The Chinese invented and brought us the modern ecig! Agree or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
USA!!! USA!!!

Tear..

product_thumb.php

Last edited:

caged

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Laurel, MD
It's a fact Gilbert had the first patent on the vaporizing ecig, and Hon Lik brought us the current ecig today, I agree with this part, and I highly doubt that Hon Lik's patent will supersede Gilbert's in any way, if that where the case then patents written 40yrs ago would be worthless and that's just not how patent law works so Gilbert's will most likely stand. There is to much $$$ involved and now that Big tobacco & Big Pharma are involved there's just no way they would let that happen with all the power and deep pockets they have and use in many ways.. But as far as regulation on a 40yr old product I have to disagree, times change, laws change, and especially politic's & judges change, hahah,, bu the FDA can step in and will be stepping in to set Reg's on the Nic end of the equation here, in fact I would bet there well into page #xxx and almost finished righting the Reg's, it's just a matter of time when they go into law. This will probably happen once Big Pharma & Big tobacco come to an agreement with the FDA setting the terms to make all parties involved to be able to move forward.

Gilbert's patent used a light bulb to vaporize juice not an atomizer. There are definitely differences in the technology. Patents also have a finite life before they become public domain (approximately 14 - 20 years, depending on the type). Patents from the 1960s would have long expired by now. If Gilbert's patent was deemed the same, the technology is now public domain.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Even if it can be argued that the Chinese did not invent the e-cig, it can not be argued that we would not be vaping if it weren't for the Chinese. So yes, the Chinese brought us the modern e-cig and popularized vaping.

This is the reality when it comes to vaping as we know it. The rest is just academic semantics.

dragonbone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2009
Somewhere
Gilbert's patent used a light bulb to vaporize juice not an atomizer. There are definitely differences in the technology. Patents also have a finite life before they become public domain (approximately 14 - 20 years, depending on the type). Patents from the 1960s would have long expired by now. If Gilbert's patent was deemed the same, the technology is now public domain.
So if the patent photocopies are real, (which I suppose they probably are) then I would imagine something lika a giant 60's flashlight with 'flavor water' or 'asthma medicine' dropped on a 'bulb'.

Rivaman

May 4, 2012
London
To go in a slightly different direction. I hear a lot about the technology not being available until recently to make a modern e-cigarette, but they are really pretty simple, just a heating coil, battery,microswitch, and case.
Not sure about 60s but I certainly remember suitable batterys being around in the 70s. It would probaly only last an hour or so, but technically its not difficult at all, I could probaly make one myself! The only real insight needed is that vapourising Propylene Glycol makes an effect similar to burning tobacco. What is strange is why it took until 2003 for a working device to be made,the 'technology' has been there for decades. Or am I missing something.

Last edited:

newq

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Eldersburg Maryland USA
I remember reading of a man who had a patent for an electric cigarette from some time in the 60s. The article was saying how he was never able to debut it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I betcha this was because even back then the FDA were a bunch of .... suckers.

c'mon, irrelevant but damned funny!

Jim Bob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2011
Kentucky
Really? Does it matter who invented it? All that matters is it got us off analogs. Now just vape the damn thing.

I guess that depends on one's values.

IF you value those doing work never thought of prior getting due credit for Their hard work and vision at a time that most didn't see the very real dangers of smoking, IF you care about taking from or giving more "oomph" to the FDA.

OTHOH , I guess IF you don't value the truth and history, IF You don't believe hard work, dedication and vision should be rewarded and given due credit, then "not much really matters".

The OP made a statement (in another thread) was shown the truth and started This thread to "debate" well known facts and history (after being shown the very information he'd asked for no less).

Does anyone still use the light bulb that Edison invented? How about your telephone, is it anything like the first one that Bell invented? As technology progresses so do designs, that should never mean the inventors get no credit for the original thought and design.

I would expect the vaping community to appreciate the real inventor ; and to happily give credit where it's clearly due. Vaping has saved lives for sure, so "just vape" isn't quite good enough IMO not when giving credit to someone else, who came around > 40 years later from another country no less . :2c:

Last edited:

jtpjc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Netherlands
Last edited:

BHam

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2011
Chicago, IL
www.vapor4life.com

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys

ambientech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
somewhere
I guess that depends on one's values.

IF you value those doing work never thought of prior getting due credit for Their hard work and vision at a time that most didn't see the very real dangers of smoking, IF you care about taking from or giving more "oomph" to the FDA.

OTHOH , I guess IF you don't value the truth and history, IF You don't believe hard work, dedication and vision should be rewarded and given due credit, then "not much really matters".

The OP made a statement (in another thread) was shown the truth and started This thread to "debate" well known facts and history (after being shown the very information he'd asked for no less).

Does anyone still use the light bulb that Edison invented? How about your telephone, is it anything like the first one that Bell invented? As technology progresses so do designs, that should never mean the inventors get no credit for the original thought and design.

I would expect the vaping community to appreciate the real inventor ; and to happily give credit where it's clearly due. Vaping has saved lives for sure, so "just vape" isn't quite good enough IMO not when giving credit to someone else, who came around > 40 years later from another country no less . :2c:

I am sorry but what Gilbert invented had nothing in common with what we use today other than a battery and it's looks. If we use your stipulations for who invented the e-cig we could give Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot credit for the airplane.........

Jim Bob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2011
Kentucky
LOL @ "My stipulations", Let's see Gilbert had the FIRST patent for a "smoke free e-cig" more than 40 YEARS before the Chinese made one.......That IS the invention and the inventor this is not speculation or conjecture, the patent speaks for itself as far as I am concerned and clearly most here agree.

Again the first light bulb and first telephone are nothing like what we use today, that is common (and to be expected) but most realize who invented those items just the same LOL :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread