Not open for further replies.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
The Precise 18650 (P18)

P18.JPG

Pictured with a LR 801 "shorty" atomiser and adapter.

Preface
This unit was pre-ordered from the day it's release was announced. It is an all "mechanical" Stainless Steel device, capable of both 3.7 and High Voltage (7.2V and 8.4V). The announcement was most welcome by this Canuck. The announcement came shortly after Judge Leon's ruling was stayed on 31 Mar 2010, and once again FDAs ban was in full effect as prior to the ruling.

I have no intention of ever returning to smoking and seeing the writing on the wall from the beginning have armed myself with sustainability over "bling". Whether folks agree with my rationale or not is rather a moot point. No one in Canada makes mods with the exception of Nuck's Fistpack, which is a great variable voltage "electronic" device. When David announced the manufacturing of an all mechanical Stainless Steel device, I was all over it like a dirty shirt. I don't believe in funding prototyping as such, but based on the 10440 reviews and David's skills as a machinist I jumped on the band wagon and the wait began.

The review
The 18650 Precise affectionately know as the P18 cost's $159 + shipping. (we will discuss later);

• the unit was well packaged in a velvet pouch;
  • the unit was then wrapped in bubble wrap;
  • the unit came in a flat rate shipping container;
  • the box contained a spare o-ring and spare switch spacers; and
  • the box contained a set of instructions.
First Impressions
Wow, is this thing small. Although it is acclaimed as the smallest 18650 battery mod available, I had no idea it would be this tiny. It is roughly the same size as my Chameleon. The difference, it has an 18650 under the hood.

P18%20lay.JPG

Side by side comparison. The Chameleon is sporting a full fledge 801 atomiser,
whilst the P18 sports a "shorty" 801.

P18%20stand.JPG

Side by side comarison. Yes the Precise can stands on end without firing the atomiser.

The Precise wears its name extremely well. The machining is precise and flawless. The finish is ultra smooth and repeals fingerprints like the plague. Upon receipt the connections were barely visible. We can barely see the top cap connection in the picture which is not felt with a fingernail and not present at 3.7V using an 18650 but exist at 6V. Considering the plethora of batteries the unit can use.

Performance
It vapes like a 3.7 and 6V device. Folks that have followed what can be deemed as controversial posts, should know me better by now. All things being equal:

• same battery;
  • same atomiser; and
  • same liquid.
A 3.7 volt device vapes like a 3.7 volt device, and a 6 volt device, vapes like a 6 volt device - when all things are equal. So I am not here to snow no one. It vapes like a 3.7V and a 6-7V device. So why did I buy it you might ask? Ahhh...... Let me explain.

Being a former machinist I am impressed with the quality of the unit. Having done my research prior to pulling the trigger, I wasn't really surprised with the results. The Precise bares its name well and the name for the entire line well chosen. The precision manufacturing, is second to none. Yes I said second to none. The clearances are absolutely astounding in their finesse. There is absolutely no wiggle of any of the components. I will not go into direct specifications of the unit, all I can say is that SuperT has made an astounding product, that many can only revel in.

The threads are positively engaging and ultra smooth, the latter is without any lubrication. The unit comes with a native 510 connection, and ships with either an 801 or 901/510 adapter of your choice. The atomiser connection is recessed into the top cap. I was a little apprehensive wrt the recess lacking the normal slits that we are accustomed to on most mods and adapters. The draw on a regular atty is similar to the draw from an eGo fitted with cone. Many know I am a fan of the eGo so all I can say is it performs just like the eGo, but at 3.7V.

I have tried all adapters in my possession and all worked flawlessly. I have installed all my 510 atomisers on the unit, and all engaged positively without restrictions. The same goes with both the SLB and Boge 510 cartomisers.

Conclusion

What does this device do that another device don't? Absolutely nothing! Ah, but it doesn't stop there. The unit is owner serviceable. The switch requires approx 100gr to engage (speculation) as it is as easy as my MKI Screwdriver which is known to have a 100gr button - they are near identical. The throw on the button is adjustable by adding or removing spacers. It comes from the factory without, and I have found nothing wrong with this set up. The machining is second to none. It weights in at a mere 37gr more than my Chameleon. It repels fingerprint, being Stainless Steel the finish is extremely durable and will wear well.

There was a lot of rumours that circulated wrt the conductivity of Stainless over Aluminium, rest assured, don't believe everything folks say and interpret what is written for what it is worth. I conducted extensive testing on the unit. I will be the second one to admit (Dave was first) that they are insignificant. I challenge anyone to be able to detect the difference while vaping. They are indeed negligible and insignificant. I will not release my findings, with the exception that the claims are indeed accurate, but insignificant, more along the line of someone who has an axe to grind more than anything else.

I will post a follow up in a month or so, after I have put the P18 through its paces. The wait for this unit was long, 3 months but well worth it. I have yet to receive anything from the US this expeditiously and shipping was so cheap. 3.5 days to my door from the shop, and that was with a stop at customs.

My unit looks like every other unit manufactured by SuperT. If you are looking for a more personalized unit, then SuperT is not the place to be shopping ;) However, if you are indeed looking for a unit that will withstand the test of time, and you are slightly mechanically inclined, then I highly recommend the Precise line. The unit has only 7 parts, and all can be fixed or acquired locally. The latter is also insignificant as SuperT products come with a lifetime warranty.

Last edited:

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
That may just be the most thorough review in history. Outstanding job, Switched.

Just one question --

Does it vape any better than the Chameleon? :p

LOL Ritchie yuz a funny guy. No but just as good. It will outlast the Chameleon wrt engine life by at least 2-1 ;) on long trips which a I have a 15hr one coming up.

Last edited:

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Oh man, oh man, the day has come! Nice review Switched. I'm happy that it's what you expected it to be.

Is there much or any rattling with AW LiFePO4 16340 batteries in the P18 since they are much thinner than the AW 18650 batt?
To be honest, it is more than I expected. Pics do not do it justice.

Yes they do! We need to remember the device is a 3.7V mod that accepts an 18650 batt, and like all devices capable of accepting an 18650, a certain amount of rattle will occur using an 16mm batt in a tube capable of handing an 18mm batt. A thin cardboard tube the thickness of a pack of smoke should cure that problem though. Anyone got an old pack of smokes :lol: ... it sort of reminds me of the first BBQ of the season this year, where I didn't have a lighter to light the charcoal. I had to run down the store and get me a BBQ lighter. It was never a problem when I smoked the stinkies :lol: I think we need a mod capable of fire :D without venting that is...

Aceyboogie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2010
Sincity and the City of Angels
Thanks Acey you will be pleased. Have you been waiting long?

Not as long as you waited for your P18..lol!! Your attention to detail in the review just made it clear to me that I definitely made the right decision in making this purchase. The real kicker is when Dave gave the "Lifetime Warranty" stamp of approval on all the stainless precises. That's something that has NEVER happened before in this industry. I've owned the "other" mechanical PV and don't get me wrong, it was a great device, but I hated the constant cleaning and maintenance that had to be done in order for it to work properly. It really was a PIA to sandpaper this contact point and noalox the threads almost on a daily basis for it to function.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Hey Switched, nice review!

You said 'sustainability over "bling"'... but really the the precise craftsmanship, polished fit and finish, and elegant mechanical simplicity... really do add up to "bling" to my eye :)

So you've got prohibition ready hardware, do you have a strategy for the software? Just curious.
Thanks VM, I guess you do have a point and I have to agree with you.

I believe there will always be a way to acquire the software. Unlike some, I have not chosen this lifestyle over smoking but rather as a cessation device, and as we all know it works. I plan on weaning myself off nicotine in the next couple of years. I have been successful to date reducing my nicotine intake. Should the stay be reversed we will all be ahead of the game. To be honest, I do not want to see it legalised. I would much rather it be left alone the way it was prior to the stay, than have BT or BP involved in any way shape or form. The knowledge I have learned here has ensured I will always be able to vape in the future, providing we have the necessary component - the atomiser, which I do :)

dk2

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2010
cheers
Great review makes me jealous that you ordered and therefore received yours before I've received mine.

People make a big deal about not being able to get atomiser's if there is a ban however for me a carto user it's really not a big deal to make a carto and no super skills are involved in rebuilding cartos or refilling the filler.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Not as long as you waited for your P18..lol!! Your attention to detail in the review just made it clear to me that I definitely made the right decision in making this purchase.
My intention is to always provide reviews without "fluff" I say it the way it is. We are starting to see more of these. I don't believe I invented them, but some of the reviews that have been coming out of late are finally touching on some negatives, which IMHO provides the reader some sort of objectivity in which to make an informed decision.

One of the negatives I had about reviews is that there was no disconcerting factors involved. I've seen such comments as:

• Wow it is awesome, I never had a device that produced such a great throat hit;
  • Awesome vapour production; or
  • Of late, I saw one the device provides awesome flavour, unlike any other I have tried.
Those observations do nothing in promoting a PV, and IMHO imaginative qualifiers at best. A 3.7V device is a 3.7V device. It is the attributes that make device A better than device B. If everyone made a Pros and Cons list and based their decision on the honest outcome of such a list over popularity, I honestly believe folks would be much happier. Not only would they be happier, but IMHO would drive the rest of the industry towards improving their products, and everyone would win. A person should not have to go to Home Depot or Lowes to make their brand new PVs work, not at the price we are paying for them.

The real kicker is when Dave gave the "Lifetime Warranty" stamp of approval on all the stainless precises. That's something that has NEVER happened before in this industry.
That was never a qualifying factor for me. AAMOF at the time I pulled the trigger, it didn't exist, it came out afterwards. His product does not need a lifetime warranty, but it does speak volume the vendors belief wrt the quality of the build. Others have started offering a lifetime warranty as well, but Dave was indeed the first.

No, what was the qualifying factor for me was his workmanship and the upcoming possible ban that lead me to get in on it first rather, than avoid the possibility of not getting one later. This also happens with many PVs after receiving positive reviews. Folks flock towards them creating back orders and long waiting periods.

I've owned the "other" mechanical PV and don't get me wrong, it was a great device, but I hated the constant cleaning and maintenance that had to be done in order for it to work properly. It really was a PIA to sandpaper this contact point and noalox the threads almost on a daily basis for it to function.
I am sorry to hear about that but in all fairness, all PVs require a certain amount of care and maintenance to keep them top performers, just some more than others.

Not trying to knock one product or another but, one product that is receiving a lot of negatives is the "Nickel Plating" on the Omega. The Omega is classy and shiny. It is an all mechanical device as well. Folks are being turned off with how quick it tarnishes. Several Omegas wound up in the classifieds within days of their purchase for that exact reason. However, I believe that if the plating is sufficient enough, it should develop a beautiful patina over time, that could be quite "sexy" to some.

In closing, I will always discuss the pros and cons about devices or accessories in my reviews. Of course these will not be seen during initial impressions but during a follow up review after the device has been put through its paces. IMHO it is not how a device performs fresh out of the gate that counts, it is how it performs in the stretch :D

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Great review makes me jealous that you ordered and therefore received yours before I've received mine.

People make a big deal about not being able to get atomiser's if there is a ban however for me a carto user it's really not a big deal to make a carto and no super skills are involved in rebuilding cartos or refilling the filler.
I hear ya DK. I have acquired sufficient knowledge here to build my own PVs, which I have. From a simple battery box, to regulated normal and wet high drain batt boxes. I have also gained sufficient knowledge to build or rebuild an atomiser should the need ever arise.

I was fortunate to see the wrting on the wall from the beginning on how to achieve sustainability in the PV world. The only achilles heel to vaping is the shelf life of our liquids and the life span of atomisers.

My recommendation to all is to learn how to become self-sufficient and not solely rely on someone else to quench our addictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread