The dreaded popcorn again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
This thread is reminding me of being told as a youth that a watermelon plant would spring out of my mouth and other orifices if I swallowed a watermelon seed. IIRC there was even A CHILDREN'S book about it. Something.
Anna

Makes me recall an old memory of a memory. My year older sister fixed me a mud pie and told me to eat it. I did - really. Then she let me have some cherries. Finally, she told me a cherry tree was going to grow inside me. I am not making this up

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
Worst disinformation ever.
Popcorn lungs are caused by continuous inhalation of certain chemicals, not usually present in vaping e-liquids.

Those few suspect compounds - which where present in some flavourings, have been long disused from mixologists and flavourists.

My neighbour - when I switched - started pestering me with popcorn lungs.
Last holiday in Italy, a group of smokers were heavily harassing every time I vaped, because 'it was killing me".
Stop.
Well, rarely I subohm, but those rare times, if somebody is in view, they start to cough from one hundred yards, at first distant sight of the cloud of Vapour.

The bad press has done a lot of damage. Too many non-vapers are anti-vapers, because of media bias.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
stupid.jpg

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
On a slightly more serious note - this kind of crapology coupled with Project Fear can do real damage to vaping and it's image.

When I started vaping over three years ago, it had taken off big style in Spain, a nation of demon smokers. There was virtually a vape shop in every street in central Fuengirola and even one in Mijas village where I resided and bided.

Spanish folk took to vaping from the off ... but then the Government began to be concerned about the revenue drop from tobacco taxes ( in Spain you can only buy cigarettes and tobacco from a licensed "Estanco" and suddenly there was great publicity given to "Popcorn Lung." The implication was that if you even stood near someone vaping you were at risk!!!

Finnvape ( naturally enough a big Finnish Firm selling Vaping Supplies) organised a Vaping Open Day with information, displays, a samples bar etc in Fuengirola.

Guess what - next day the papers majored on a person with COPD who had attended the event and been stretchered off... no names no packdrill and probably precious little fact.

Now there's only one vape shop in Fuengirola, the Spanish folk are back to smoking cigarettes and the Estanco and the Government are happy.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
On a slightly more serious note - this kind of crapology coupled with Project Fear can do real damage to vaping and it's image.

When I started vaping over three years ago, it had taken off big style in Spain, a nation of demon smokers. There was virtually a vape shop in every street in central Fuengirola and even one in Mijas village where I resided and bided.

Spanish folk took to vaping from the off ... but then the Government began to be concerned about the revenue drop from tobacco taxes ( in Spain you can only buy cigarettes and tobacco from a licensed "Estanco" and suddenly there was great publicity given to "Popcorn Lung." The implication was that if you even stood near someone vaping you were at risk!!!

Finnvape ( naturally enough a big Finnish Firm selling Vaping Supplies) organised a Vaping Open Day with information, displays, a samples bar etc in Fuengirola.

Guess what - next day the papers majored on a person with COPD who had attended the event and been stretchered off... no names no packdrill and probably precious little fact.

Now there's only one vape shop in Fuengirola, the Spanish folk are back to smoking cigarettes and the Estanco and the Government are happy.

I think we all try our best to combat this type of attack on vaping. I know I do, when someone speaks to me in RL (although that happens far less now that I vape far less) on these types of issues.

But the facts remain we can only do so much when we stand against governments, big tobacco and big pharma... we dont have the pull or the finances these other entities have, so it becomes a losing battle.

And in those times, we must laugh. It's all we've got really, and it saves us from crying.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I feel like I'd rather have popcorn lung than Erectile Dysfunction

woah, things just got serious. everyone act like adults.

:pop:

Both suck. But if you do get popcorn lung, it was likely from the 40 years you spent smoking than the 4 years of vaping. But hey, who needs facts these days?

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Is there a set of instructions I can refer to? :blush:

many actually. sort of depends on who you're asking. sort of depends on if you're willing to ask? wait, no, you should be asking if you're under 30. If you're in your 40-60s, continue from what you know, and try to act like a natural. If you're much older than that & you still haven't figured it out, just wing it. nobody will notice, besides those damn snooty geriatrics.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
The children starving in Africa thing is still kinda bad. There are people doing good work, and people doing bad work while claiming to try to fix it. Even the best of them occasionally mess up, and even the worst of them occasionally do something useful. The continuum of mostly effective towards fixing issues and mostly only enriching themselves is pretty vast though.

Oddly it doesn't get the media coverage like it did in the 80's. Ethiopia was on the nightly news constantly back then due to the horrible famine they were enduring. Strangely it never got better while the media coverage just kind of waned.

I work for a company that builds large industrial and marine pumps. We send workers to desolate parts of Africa installing pumps for fresh water systems. They have all been shocked and saddened at the level of famine they encounter while there.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

Gosh that was close! I automatically hit “play” before my mind caught up with the repercussions of my actions. To make it more fun the pause button wouldn’t work. I managed to close the window but was thinking I might have to hard crash my phone.

Some songs are lame, and some songs are earwormy, but the really dangerous ones are lame AND earwormy. That is one of them. I do not need that thing in my brain again.

Your avatar does not lie. The dark side of the force is stron in you.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Oddly it doesn't get the media coverage like it did in the 80's. Ethiopia was on the nightly news constantly back then due to the horrible famine they were enduring. Strangely it never got better while the media coverage just kind of waned.

In the 80s it was new and shocking. Then they covered it. After a year or two of hearing about it, it was no longer new and shocking so it stopped being news. It's human nature. A horror we've just learned of is a crisis. One we've had for a while and don't know how to fix or aren't willing to do what it takes to fix is just one of the sad realities of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread