The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

The Precise 18650 (P18) - First Impressions

Discussion in 'Commercial Ecigarette Reviews and Videos' started by Switched, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Drozd

Drozd Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NW Ohio
    yeah I don't even think about the bottom fire button at all either...it's just natural like you said....but that's how I hold my S6...I imagine the p18 will be the same when I get around to ordering it (and get it)

2. VaporMadness

VaporMadness Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    CA, USA
    Thnx for the review thread Switched. I'm pretty much sold. I'm gonna sleep on it a bit, but probably get in line for one of these most luxurious of ecigs next week some time. They're just too pretty to pass up and this thread has put my mind at ease around the switch location.

Actually, David, being a shrewd observer, pinged me earlier this afternoon and suggested the P16 was more my speed, my paraphrase :) I think the P16 is right for me too. My version if KISS keeps me away from multiple voltages and battery stacking, and I get ample runtime out of 16340s, and size does matter --> P16.

A little digression. The only GG that ever really appealed to me was the GGSlim, but the 10440 battery is sooo lame for a primary device, its not really an option. The other GG's lost me with their lack of sleekness. This Precise line captures the essence of what appealed to me about the slim, but with even finer quality and craftmanship, and with non-tinker-toy power supplies. Made in the USA doesn't hurt either (no offense rest of the world, but we could use a little more made in the USA over here just now).

3. BrockJ

BrockJ Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    I have the P16 and love it.. It's so small in the hand and pocket..
    I carried mine in my shirt pocket at work all last week...

4. Switched

Switched ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 18, 2010
    Dartmouth, NS Canada
    VM,

Glad I was of help, regardless of which one you pull the trigger on you will be pleased I am sure.

5. grabeard

grabeard Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Hay Switched, where did you get the shorty 801's?

6. Switched

Feb 18, 2010
    Dartmouth, NS Canada
  7. Switched

Feb 18, 2010
    Dartmouth, NS Canada
    Yesterday I added a spacer to the switch :):) the throw is much better and I can still stand the unit on end :D

8. VaporMadness

VaporMadness Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    CA, USA
    I'm curious, about how long is the button travel before/after the addition of the spacer? Did you fit a magnetic battery spacer in there?

9. Vaporologist

Vaporologist Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 26, 2010
    Epic Journey
    Switched,

I have a question about the tension of the spring in relation to the combined weight of the P18 with the AW18650 battery. You mentioned that the unit won't fire when you stand it up vertically but I don't understand exactly why. Is the tension of the spring greater than the weight of the unit with the battery in it or do the horns stop the button from being pushed in?

What I really want to visualize is if the P18 can be resting on my pinky while in my hand in a vertical position without firing or do I have to hold it with other fingers and apply my pinky to the button when I want to use the unit. Thanks.

10. Switched

Feb 18, 2010
    Dartmouth, NS Canada
    Approximately 2 mm. No magnetic spacers in there. The unit comes with several spare brass spacers that are fitted to extend the negative battery contact of the button. Ea spacer is approximately 1mm.

11. Switched

Feb 18, 2010
    Dartmouth, NS Canada
    The horns prevent the unit from firing, unless you have too many spacers fitted on the button, effectively shortening the travel of the button. I had placed an extra spacer in the unit for a shortened travel, it worked well with LifePO4 batts, but not with my Tenergys (battery design). In my set up, the travel is a mere 2mm. 1mm of travel is inside the horns, the other is outside the horns. Placing a 1mm spacer will make contact with the batteries when standing on end (when using the Tenergys).

It is the horns that prevent further travel.

In the beginning it seemed you needed a concentrated effort to activate the unit, but at approx 100gr (spring) if your pinky is resting in the throat, the weight of the unit will almost activate it by itself. Activating the switch is effortless.

The Precise is a "precision" unit, the tolerances as explained in my review are extremely titght, similar to fine "Japanese or German Machining". It comes with a spare o-ring that goes at the bottom of the battery case for use with the AW IMR 18650s. Of course because you are adding an extra o-ring, throw compensation is then adjusted with the addition of a couple of spacers added to the button throw.

My AW RCR123As will not fit the case. They leave approx a 0.20" gap between the top cap and case. I thinner o-ring on the inside will permit the use of the AWs.

The good thing is that SuperT will be stocking the batteries necessary to work with the unit on site. A thread currently exists of all the batteries that will work with the unit, this will also be contained in my follow up. The unit was designed around the AW line, which have the tightest battery specs out there as we know, more specifically the 18650 flat top and LifePo4s.

Perhaps this may seem like a lot of fiddling to some, rest assured that once the unit is set up for your battery configuration, the unit is set. Metaphorically speaking, activation of the Precise can be compared to a short stroke slap stick (shift stick) on the finer model of automobiles.

12. Switched

Feb 18, 2010
    Dartmouth, NS Canada
    Review: Super T Manufacturing’s Precise P18 The best darn review I have seen done on any device out there. This is what a review should look like. It is a comparative review that was tastefully done. Kudos to the author, this is the type of review that allows the reader to make an informed decision wrt a purchase. No fluff, digs or fanboyisms, just straight to the point. Well done Tenburn :toast: :thumbs: :toast:

13. Vaporologist

Vaporologist Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 26, 2010
    Epic Journey
  14. prof beard

prof beard Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 29, 2009
    Stafford UK
    I agree this is an excellent review. It confirms what I've always though about David and Super T - premium devices which are excellently engineered.

As a Super Six owner myself, I suspect David's main problem is that once you have one of his devices you have to REALLY want a second device to be bothered to get one - as the one you have already is SO good...

15. uba egar320

uba egar320 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 9, 2009
    WV
    Gonna be on the look out for an 18650 device to use all the batteries I got for my chuck which I don't use anymore. This could be the one, looks nice. Thanks for the review.

16. Switched

Feb 18, 2010
    Dartmouth, NS Canada
    Thanks Prof. The trigger puller was the "all mechanical" not having owned previous units. They are a little pricey I am not going to deny that, but so are Ferraris. You have to own one to appreciate the fine machining, it cannot be explained or appreciated with words.

17. Switched

Feb 18, 2010
    Dartmouth, NS Canada
    If you are talking about the classifieds I doubt you will find one there, unless someone totally dislikes it or gives up vaping, it wont be found there, many folks search to no avail. You may find the odd P10 listed, but that has more to do with the battery (10440) than the unit itself. Thanks for the kind words.

18. uba egar320

uba egar320 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 9, 2009
    WV
    Sorry that came across wrong. I meant I will be buying a new device soon. Don't really need one, but you know how that goes. I like this mod, so will read up on it a bit more. Was also lookin at 3rd gen self juicers. Waiting is not a big deal now since I already have what I need. I just have 4 18650's laying around,and I loved the hit I got from that battery. I know it's 3.7, but it just felt like I was getting more. Could be wrong I guess.

19. Switched

Feb 18, 2010
    Dartmouth, NS Canada
    No you have it right. Because the 18650 and now the IMRs deliver the proper current required to fire our attys, including 1.5LRs. before the HD batts and IMRs we were stressing the batteries and very few delievered what we demanded of them. Now they even have a 14500 HD, now that is sweet.

20. dk2

dk2 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 20, 2010
    cheers
    I don't get it he reviews the P18 and prodigy and then at the end says he'd choose a ss ggts over both, bull.... review. Shape and design of the ggts is nowhere near what I want a mod to look like, then to end with that, it was a good review up until the ending.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.