The Precise 18650 (P18) - First Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
No problem at all. It is indeed a hard thing to explain and you have done so well. I don't even think about it. I pick it up, and fire it, :D

yeah I don't even think about the bottom fire button at all either...it's just natural like you said....but that's how I hold my S6...I imagine the p18 will be the same when I get around to ordering it (and get it)

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
Thnx for the review thread Switched. I'm pretty much sold. I'm gonna sleep on it a bit, but probably get in line for one of these most luxurious of ecigs next week some time. They're just too pretty to pass up and this thread has put my mind at ease around the switch location.

Now I am sure SuperT would tell you to buy both

Actually, David, being a shrewd observer, pinged me earlier this afternoon and suggested the P16 was more my speed, my paraphrase :) I think the P16 is right for me too. My version if KISS keeps me away from multiple voltages and battery stacking, and I get ample runtime out of 16340s, and size does matter --> P16.

A little digression. The only GG that ever really appealed to me was the GGSlim, but the 10440 battery is sooo lame for a primary device, its not really an option. The other GG's lost me with their lack of sleekness. This Precise line captures the essence of what appealed to me about the slim, but with even finer quality and craftmanship, and with non-tinker-toy power supplies. Made in the USA doesn't hurt either (no offense rest of the world, but we could use a little more made in the USA over here just now).

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Thnx for the review thread Switched. I'm pretty much sold. I'm gonna sleep on it a bit, but probably get in line for one of these most luxurious of ecigs next week some time. They're just too pretty to pass up and this thread has put my mind at ease around the switch location.

Actually, David, being a shrewd observer, pinged me earlier this afternoon and suggested the P16 was more my speed, my paraphrase :) I think the P16 is right for me too. My version if KISS keeps me away from multiple voltages and battery stacking, and I get ample runtime out of 16340s, and size does matter --> P16.

A little digression. The only GG that ever really appealed to me was the GGSlim, but the 10440 battery is sooo lame for a primary device, its not really an option. The other GG's lost me with their lack of sleekness. This Precise line captures the essence of what appealed to me about the slim, but with even finer quality and craftmanship, and with non-tinker-toy power supplies. Made in the USA doesn't hurt either (no offense rest of the world, but we could use a little more made in the USA over here just now).
VM,

Glad I was of help, regardless of which one you pull the trigger on you will be pleased I am sure.

grabeard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Just outside my comfort zone.
Thanks VM, I guess you do have a point and I have to agree with you.

I believe there will always be a way to acquire the software. Unlike some, I have not chosen this lifestyle over smoking but rather as a cessation device, and as we all know it works. I plan on weaning myself off nicotine in the next couple of years. I have been successful to date reducing my nicotine intake. Should the stay be reversed we will all be ahead of the game. To be honest, I do not want to see it legalised. I would much rather it be left alone the way it was prior to the stay, than have BT or BP involved in any way shape or form. The knowledge I have learned here has ensured I will always be able to vape in the future, providing we have the necessary component - the atomiser, which I do :)
Hay Switched, where did you get the shorty 801's?

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
Switched,

I have a question about the tension of the spring in relation to the combined weight of the P18 with the AW18650 battery. You mentioned that the unit won't fire when you stand it up vertically but I don't understand exactly why. Is the tension of the spring greater than the weight of the unit with the battery in it or do the horns stop the button from being pushed in?

What I really want to visualize is if the P18 can be resting on my pinky while in my hand in a vertical position without firing or do I have to hold it with other fingers and apply my pinky to the button when I want to use the unit. Thanks.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I'm curious, about how long is the button travel before/after the addition of the spacer? Did you fit a magnetic battery spacer in there?
Approximately 2 mm. No magnetic spacers in there. The unit comes with several spare brass spacers that are fitted to extend the negative battery contact of the button. Ea spacer is approximately 1mm.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Switched,

I have a question about the tension of the spring in relation to the combined weight of the P18 with the AW18650 battery. You mentioned that the unit won't fire when you stand it up vertically but I don't understand exactly why.
The horns prevent the unit from firing, unless you have too many spacers fitted on the button, effectively shortening the travel of the button. I had placed an extra spacer in the unit for a shortened travel, it worked well with LifePO4 batts, but not with my Tenergys (battery design). In my set up, the travel is a mere 2mm. 1mm of travel is inside the horns, the other is outside the horns. Placing a 1mm spacer will make contact with the batteries when standing on end (when using the Tenergys).

Is the tension of the spring greater than the weight of the unit with the battery in it or do the horns stop the button from being pushed in?
It is the horns that prevent further travel.

What I really want to visualize is if the P18 can be resting on my pinky while in my hand in a vertical position without firing or do I have to hold it with other fingers and apply my pinky to the button when I want to use the unit. Thanks.
In the beginning it seemed you needed a concentrated effort to activate the unit, but at approx 100gr (spring) if your pinky is resting in the throat, the weight of the unit will almost activate it by itself. Activating the switch is effortless.

The Precise is a "precision" unit, the tolerances as explained in my review are extremely titght, similar to fine "Japanese or German Machining". It comes with a spare o-ring that goes at the bottom of the battery case for use with the AW IMR 18650s. Of course because you are adding an extra o-ring, throw compensation is then adjusted with the addition of a couple of spacers added to the button throw.

My AW RCR123As will not fit the case. They leave approx a 0.20" gap between the top cap and case. I thinner o-ring on the inside will permit the use of the AWs.

The good thing is that SuperT will be stocking the batteries necessary to work with the unit on site. A thread currently exists of all the batteries that will work with the unit, this will also be contained in my follow up. The unit was designed around the AW line, which have the tightest battery specs out there as we know, more specifically the 18650 flat top and LifePo4s.

Perhaps this may seem like a lot of fiddling to some, rest assured that once the unit is set up for your battery configuration, the unit is set. Metaphorically speaking, activation of the Precise can be compared to a short stroke slap stick (shift stick) on the finer model of automobiles.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Review: Super T Manufacturing’s Precise P18 The best darn review I have seen done on any device out there. This is what a review should look like. It is a comparative review that was tastefully done. Kudos to the author, this is the type of review that allows the reader to make an informed decision wrt a purchase. No fluff, digs or fanboyisms, just straight to the point. Well done Tenburn :toast: :thumbs: :toast:

prof beard

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Stafford UK
I agree this is an excellent review. It confirms what I've always though about David and Super T - premium devices which are excellently engineered.

As a Super Six owner myself, I suspect David's main problem is that once you have one of his devices you have to REALLY want a second device to be bothered to get one - as the one you have already is SO good...

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I agree this is an excellent review. It confirms what I've always though about David and Super T - premium devices which are excellently engineered.

As a Super Six owner myself, I suspect David's main problem is that once you have one of his devices you have to REALLY want a second device to be bothered to get one - as the one you have already is SO good...
Thanks Prof. The trigger puller was the "all mechanical" not having owned previous units. They are a little pricey I am not going to deny that, but so are Ferraris. You have to own one to appreciate the fine machining, it cannot be explained or appreciated with words.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Gonna be on the look out for an 18650 device to use all the batteries I got for my chuck which I don't use anymore. This could be the one, looks nice. Thanks for the review.
If you are talking about the classifieds I doubt you will find one there, unless someone totally dislikes it or gives up vaping, it wont be found there, many folks search to no avail. You may find the odd P10 listed, but that has more to do with the battery (10440) than the unit itself. Thanks for the kind words.

uba egar320

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2009
WV
If you are talking about the classifieds I doubt you will find one there, unless someone totally dislikes it or gives up vaping, it wont be found there, many folks search to no avail. You may find the odd P10 listed, but that has more to do with the battery (10440) than the unit itself. Thanks for the kind words.

Sorry that came across wrong. I meant I will be buying a new device soon. Don't really need one, but you know how that goes. I like this mod, so will read up on it a bit more. Was also lookin at 3rd gen self juicers. Waiting is not a big deal now since I already have what I need. I just have 4 18650's laying around,and I loved the hit I got from that battery. I know it's 3.7, but it just felt like I was getting more. Could be wrong I guess.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Sorry that came across wrong. I meant I will be buying a new device soon. Don't really need one, but you know how that goes. I like this mod, so will read up on it a bit more. Was also lookin at 3rd gen self juicers. Waiting is not a big deal now since I already have what I need. I just have 4 18650's laying around,and I loved the hit I got from that battery. I know it's 3.7, but it just felt like I was getting more. Could be wrong I guess.
No you have it right. Because the 18650 and now the IMRs deliver the proper current required to fire our attys, including 1.5LRs. before the HD batts and IMRs we were stressing the batteries and very few delievered what we demanded of them. Now they even have a 14500 HD, now that is sweet.

dk2

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2010
cheers
Review: Super T Manufacturing’s Precise P18 The best darn review I have seen done on any device out there. This is what a review should look like. It is a comparative review that was tastefully done. Kudos to the author, this is the type of review that allows the reader to make an informed decision wrt a purchase. No fluff, digs or fanboyisms, just straight to the point. Well done Tenburn :toast: :thumbs: :toast:
I don't get it he reviews the P18 and prodigy and then at the end says he'd choose a ss ggts over both, bull.... review. Shape and design of the ggts is nowhere near what I want a mod to look like, then to end with that, it was a good review up until the ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread