RDA The Marquis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chickentender

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2014
Seattle
I got the tobeco clone....

Beautifull!!! So impressed with flavor. I have a lemon bar from a local b&m that mixes juice at the shop, there own juice. It's very lemony out of my clt, but out of the marquis, it tastes like butter cake with a hint of lemon. Wouldn't even think it is the same juice!

My top cap does come off kinda easy, but isn't that the point? Nothing is ever perfect. If we had packs of smokes we would be complaining about the box getting squished when it gets sat on. "But it's a hard box why does it squish?" "It's a easy remove top, why does it come off in my pocket when I move around?" Lol.

I have no complaints whatsoever. Will make sure it's in a pocket I can find the tip in if it comes out.

Tried a chimney, couldn't get wicks to re wet fast enough, kept getting burnt flavor. Will have to watch tutorials on that one. For now, dual 26 10 wraps, vertical. AMAZING!!!!

True true.... Only problem is lint and other crap from my pocket falling into the juice well when the cap comes off, and the juicey cap getting same sort of stuff stuck to the bottom. It's definitely messier than a crushed pack of smokes. (Though I didn't deal with that for a lonnnnnnng time as I rolled for the last many years that i was on analogs). I've just resigned myself to removing the tip when I pocket it. Not a big deal, just would be perfect for me if I could secure it.

(actually had a new idea - I think I'll cut the end off of a cheap delrin drip tip and fill the rest in with silicone to make myself a tiny little 510 "pocket cap") :) :) Problem solved.

Last edited:

Pocha

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
This is the only thing that annoys me about this RDA, I had to switch the o-ring to get it to seat properly. The first one that it came with was annoying to get seated flush. The new o-ring I put in there makes it much easier to put back in but it still comes loose too easily.

May I ask what size o-ring you used? I'm having the same problem with my Tobeco..the top cap takes A LOT of fiddling to seat properly/flush. Thanks in advance!

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
My Marquis is also a Tobeco clone. When it came, the o-rings that were installed were so tight I could barely get the top cap off. Once I did, I replaced the ones on the deck with the ones that were included in the box. Its a snug fit, but doesn't move or leak. The drip tip section on the other hand, once I replaced that o-ring with the supplied one, It wouldn't seat correctly. The o-ring was a little loose and would prevent the tip from actually seating correctly. I solved that problem by putting on an o-ring from my grab bag that happened to be from an eleaf Lemo. It fits great now but is a little loose if i knock it in my pocket. I'd rather have it a little lose but fit than too tight to fit correctly.

snow blind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
PA
Setup with upper bridge on both of Marquis and Raptor.
On the Marquis it's the best setup setup, on the Raptor the bridge is not required.
Flavours are great on both of us but the Marquis is really the best in terms of ergonomy and usage.

Oh man that's a TON of cotton in there for that u-wick "bridge" build. I personally can't stand u/bridge wick set ups as much of the vapor comes off the coil and back into the wick as it makes it's way up top to the drip tip... essentially it's like drinking a good IPA that's been passed through a Brita filter.

Just me experience... but if it works for you that's all that matters!

DonnyX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
Spotswood, New Jersey, United States
The Marquis on the Atermon Mod from Atmistique.
02f9617fbd97f5426bf8bd6c04458a02.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Ugh, I can't seem to get the flavor out of this atty. I had some bad tastes initially on a .25 dual vert build with 24 gauge wire, about 5 or 6 wraps, stripped it bare, soaked everything in soapy water, rubbed and rinsed, and put on a .4 dual vert build with 26 gauge wire, six wraps around one of the smaller building posts. I had the upper vertical tails standing up right, then pulled them out a bit and folded them behind the coil (opposite the air flow), marginally better but not much. Going through a ton of my favorite juice to try to nail this one down. I'm wicking with rayon on a mech mod, any one have any pointers?

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
Ugh, I can't seem to get the flavor out of this atty. I had some bad tastes initially on a .25 dual vert build with 24 gauge wire, about 5 or 6 wraps, stripped it bare, soaked everything in soapy water, rubbed and rinsed, and put on a .4 dual vert build with 26 gauge wire, six wraps around one of the smaller building posts. I had the upper vertical tails standing up right, then pulled them out a bit and folded them behind the coil (opposite the air flow), marginally better but not much. Going through a ton of my favorite juice to try to nail this one down. I'm wicking with rayon on a mech mod, any one have any pointers?

Mines good with the wicks snug in the coil and making sure the wicks are touching the bottom of the deck.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA

I tried probably 5 different builds with rayon before I found the easiest method (for me) to get the right density. I built the coils, installed them, tweaked them, then took them off and pulled the rayon through to the consistency I normally run. then trimmed the top flush and left a little on the bottom for the drip well. Reinstalled and it's been running great!

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
Still not going all that great. Had a decent dual 26 gauge set up, but it was not quite warm enough. I stripped everything took the center pin out cleaned every and now it spins when tightened. Also the postive screw with the lip doesn't sit tight in the post hole so I can't even use it to trap wire. I worked around it with a knurled screw I had but it is just not coming together for me. Gonna try another .3 vertical build with 24 gauge wire tonight. I also tried the chimney set up but couldn't figure out the wicking. Otherwise it's back to the veritas for my flavor needs.

snow blind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
PA
Still not going all that great. Had a decent dual 26 gauge set up, but it was not quite warm enough. I stripped everything took the center pin out cleaned every and now it spins when tightened. Also the postive screw with the lip doesn't sit tight in the post hole so I can't even use it to trap wire. I worked around it with a knurled screw I had but it is just not coming together for me. Gonna try another .3 vertical build with 24 gauge wire tonight. I also tried the chimney set up but couldn't figure out the wicking. Otherwise it's back to the veritas for my flavor needs.

That's exactly what i'm using now... .3 24 gauge over the 3mm mandrel on an iStick 50w too. It MUST be cranked up to 48-50w to pretty much function... it's such a slow ramp up and the iStick can barely handle it. It's cake on my Sig 150w and the like but i'll be going back to 26g.

Wicking vertical coils is super easy. Take a strip of cotton cut to the appropriate size feed into the coil, push/pull through with a piece of Kanthal or pin etc... make sure it JUST touches the base/little indents for the mandrels... you want no bends, no bunching up at the deck. Then cut your wicks right at or above the deck and fluff so it's sitting just above the coil. Super simple and wicks like a champ. You don't want any of those "u-wicks" that utilize one piece of cotton for both coils. Way too many vapor quality and uneven wicking issues.

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
That's exactly what i'm using now... .3 24 gauge over the 3mm mandrel on an iStick 50w too. It MUST be cranked up to 48-50w to pretty much function... it's such a slow ramp up and the iStick can barely handle it. It's cake on my Sig 150w and the like but i'll be going back to 26g.

Wicking vertical coils is super easy. Take a strip of cotton cut to the appropriate size feed into the coil, push/pull through with a piece of Kanthal or pin etc... make sure it JUST touches the base/little indents for the mandrels... you want no bends, no bunching up at the deck. Then cut your wicks right at or above the deck and fluff so it's sitting just above the coil. Super simple and wicks like a champ. You don't want any of those "u-wicks" that utilize one piece of cotton for both coils. Way too many vapor quality and uneven wicking issues.

Well I tried again last night...first things first I got one of this infinite coil jigs to make wrapping the reverse coil a bit easier. The 24 gauge dual was a successful build and very good but to hot for the stock drip tip. Since I still don't have the proper delrin/acrylic tips yet I stripped it again and did a 5 wrap 26 gauge dual around a 3mm jig. It was a little fiddly positioning everything but this is the first build I have glowing evenly and everything looks parallel. Thanks for the tip about the vertical wicking. I think that's why j have been getting dry hits with plenty of juice still in the wick..the bottom tail might be a bit cramped. I usually makepinch down one of the tails, feed it through and try and hook it or pull it through and then cut. My cut may be to long on the bottom because it is bent. I will adjust and try it again. I like the build but can't wait to get some heat tolerant tips. Missing my hot vape.

I can't imagine what I'm doing wrong. The first build I did was 6 wraps with 24g A1 Kanthal in dual coil mode and the first hit was AMAZING. I was using my favorite juice (Mister-E's Dubtronica) and the flavor was SO intense and the throat hit was overwhelming on only 6mg nic. Normally I use 12mg with my Plume Veil and Vertex V2, but since I heard this hits like a beast with strong flavor/th I bought a bottle of 6mg nic. The first hit had me buzzing, I had to put the RDA down after 3 hits! 6mg on the Marquis killed 12mg on every other RDA I've tried.

Then, the problems started. After about 5 hits the flavor started to get muted, and I got a really bad burnt taste. Not quite a dry hit (that came later on) but a very burnt juice flavor. The flavor I knew and loved about my favorite juice totally changed. I began to think my juice went bad, but I tried another flavor and the same thing, the flavors I loved were totally gone/burnt and certain flavors that were underwhelming came out like a freight train.

Then, the cotton started to burn very badly, even though there was still a lot of juice in the well or on certain parts of the cotton. I know this sounds like overwicking, but I get the same thing when using much less wick. I then took both coils out (two 6 wrapped 24g Kanthal w/ 3mm diameter) which came out to .25Ohms. I then made a single 8 wrap 24g Kanthal coil w/ 2.5mm coil which came out to be .8Ohms and I'm having the same problem.

What am I doing wrong? I'm unwrapping the organic cotton ball and petting out all of the bumps etc. and make a wick that is approximately 2x the diameter of the coil, after fluffing out I carefully twist one end of the coil, push it through the coil and grab it with tweezers, pull it through (which is kind of difficult and bunches the wick up a little bit) and then once the wick is all the way through I cut off the bottom end of the wick where it was bunched up from twisting/pulling. That leaves me with a nice fluffy piece on the deck and I cut the wick about 1-2mm above the top of the coil.

After all of that work, I still get burnt juice and then eventually burnt cotton. Please help if you can.

EDIT-
I'm using a Stingray X w/ an LG HE4 18650 battery and I am using a Marquis Clone from Fasttech (SKU 2044802)

Last edited:

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
I can't imagine what I'm doing wrong. The first build I did was 6 wraps with 24g A1 Kanthal in dual coil mode and the first hit was AMAZING. I was using my favorite juice (Mister-E's Dubtronica) and the flavor was SO intense and the throat hit was overwhelming on only 6mg nic. Normally I use 12mg with my Plume Veil and Vertex V2, but since I heard this hits like a beast with strong flavor/th I bought a bottle of 6mg nic. The first hit had me buzzing, I had to put the RDA down after 3 hits! 6mg on the Marquis killed 12mg on every other RDA I've tried.

Then, the problems started. After about 5 hits the flavor started to get muted, and I got a really bad burnt taste. Not quite a dry hit (that came later on) but a very burnt juice flavor. The flavor I knew and loved about my favorite juice totally changed. I began to think my juice went bad, but I tried another flavor and the same thing, the flavors I loved were totally gone/burnt and certain flavors that were underwhelming came out like a freight train.

Then, the cotton started to burn very badly, even though there was still a lot of juice in the well or on certain parts of the cotton. I know this sounds like overwicking, but I get the same thing when using much less wick. I then took both coils out (two 6 wrapped 24g Kanthal w/ 3mm diameter) which came out to .25Ohms. I then made a single 8 wrap 24g Kanthal coil w/ 2.5mm coil which came out to be .8Ohms and I'm having the same problem.

What am I doing wrong? I'm unwrapping the organic cotton ball and petting out all of the bumps etc. and make a wick that is approximately 2x the diameter of the coil, after fluffing out I carefully twist one end of the coil, push it through the coil and grab it with tweezers, pull it through (which is kind of difficult and bunches the wick up a little bit) and then once the wick is all the way through I cut off the bottom end of the wick where it was bunched up from twisting/pulling. That leaves me with a nice fluffy piece on the deck and I cut the wick about 1-2mm above the top of the coil.

After all of that work, I still get burnt juice and then eventually burnt cotton. Please help if you can.

EDIT-
I'm using a Stingray X w/ an LG HE4 18650 battery and I am using a Marquis Clone from Fasttech (SKU 2044802)

Mine currently has a 26g 3mm 6w dual 0.5Ω.
The coils are filled with KGD even a bulge at the bottom and I cut them about 4mm above the coils.
Its running fine.
Did you check the coils were glowing evenly ?

JohnnyBlue

Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
So Cali

EDIT-

Sounds like your wick isn't wicking the juice properly and you also may possibly have some hot spots. I'm running dual coils at .5 ohms with Japanese cotton and the only time I've gotten a dry hit was when I was chain vaping and forgot to drip. When I checked under the hood, the well and wick was bone dry and the cotton was burnt as hell lol.

I would pull out the cotton and check to see if the coils are heating up evenly and without hot spots. Also, I would try ordering some Japanese cotton, I heard it wicks better than regular cotton balls. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread