once you get the hang of it, though, it's SO worth it!

LeftCoastVaper

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2010
Mill Valley, CA
www.nexgenvapor.com
That might work, but if you limit the fill to about a quarter tank you won't run into too many pressure-related problems. It's more about controlling the juice flow into the hole, and in this case size does matter. I'm gonna try a really tiny puncture on my next cart and see if it improves the feed. Nice thing is, with a saddle valve it's easy to make incremental tweaks.

Last edited:

keenanmcfar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2012
ottawa
How about using a sidefill screw, and then having it at the bottom of the tank where the holes are in the carto, and then using it to control the flow into the carto?

my thoughts exactly!once i get some money rolling in i will try this with one of my el cheapo tanks and see how it does!
seems a lot easier than the slide technique

LeftCoastVaper

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2010
Mill Valley, CA
www.nexgenvapor.com
Yeah, it might be kind of tough to find the perfect solution with commercially made tanks. The ideal is slightly shorter than an XL cart so there won't be issues with fitting the tip when the tank's in an "up" position. I use 20 ml syringes so they're pretty easy to customize. Plus the plunger ends are soft and pliable enough to allow efficient sliding without losing the watertight seal.

Last edited:

LeftCoastVaper

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2010
Mill Valley, CA
www.nexgenvapor.com
Update: With a little careful fiddling I've been able to get the fill out of Boges without yanking up the electricals. Now I find that these actually draw a bit better than the Kangers (which also work fine), so I'm changing my cart recommendation. Live and learn. Another inexplicable phenomenon: some carts draw in less juice than others, even with the same size hole punched. You may have to add an extra to avoid burning, but start really small.

If they do flood I find it's more effective to drain the extra juice from the top of the cart rather than blowing out through the connector. Just tip it into the bottle rather than wasting it.

Vego

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
pittsburgh, pa
Holy crap! I don't know how long this is going to hold up, but it's working really well for me in the last 10 minutes. I pulled the filling out of a 1.7 smoktech, dripped a few drops to wet the coil, and put it in my Mom & Pop Sub tank. Filled the tank about 1/3 with juice and it's working! No flooding so far with a 50/50 Absinthe. The only slight problem is the draw is a bit airy, but it's workable. I can't believe how well it's working. I've got to see if it holds up over time, but this may be the ticket for my remaining cartos which have been collecting dust... along with my sub tank. Thanks so much for the heads up!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread