Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
stupid.jpg

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
On a slightly more serious note - this kind of crapology coupled with Project Fear can do real damage to vaping and it's image.

When I started vaping over three years ago, it had taken off big style in Spain, a nation of demon smokers. There was virtually a vape shop in every street in central Fuengirola and even one in Mijas village where I resided and bided.

Spanish folk took to vaping from the off ... but then the Government began to be concerned about the revenue drop from tobacco taxes ( in Spain you can only buy cigarettes and tobacco from a licensed "Estanco" and suddenly there was great publicity given to "Popcorn Lung." The implication was that if you even stood near someone vaping you were at risk!!!

Finnvape ( naturally enough a big Finnish Firm selling Vaping Supplies) organised a Vaping Open Day with information, displays, a samples bar etc in Fuengirola.

Guess what - next day the papers majored on a person with COPD who had attended the event and been stretchered off... no names no packdrill and probably precious little fact.

Now there's only one vape shop in Fuengirola, the Spanish folk are back to smoking cigarettes and the Estanco and the Government are happy.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
On a slightly more serious note - this kind of crapology coupled with Project Fear can do real damage to vaping and it's image.

When I started vaping over three years ago, it had taken off big style in Spain, a nation of demon smokers. There was virtually a vape shop in every street in central Fuengirola and even one in Mijas village where I resided and bided.

Spanish folk took to vaping from the off ... but then the Government began to be concerned about the revenue drop from tobacco taxes ( in Spain you can only buy cigarettes and tobacco from a licensed "Estanco" and suddenly there was great publicity given to "Popcorn Lung." The implication was that if you even stood near someone vaping you were at risk!!!

Finnvape ( naturally enough a big Finnish Firm selling Vaping Supplies) organised a Vaping Open Day with information, displays, a samples bar etc in Fuengirola.

Guess what - next day the papers majored on a person with COPD who had attended the event and been stretchered off... no names no packdrill and probably precious little fact.

Now there's only one vape shop in Fuengirola, the Spanish folk are back to smoking cigarettes and the Estanco and the Government are happy.

I think we all try our best to combat this type of attack on vaping. I know I do, when someone speaks to me in RL (although that happens far less now that I vape far less) on these types of issues.

But the facts remain we can only do so much when we stand against governments, big tobacco and big pharma... we dont have the pull or the finances these other entities have, so it becomes a losing battle.

And in those times, we must laugh. It's all we've got really, and it saves us from crying.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I feel like I'd rather have popcorn lung than Erectile Dysfunction

woah, things just got serious. everyone act like adults.

:pop:

Both suck. But if you do get popcorn lung, it was likely from the 40 years you spent smoking than the 4 years of vaping. But hey, who needs facts these days?

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Both suck. But if you do get popcorn lung, it was likely from the 40 years you spent smoking than the 4 years of vaping. But hey, who needs facts these days?

And how many smokers contracted it again, Eskie? The number is escaping me at the moment. ;)

Reactions: Eskie

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Bronchiolitis Obliterans aka "Popcorn Lung"
Ah, just looked it up for the 90th time. Seems it does effect SMOKERS. Makes sense. Causes constant fatigue, shortness of breath, coughing, etc. Glad the only thing vapers really have to worry bout' is a little dry mouth.

I'll take a dry mouth from over vaping, over ED anyday. :p Having a dry mouth when I need a wet one is pretty easy to fix, I just grab a beer. Figuring out you've got ED from smoking is probably like figuring out you mixed your drink with the cat food spoon a chug too late. :yawn:

Last edited:
Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
And how many smokers contracted it again, Eskie? The number is escaping me at the moment. ;)

Vaping 0, smoking several thousand a year. Sort of a no brainer in my book. The number is likely higher in smokers who may get a diagnosis of COPD instead as it's a catchall for smoking related lung disease, but it is a distinct and unpleasant illness.

• Agree
Reactions: DPLongo22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread