The Chinese invented and brought us the modern ecig! Agree or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambientech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
somewhere
LOL @ "My stipulations", Let's see Gilbert had the FIRST patent for a "smoke free e-cig" more than 40 YEARS before the Chinese made one.......That IS the invention and the inventor this is not speculation or conjecture, the patent speaks for itself as far as I am concerned and clearly most here agree.

Again the first light bulb and first telephone are nothing like what we use today, that is common (and to be expected) but most realize who invented those items just the same LOL :facepalm:

Consensus means nothing unless your Al Gore LOL

Last edited:

dragonbone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2009
Somewhere
The OP made a statement (in another thread) was shown the truth and started This thread to "debate" well known facts and history (after being shown the very information he'd asked for no less).
Does anyone still use the light bulb that Edison invented? How about your telephone, is it anything like the first one that Bell invented? As technology progresses so do designs, that should never mean the inventors get no credit for the original thought and design.
I would expect the vaping community to appreciate the real inventor ; and to happily give credit where it's clearly due. vaping has saved lives for sure, so "just vape" isn't quite good enough IMO not when giving credit to someone else, who came around > 40 years later from another country no less . :2c:
A few facts.....
The OP is me, and I'm a she, not a he.
I didn't want the derailing of another member's JUICE thread, so started this one.
I wanted a debate, because I don't take a 45 year old photocopy as necessarily true, and in order to answer you, I wanted a thread on this topic. I also hoped other people may be able to dig up stuff and comment.
I asked for photos of the supposed electronic cigarette, but got a diagram - not the same. Interesting and surprising, but not 'what I'd asked for'. Drawing a picture, is not the same as a real WORKING machine. Scientists and engineers invent millions and millions of things that never work and never get made. 99.9% of all patents never come to anything at all.

I don't consider this person to be the ' inventor' of the modern ecig. That honor goes to the Chinese and I give them the credit that is due to them (while vaping my Dekang juice in my Vision Stardust - on my eGo hehe). This other chap may have had an idea, maybe an excellent one, and put it on paper and filed a patent. But that was all. As far as we know, there were no prototypes, no working models or anything. No one knows if it could ever have worked.

As for the comparisons to the inventions of the lightbulb and the telephone. Those were actual working inventions!! Sorry Jim, no comparison at all.

All just my opinion of course...

Peace :vapor:

Last edited:

Jim Bob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2011
Kentucky
My apologies ma'am "he" is generic when gender is unknown ; an "invention" is the idea, whether it's marketed/tested or not is totally irrelevant . Another example is the nuclear bomb, Germany invented it , US built it and tested/used it first. That doesn't mean it was a US "invention" any more than this is a Chinese invention.

The problem with your question/debate is the assumption that "invention" and "modern e-cig" are one and the same , again they are not. No more than your smart phone and the original telephone (the invention) are the same. However to argue that there is no "link" would not be correct any more than this is correct.
You even asked "what did Gilbert do , was he an engineer" ? I don't see what it matters, you accept that a Chinese Pharmacist gets credit for an idea that was invented > 40 years prior.

You wish to ignore the facts that smoking cessation was Not something going on in 1963. You rather than think about the costs associated with producing something at a time there would have been little (if any) interest in , NONE of this takes away from the facts of the invention. You choose to give credit to someone who just came along > 40 years later and marketed the same thing when there WAS a huge anti smoking movement in most countries.

I choose to give credit to the incredible vision of inventing something that would have saved untold millions of lives. I realize the reasons why it was not marketed. There WAS a market (at the time) for light bulbs and telephones (clearly) e-cigs not so much . Still you ignore the facts of all of that...

You asked for pictures (not photograph) which was shown in a granted patent complete with US Patent # with diagrams of the design and invention no less, not to mention a 1967 Popular Mechanics article on the invention. You "try to make a big deal" of "pictures" but fail to admit (or understand?) that digital cameras and the internet did not exist in 1963 so your "expectations" (and what you seem to merit as "should be" ) are "off base" at best IMO .

At any rate IF a photocopy dated (applied 1963 - granted 1965 complete with patent #) of an actual US patent complete with specs and diagrams isn't "proof enough" than a photo wouldn't be either, quite easy to call "Photoshopped" , a total exercise in futility .

Maybe there were pictures at one time, maybe not, there is No way to Know, a patent with diagrams( which ARE pictures BTW) is proof enough that it was well thought out with the existing technology. It's also not hard to see where the later versions got their start, well IF one is looking for it at least.

I'm DONE with this. Clearly most see this issue for what it is, those who want to give credit to China will for whatever reason(s).
I would think it's good enough to give China the credit for having the common sense to market it as well as they have when they jumped onboard.

Last edited:

sawitall

Oct 17, 2011
ca bay area
diy modders, enthusiast, collective collaboration of ideas from the web, entrepreneurs who are savvy enough to identify and improve upon older designs. i dont know whether that herbert guy or the chinese pharmacist invented the ecig but we(not taking any credit for this. im just a consumer!) sure took it to the next level. "modern" if you will. emphasis on mod.

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
This is a continuation of a discussion on another thread.
I am grateful to the Chinese for bringing us the world's first ecigarette a few years ago and still continue to do so today, thereby possibly saving and/or improving millions of people's llives all over the world.

Agree or disagree? Pics and links and friendly debate welcome.

Just coming over here to hear your point of view, Dragonbone. I refuse to participate in Frankster's game; he was amusing for awhile, but I got bored. He won't hear anyone's advice or point of view, unless they shadow his own.

Your posts in that thread were very intelligent, and a pleasure to read.

dragonbone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2009
Somewhere
Just coming over here to hear your point of view, Dragonbone. I refuse to participate in Frankster's game; he was amusing for awhile, but I got bored. He won't hear anyone's advice or point of view, unless they shadow his own.
Your posts in that thread were very intelligent, and a pleasure to read.
Thanks Sandybeach. That is actually what I thought of your posts :). Yes, I saw you were trying to advise and help Franster, then finally got fed up lol. Actually I think Frankster is a girl, not a guy.... But that could just be the avatar messing with my brain.
Anyway, thanks so much for your comment!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread