Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
We were making contact microcoils a few years before that :) I think I still have a Phoenix 1 with one in it. It's fun to watch things get reinvented.

There were also fused contact and fused spaced using Al2O3 wicks.

Good job btw on demonstrating the predictable simplicity on the gizmo with your link. Think I'd gotten it from you before but I bookmarked it.

I know the Pheonix. It's the first atty I fitted with a tensioned micro out of a Protank. But in late 2012 this was more the common perception on coils touching in any way...Phoenix Rebuildable How To Wrap A Coil! | E-Cigarette Forum.

If there were contact coils attempted prior Boden (not sure, fused spaced?) and you have source material with graphics please let me know. I'm compiling background notes on the history of contact (micro) coils and rebuilding. What GG created in a video following his dissection of a carto and discovering a diminutive wind pretty much cinched it for me (poor) and I stopped watching. But he didn't call it a micro, I don't think.

I know sXD, pdib and others had posted touching coils prior to 2013 a number of times but the real effort to confirm their usability came with the thread he posted above. The problem persisted that these were "firecrackers"…the wire temp went way up.

So I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't quite a bit of incidental use or testing of contact coils. But no doubt these would have been roundly rejected by most because they are shorts. And we know how shorts perform in operation. That was a concern for super_X_drifter as he carefully avoided making them in downsizing his designs (as I did in my own research). However, he eventually did manage an approach that mitigated the adverse effects to the grateful regard of this (vaper) community and enormous impact to vaping.

Sorry for the length of this footnote…if you're interested.

This is where the science stood as of Dec 2012...The ceramic coated Coil | E-Cigarette Forum. There was a recognition that insulation was necessary to combine turns with any metal. At the time specifically ss mesh. This preceded only briefly sXd's attempts and my own to adapt strain to winds. It incorporates a good idea but misses the point that Kanthal as an alloy was designed to create it's own oxide layer for durability against corrosion.

For some years before sXd's introduction in early 2013 I was doing research in this field. Determined to study the oxidation properties of Kanthal and ascertain if it could be suitably insulated for vaping. I was encouraged by my examination of the literature and anecdotal observations of participants on forums such as this. So much so that I quit smoking to begin a more formal exploration. Although there were precursors certainly in the diminutive carto coil, etc. and as well the use of improperly prepared ceramic media, e.g. MacMaster-Carr, these ware nascent efforts before a fuller understanding of the dynamics of the microcoil precipitated by sXd.

Some might agree I've attempted to contribute more than a casual exposition on the microcoil's practical possibilities. First person I'm aware of to systematically promote the application of correctly processed ceramic braid wicking as the safe complement to a successfully insulated contact wind on the Protank Microcoil thread and earlier.

The indispensable safety precautions for ceramic weave weren't appreciated until we had three vendors utilizing 3M's recommended processing in Spring 2013. Then a more serious exploration by the community ensued and blossomed briefly. Not all the community got the memo though from the more accomplished members. So ceramic wick media in all states had a lukewarm reception despite the encouragement of a number of ECF notables. In large part the disillusion was due to the number of vapers exposed to improperly processed (raw) ceramic fiber. A consensus of rejection took root which still stifles adoption of ceramic wicking. There is still a growing and very savvy sub-segment of the REO's community and those that arose with popularity of the microcoil and tensioned microcoil who recognize how well they reveal the power and flow capacity of this media.

Unfortunately as with all innovation we often are set back by the frenzy of premature adoption, misuse and inadequate understanding of function and potential.

Because good things never truly disappear it's really only a matter of time before the adaptations of strain, ceramic media and the microcoil itself are more universally appreciated and utilized.

Good luck all.

:)

Last edited:

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
Good job btw on demonstrating the predictable simplicity on the gizmo with your link. Think I'd gotten it from you before but I bookmarked it.

I know the Pheonix. It's the first atty I fitted with a tensioned micro out of a Protank. But in late 2012 this was more the common perception on coils touching in any way...Phoenix Rebuildable How To Wrap A Coil! | E-Cigarette Forum.

If there were contact coils attempted prior Boden (not sure, fused spaced?) and you have source material with graphics please let me know. I'm compiling background notes on the history of contact (micro) coils and rebuilding. What GG created in a video following his dissection of a carto and discovering a diminutive wind pretty much cinched it for me (poor) and I stopped watching. But he didn't call it a micro, I don't think.

I know sXD, pdib and others had posted touching coils prior to 2013 a number of times but the real effort to confirm their usability came with the thread he posted above. The problem persisted that these were "firecrackers"…the wire temp went way up.

So I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't quite a bit of incidental use or testing of contact coils. But no doubt these would have been roundly rejected by most because they are shorts. And we know how shorts perform in operation. That was a concern for super_X_drifter as he carefully avoided making them in downsizing his designs (as I did in my own research). However, he eventually did manage an approach that mitigated the adverse effects to the grateful regard of this (vaper) community and enormous impact to vaping.

Sorry for the length of this footnote…if you're interested.

This is where the science stood as of Dec 2012...The ceramic coated Coil | E-Cigarette Forum. There was a recognition that insulation was necessary to combine turns with any metal. At the time specifically ss mesh. This preceded only briefly sXd's attempts and my own to adapt strain to winds. It incorporates a good idea but misses the point that Kanthal as an alloy was designed to create it's own oxide layer for durability against corrosion.

For some years before sXd's introduction in early 2013 I was doing research in this field. Determined to study the oxidation properties of Kanthal and ascertain if it could be suitably insulated for vaping. I was encouraged by my examination of the literature and anecdotal observations of participants on forums such as this. So much so that I quit smoking to begin a more formal exploration. Although there were precursors certainly in the diminutive carto coil, etc. and as well the use of improperly prepared ceramic media, e.g. MacMaster-Carr, these ware nascent efforts before a fuller understanding of the dynamics of the microcoil precipitated by sXd.

Some might agree I've attempted to contribute more than a casual exposition on the microcoil's practical possibilities. First person I'm aware of to systematically promote the application of correctly processed ceramic braid wicking as the safe complement to a successfully insulated contact wind on the Protank Microcoil thread and earlier.

The indispensable safety precautions for ceramic weave weren't appreciated until we had three vendors utilizing 3M's recommended processing in Spring 2013. Then a more serious exploration by the community ensued and blossomed briefly. Not all the community got the memo though from the more accomplished members. So ceramic wick media in all states had a lukewarm reception despite the encouragement of a number of ECF notables. In large part the disillusion was due to the number of vapers exposed to improperly processed (raw) ceramic fiber. A consensus of rejection took root which still stifles adoption of ceramic wicking. There is still a growing and very savvy sub-segment of the REO's community and those that arose with popularity of the microcoil and tensioned microcoil who recognize how well they reveal the power and flow capacity of this media.

Unfortunately as with all innovation we often are set back by the frenzy of premature adoption, misuse and inadequate understanding of function and potential.

Because good things never truly disappear it's really only a matter of time before the adaptations of strain, ceramic media and the microcoil itself are more universally appreciated and utilized.

Good luck all.

This may interest you: www.vaporwall.com • View topic - Unoxidised "genisis" SetUp (how to)

You may want to talk to Scubabatdan.

Here is the PDF I used when I was on the Kanthal side of the NiCrome/Kanthal debate. :http://www.kanthal.com/Global/Downl...ic heating elements/S-KA041-B-ENG_2011-09.pdf

As you can see on page 10 it clearly states the Oxide layer is primarily made of Al2O3 which is non conductive. This non conductive layer was part of the reason that Kanthal won.
This knowledge (among a small group) is what started the whole idea of using SS mesh. People thought that SS was oxidizing and insulating itself. The truth was that SS oxide is a semiconductor the carbon layer was just acting as a temporary insulator until the Kanthal oxide layer formed.

The problem with a large group of people like a forum is that misinformation grows at a faster pace than understanding. Most of us that understood what was really going on hid from the wall of questions in sub-forums on topics so specific that the general population never saw what we were up to. Easier to get stuff done that way.

I'll get to the rest tomorrow.

Last edited:

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
News at 11!! Phil Busardo comes to the exact same conclusion that the majority familiar with the topic have already come to.
Sure. He reads ECF.

EDIT: it's not mr. Busardo or somebody else who supply most vaping wisdom around web, its ECF. Its us.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL

Hey bo appreciate that. Every time I post it seems I end up rounding up a few I missed.

Still a spaced coil at the end of the day. My point boing that a microcoil doesn't gain as much advantage from its geometry until there's close contact. Simply touching just produces a short. Nobody got over that until supe started compressing them with heat input (torching) as far as I can see. And tight is just not good enough to create a stable geometry. You need the external input of energy (heat) by heat compression and forming and/or strain to imbue rigidity. Even if just tight they separate from thermal expansion. Overheating creates distortions of its own which slowly warps a wind. That's the advantage of strain. Sufficient to form the wire just tight enough to ensure balanced oxidation and that's a level higher than inputs from installation. As long as no more energy is applied than used to wind it or in operation balanced stress will tend to retrain the element to its wound state. A stable complete insulated circuit.

So yea, touching coils seem to perform but for the same reasons a short does they overheat. The downside is the thermal output is unpredictable and uncontrollable varying with the degree and extent of contact, power, etc. and yes, variations in internal stress. That's been my experience after evaluation of quite a few these past two years.

I think bo there was definitely a trajectory towards symmetry but Kanthal's inherent insulation potential was being overlooked. And inquiry into possibilities of it [symmetry] being the means to best achieve it.

Nice coil from way back.

Good luck bo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread