The Highping Cart Mod (as simple as it gets)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knifemaker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2010
Central Texas
I've been using using this mod for apx. 5 months now. The only change is I came across a good supply of blue foam, and decided to try the same thing with it. I cut it is the shape of the letter "t". with the top of the "T" toward the atty. WOOHOO!!! Fantastic! It took a couple of attempts to get it right. Leaking was the problem at first.

I just make the top of the "T" a little thicker and it has worked for months.

Fast forward. Mike at Mike and Carols E-bay shop and Mike USAcom. sent me the new HUGE atty. and flat tip cart's to try on the EGO. They must be low OHM. Huge clouds of vapor, and really enhanced flavor. Actual lung hit. Not just throat hit. ( I've been missing that since quitting Analogues)

Mike

trailless

May 25, 2010
Tennessee
I've been trying this cart mod since I hate having to top off every 20 or so puffs. The one problem I'm having is leaking. It usually happens when I leave it alone for a bit. No leaking when taking puffs but leaking when left a lone for around 20-30 min. I've tried to make the filler much longer, 1/2 inch, but still leaks. I've resorted to having to cut a small piece of tape and put it on the bottom of the cart... This seems to keep the juice from leaking AS MUCH.

BTW i have a riva with a cone so I don't actually notice the juice leaking until I take it off.

kj4lxw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2010
Pinellas, FL
After I first posted, I started using just the filler and it has been working great since.
Just follow instructions and have a little patience and you will find the sweet spot. I even went to wallmart and got a bag of polyfill.

Couple things I found. Viscocity of the juice is a factor, but this mod is so easy I can set up a cart dedicated to a specific juice. I use my SAK to etch on the cart so I know which juice to use in it.
Sometimes just after refilling I will be sure to carry my 510 "cart side down", usually gives me less "gurgling" when I hit it.

Mod makes the juice last a lot longer than you would expect. Also got those cartos I mentioned and they are not really doing it for me, going back to carts and using this method for refilling. Works for me as my vaping is probably a lot less than others and I refill maybe 2 times a day, 3 at most, usually 8-10 drops that average out to .20 ml.

Lyndagayle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Arkansas
I've been using this mod for 3 months now and have it down to an art of getting it adjusted for every liquid. Sometimes I have to pull the plug and readjust if I'm trying a new liquid. Other than that, I can vape a cart down to the last drop....no waste. It just doesn't get any cheaper. Instead of rinsing, I just pull the plug and stick in a new one when it starts tasting a little "spent" or if I want to change flavors.

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
Ok...total noob question here...I've been vaping for a while, but just got an ego and discovered this community. I can't BELIEVE how much more satisfying it is with a decent PV! Interested in this, but need to double check a few things...

First off...we're talking about doing this with Cartridges, or cartos, here? lol I can't figure it out...photo looks to me like an XL ego carto, but then people are talking about carts and separate attys, so I'm not sure. Second...will this work with my standard ego cartridges (that came with the kit...i don't even know what to call em!). And is it possible to do this with a 510 soft top boge carto or an xl ego carto? Assuming ya'll are talking about regular old cartridges, to be used with separate atty, then how often do you replace/clean the filler in em? Thanks so much and i appreciate your time and the suggestion.

Cajun83

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2010
Marrero, Louisiana
Wow... checked out this mod and found a fool proof way to do it using the poly filler in the stock carts. Take the filler out, cut off 1/3 and put the small piece on the side. Now, take the 2/3 length piece and fold it in half length wise. Fill your cart 1/4" from the top, insert folded filler with the fold down (Fold into the cart, loose ends towards the atty). Push the cart onto the atty to get the filler set, pull the cart off and top off with a couple drops to the filler if the filler isn't already soaked. Even though it seems really dense, it will still wick well because of the extra liquid in the bottom of the cart. I left my eGo sitting cart up (with a filled cart) last night when I fell asleep and when I woke up this morning the atty wasn't flooded, no leaks and the cart was still full. Winner winner, chicken dinner and you can still vape that sucker DRY.

If you aren't getting enough liquid down to the atty, take it out, unfold it, trim a bit off of one side, fold it and stick it back in. Eventually you will get the perfect balance.

Sweet mod, just my little take on it.

Last edited:

sessiondrummer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jan 22, 2011
    USA
    I had tried this on my new eGO due to tiring of the burning taste of the full, stock media, and it only leaked when I made the plug too short. Read all the posts about the PTB mod, tried that, and it did nothing BUT leak (for me, using extra large eGO carts), and came back to this mod. As others have mentioned it can vary due to your juice (thickness ??), and I have increased the plug size to still under 1/2 the original, and had no issues.

Smokin'Sandy

ECF Veteran
    Apr 28, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK/USA
    OMG, will this get rid of the horrible taste that always seems to happen? That taste put me off ecigs for 2 years. I finally am trying again and the same taste is happening. I thought it had something to do with the juice and the flavors I'm using. I even posted a thread in the DIY liquid area about it. I'm going to try this. Thanks!

I guess it's the drying out, or not getting enough liquid on the atomizer that makes it taste bad then?

I have tried this mod and like very much but have one suggestion. Once u get the plug just so so the way u like it u wind up pulling it out to refill then having to try putting the small plug bak in and if like me u use polyfill its nearly impossible, i work it like a string fold in half push it in and cut flush, well when u pull it bak out to fill it falls apart. I think i may try a small hypo syringe and slide it thru down one side and fill with the plug still in place. And with a cap over the small needle u can take 2-3 mls with u and refill in a flash keeping the perfect plug u worked so hard to make intact until u have a proper place to remake it. After of course wearing the s... out of it. Also gives me a way to use that huge a.. bag of polyfill i bought then put in the closet when i decided cartos were better since i drive a tractor trailer rig u can see i need to b able to go longer times with out having to refill. I'll let u know how the needle works if I don't get arrested for suspicion of something else.

x-smok3

ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2011
    Tennessee
    I see this is a couple of years old but wanted to comment anyway. I was looking at the smart carts online and saw a review that mentioned this mod. I tried it and have to say it is really a nice solution. Way to go Highping, this was very helpful. The convenience of a cart with the flavor and vapor of dripping, Thanks for the post!!

Taegost

ECF Veteran
    Jul 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay, Fl
    I've tried a bunch of different mods, and so far, this one has worked the best and is by far the easiest one to try. It cured the problems I had: Nasty burnt taste, inability to vape constantly because it dried out the filler, and consistent hits.
    I just got a bunch of new carts with a kit I bought, cut the filler in half, and now I can start putting plugs back in all the carts I removed the filler from and threw out thinking I'd never use again :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread