The Fist Pack/Mobile Power Univeral Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
Hello,

Here is a video on the Mobile Power Universal Mobile Charger battery pack, aka. Fist Pack.

I intended to mod this battery pack for a while and just modified this battery supply last night with a DSE901 connector, with some assistance from Kinabaloo. Have a look at the video, hopefully you'll be inspired to try this battery mod, and make the flashlight mod a thing of the past.

Part one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD46J2c9lTU

Part two:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfn8or6864o

I'll demonstrate the how to's later with an RN4081 connector. Here's a link to where to purchase one. 2200mAh Mobile Power Lithium-ion Battery Phone MP3/MP4 - eBay (item 220402222514 end time Jul-22-09 23:41:16 PDT)
I would love to order the different colors it advertises, so if anyone can find this particular battery pack elsewhere, please post a link.

After modding and bypassing whatever it is that is inhibiting the full amperage of the 18650 battery. The output to the connector is beyond 1amp at 4.2v, not 5v and 0.6amps. Great throat hit, good vapor.

Sorry about the kids whining in the background! lol, The wife was having to put them in headlocks!lol Just kidding!

Last edited:

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
great job dedmonwakin! Found the video very useful and informative. Will definitely be looking at modding these!
Glad that you find it helpful.

Again, I don't recommend wiring directly to the battery since it is unknown if the battery itself is protected, but the device itself is. So wiring directly to the battery, may not be detected by the circuit board in the event of over draining the battery. I used the positive leg of a capacitor and wired directly to the negative end of the battery.

Or, one could purchase and replace with known protected rechargeable 18650 batteries for the peace of mind.

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
100_2715.jpg

100_2719.jpg

Pay no mind to the excessive wires left. I left them there in case I decide to add a dedicated power button and on/off switch.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
To quickly sum up from the previous thread, the original current limitation is due to the circuit upping the battery voltage to the 5v needed for usb ouput at 5v.

By connecting before this conversion (but after the battery protection) one can get the full power capability of the battery.

Positive terminal of the smaller of the two large capacitors. The one on the right in the photo above, nearest to the battery. The capacitors are the round black-sleeved things. The negative of the capacitor has a bold white line on that side of the black sleeve; solder the positive atty wire to the other side, on the circuit board (don't overheat, and visually check for a good contact and no shorts).

Last edited:

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
To quickly sum up from the previous thread, the original current limitation is due to the circuit upping the battery voltage to the 5v needed for usb ouput at 5v.

By connecting before this conversion (but after the battery protection) one can get the full power capability of the battery.

Positive terminal of the smaller of the two large capacitors.
Exactly, which I have done. The more I vape from it, the more I love this mod.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Exactly, which I have done. The more I vape from it, the more I love this mod.

I'd say you have created one of the best mods here, especially among those that can be easily replicated.

Good vapor production evident from the video - and without really trying :)

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
I'd say you have created one of the best mods here, especially among those that can be easily replicated.

Good vapor production evident from the video - and without really trying :)
I agree. Using this particular battery pack rivals any mod being sold at many sites. Although I wish I could take full, or even partial credit for this mod. So little needs to be done to make this mod, it would be rediculous for me to expect credit, other than finding this battery pack.

Anyone can do this, the only tools you need, is a drill or dremel to make an opening (it's plastic, so it could be done with a hobby knife as well.) Epoxy putty(recommended over epoxy glue) and your typical supplies used to create a simple passthru or modded flashlight.

The time it takes to modify is, 10-15 minutes. That's including the time it takes for your solder gun to heat up!:p

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
Found a dealer that sells them for $16.00..........minimum 100 pieces:(
mobile power for cell phone ,digital camera ,pda... - APC-2200MINI - anytone (China Manufacturer) - Digital Accessories - Digital Products

The manufacturer is Anytone, I visited their website as well, and it appears that they only sell in bulk as well, since they are wholesalers.

But, it gives a better description than the seller on ebay.
Feature:

1.High capacity: 2200mAh, equivalent to 3-5 times of the common cellphone battery .
2.prest the test button to show the remain capacity.
3.Charging with digital products in any case
4.Rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery, up to 500 circles, 500 circles later,the power can still remain 80%.
5.USB port, both input and output voltage are 5V.
6.Variousconnectors , compatible with many kinds of cellphones /MP3/MP4……
7.Intellectual protection circuit: protection for overcharge, overdischarge, overload and Short circuit .

Last edited:

CanyonRunner

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2009
Southern San Joaquin, CA
The same seller on ebay also has these. (sorry, I can't link the pic)

Item number: 320387136176

It is some kind of valve stem adapter. It could be a good 901 atty adapter?? (some valve stem parts adapters fit 901 atty's). I don't know if it will work, just looks interesting.

If someone is ordering from this seller, maybe could check this out...
$1.99.

Sar

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
New York, NY
dedmon, this is so very cool! When you do the next one, would you do a step-by-step type of detailed video of the whole thing being done? I think this could be the first mod that I would attempt to do myself and it could even introduce others to mods.

BTW, the atomizer connector that you used, was it from a USB passthrough? Could one use that part from old battery instead? If yes, how do you remove it from the battery?

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
dedmon, this is so very cool! When you do the next one, would you do a step-by-step type of detailed video of the whole thing being done? I think this could be the first mod that I would attempt to do myself and it could even introduce others to mods.

BTW, the atomizer connector that you used, was it from a USB passthrough? Could one use that part from old battery instead? If yes, how do you remove it from the battery?
Thanks, I don't mind doing a step by step. But, honestly, because it's modding a device that could be potentially harmful. I'm not so confident in taking responsibility of conducting a tutorial.

The atomizer connector was from a 901 battery. Although it was in working condition when I took it apart. I didn't mind taking it apart since I have multiple batteries of 4 different ecigs.

To take it a part, I use a heat gun, (heat guns are much like a blow dryer, except it blows air hot enough to cause 1st degree burns on a moments contact with the center flow of the hot air 700-1200 degrees)

You can use a lighter to heat the end of the case where the connector is, becareful not to heat the connector itself. Now, you can either screw this into a dead atomizer and tug and pull like crazy, or you can screw it into the battery charger and tug and pull like crazy. It's easier to use a charger, but you have to be prepared that it may be destroyed using the charger in this fashion.

You have to do this quite a few times, before you finally get it out, so get a cold beer ready and take some time to relax afterwards.

Back to using the heat gun method. Again, it gets hotter than an oven can get, so if you use this method, you have to hold it over the case briefly and wear oven mits or protection.

I use this method, because I don't like the soot of a lighter, nor do I like the hairdryer heating method, (takes forever)

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
UPDATE: Should you choose to try this mod. Don't bother with using the built in tact switch. The button no longer works now, (I knew this would happen, tact switches suck) So now, I am not comfortable using the device since I can no longer see how much juice is left in the battery, and to confirm that complete shut off of power to the atty will proceed once the protection kicks in. I have been vaping with this like crazy for over 24 hours and I had one light left to go before it was dead!

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
UPDATE: Should you choose to try this mod. Don't bother with using the built in tact switch. The button no longer works now, (I knew this would happen, tact switches suck) So now, I am not comfortable using the device since I can no longer see how much juice is left in the battery, and to confirm that complete shut off of power to the atty will proceed once the protection kicks in. I have been vaping with this like crazy for over 24 hours and I had one light left to go before it was dead!

So with the next one, add a vape button. This leaves all the original buttons, LEDs etc 'as was'. So you can be confident to do a step-by-step :)

You did say you have 4 of those units ;)

Or to be super-safe, show the replacing of the existing battery with a normal 14500.

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
So with the next one, add a vape button. This leaves all the original buttons, LEDs etc 'as was'. So you can be confident to do a step-by-step :)

You did say you have 4 of those units ;)

Or to be super-safe, show the replacing of the existing battery with a normal 14500.
Yep, already did a swap right after typing that. Added a dedicated button and commencing with the battery drainage. This time I'm going to charge something and vape with it at the same time to drain this a fast as possible! No more vaping 24mg constantly, I'm seeing pink elephants!

Already ordered a couple of the PCB 18650 batteries. So hopefully they'll come in a week or so.

Might I add, the wrapping of the battery in the new battery pack is lime green, a little weird, but still no pcb.

Last edited:

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Yep, already did a swap right after typing that. Added a dedicated button and commencing with the battery drainage. This time I'm going to charge something and vape with it at the same time to drain this a fast as possible! No more vaping 24mg constantly, I'm seeing pink elephants!

Already ordered a couple of the PCB 18650 batteries. So hopefully they'll come in a week or so.

Might I add, the wrapping of the battery in the new battery pack is lime green, a little wierd, but still no pcb.

Oops, I meant 18650 battery of course not the 14500.

There seems to be a dearth of good quality (wide, small movement, positive contact, easy push, stylish and lasting) push switches out there.

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
Oops, I meant 18650 battery of course not the 14500.

There seems to be a dearth of good quality (wide, small movement, positive contact, easy push, stylish and lasting) push switches out there.
I can't seem to find any.

Also purchased a new multimeter. I can't get an accurate reading of amperage from the battery, or it just doesn't make sense. The highest it got was 16.7 then sparks flew out from the positive side and the battery was hot. Needless to say, I took the case outside and waited for it to detonate. It cooled and nothing happend. I then decided to put it back together and try it from the connector, case got hot, so I quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread