The Really Big RY4 Roundup (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehangdude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
@thedude, Not goina hate on you. I will gladly give you a fair price on the two juices, but first give them 10 days and try them again. If you still don't like them, shoot me a PM. I have not tried the 555 yet, but will gamble I will like it.

Everybody's tastes are different. I can't see vaping coffee (and I've tried) but some love it. And good post.

A little editing: The ten day mark is where I saw the flavors blend into what I think is awesome. All the flavors have mellowed, but it is probably still on the sweet side for many RY4 lovers. It still has a delicious woody tobacco flavor. I don't know if Quick nic's RY4 will change any further.

Another reason why I might like Quick nic's RY4 is that I am a relative noob. I have tried over 100 juices, and favor the tobaccos. I have been seeing my favorites slowly becoming too sweet for me. I am drifting away from Applewood, and more towards Joogler's Blend and Casablanca. When I started vaping, I couldn't stomach anything USA, Red, Marl, or Cowboy. Now they are just more, meh. Still can't love the candy/soft drink vapes.

Last edited:

Diablo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
SW,Virginia
I like the Ikenvape a lot as well. But since I never tried the original Dekang RY4 all I have to go by is current dekang ry4. Now with that said, if the original flavor is lost forever, then all that can be done is to imitate it. One other thing, Ry4 is evolving, you have Chinese version and US versions of it. Even if the original version was still around, US makers would have found a way to make it better. As long as it sticks to the core flavors, I believe it can still be considered RY4 in my book anyway.

thedudeabides

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2010
Boston
I like the Ikenvape a lot as well. But since I never tried the original Dekang RY4 all I have to go by is current dekang ry4. Now with that said, if the original flavor is lost forever, then all that can be done is to imitate it. One other thing, Ry4 is evolving, you have Chinese version and US versions of it. Even if the original version was still around, US makers would have found a way to make it better. As long as it sticks to the core flavors, I believe it can still be considered RY4 in my book anyway.

Point taken, but let me ask you this. What's the difference between Caramel Vanilla Tobacco and RY4?:) It seems every juice company out there is content on just slapping those three ingredients together and calling it their "take" on RY4, why not just call it what it is?

Diablo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
SW,Virginia
Point taken, but let me ask you this. What's the difference between Caramel Vanilla Tobacco and RY4?:) It seems every juice company out there is content on just slapping those three ingredients together and calling it their "take" on RY4, why not just call it what it is?

Well they could do just that and call it RY4. I think that's the purpose of this thread to weed them out and show what is good and what is just a dessert vape. I believe this thread was open ended and anybody could post a review of any Ry4's on it. If you tried a few that you liked I would love to here what you liked about it.

Myself, my tongue just isn't there as far as picking out flavors and describing them, I rely on other ppl then spend a few bucks on juices based on the way the described its flavor. Some day I hope to have my taste buds dialed in so I could review some juices I like.

thedudeabides

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2010
Boston
Well they could do just that and call it RY4. I think that's the purpose of this thread to weed them out and show what is good and what is just a dessert vape. I believe this thread was open ended and anybody could post a review of any Ry4's on it. If you tried a few that you liked I would love to here what you liked about it.

Myself, my tongue just isn't there as far as picking out flavors and describing them, I rely on other ppl then spend a few bucks on juices based on the way the described its flavor. Some day I hope to have my taste buds dialed in so I could review some juices I like.

Agreed, but regardless of how good a liquid is, it's only good if I (or you) like it. There are soooo many really well reveiwed juices out there, how is it that most make me gag? It's because taste is very subjective. The key is finding reviewers who's tastes align with yours. For example, I'm a big tobacco lover, I find lasttango's and Vapenstein's tastes very similar to my own. I can always count on those guys for an idea if I'm feeling adventurous.

This is an amazing amount of liquid to test and provide opinions on, hats off to the OP. Seriously, reviewing that many liquids against each is no small task, and it was extremely well written. No doubt, it was a labor of love:)

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Not in agreement on a lot of these flavors, but this is all subjective!:)

I rank Iken's RY4 #1 for one reason and one reason alone. It is the closest to the original, bar none.

RY4 was originally created by Dekang. It was a tobacco vape, first and foremost - but it had hints of caramel and vanilla, and even a little nuttiness. Most of these flavors are the exact opposite, I struggle to even taste tobacco, it's like I'm vaping a caramel candy, with maybe the slightest hint of tobacco. Those juices should not even wear the RY4 badge, they are not true to the original at all. Caramel Vanilla Tobacco? Sure! RY4, umm no. Waaaay too sweet. And to be fair, I have not tried everything on the above list, but in my search of the perfect RY4 and 555 I tried many.

Some people get into the sweet candy vapes, and these may be the RY4s for them. But being the tobacco lover I am I just can't stomach calling them RY4.

On a side note, I ordered Quick Nic's RY4 and 555 based on the reviews here, same, waaaay too sweet as well. If anyone is looking for barely used 30ml bottles (5 drops each), just pm me.

If you want a real tobacco based RY4 go with Iken's. If you want the best tobacco based 555, go with VS Frisco.

My work is done here, please don't hate:)

dudeabides,

I agree with some of your post.

I've read that Dekang had four formulations in their Ruyan (RY) series: RY1, RY2, RY3, and RY4. Supposedly, sweetness was either a primary difference or at least one of the differences, so that the formulas became progressively sweeter up the number scale: RY1 was the least sweet, and RY4 the most. I don't actually know if that's true or just myth, but I do know for for a fact that Liberty-Flights and eLiquidPlanet both sell all four juices in the series.

I have a bottle of Dekang premix RY1 from Rocky Mountain Vapor and just compared it head-to-head with my Dekang premix RY4 from Madvapes. (They're about the same vintage, roughly seven months old, which doesn't prove anything, but might indicate similar origins.) The RY4 may be a tiny bit sweeter than the RY1, but not by much, and neither is as sweet as some of the RY4s on the rankings list. The RY1 and RY4 were different, but I couldn't pin down exactly how.

I have noted in the reviews the relatively few RY4s where I can taste a nutty component: OzarkFresh Kentucky Burley RY4, Ikenvape RY4 Gold, PrimeVaping PV4 and KalamazooVaporShop RY4. Especially with the first three, their rankings on the list are a couple notches higher than they would be without that nuttiness (simply because I like it).

VS Frisco is in my daily rotation of favorite juices, so we agree there big time.

I don't know how many vendors sell an RY4, but I'd guess the number to be higher than 100. I suppose they're lucky that you're not Emperor of the Universe, or all of them but Ikenvape might end up in Juice Jail for "misnaming" their product. LOL.

David Bruno

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2009
Iron Mountain , Michigan
I actually save myself from let down. I don't look for the old time RY4. I don't think you will find it. If a seller does rediscover the Holy Grail, they will be very busy! I like FSUSA'S version of a RY4. Is it the true RY4? No. I don't look for a juice to act like analog's, there isn't one. People say FSUSA's offering of RY4 isn't RY4 and they are right. I do like it though and vape it as a everyday juice. It's rich, has the carmel/vanilla thing going on. I like the vapor production and throat hit. It also has a extra spice to it that makes it what it is. I often do try other RY4's and will try some of the juices named in this thread. The problem for me is that now I only vape juice 30 mg and up. The original RY4 was 24 mg, but I did overlook that because it was so good.
There are some of them that have a hazelnut flavor to them. They are ok but I prefer the peanut nutty type flavor of the original.
I'm not into vaping desert or foods, just tobacco. The original RY4 and 555 were the juices that got me off of smoking analogs. Not because they were like analog but because they satisfied. Excellent post for RY4 and tobacco lovers.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
David,

To my palate, the three least-sweet RY4s on the current list are Ikenvape RY4 Gold, Elixir RY4, and Madvapes-Dekang RY4. Of those three, Ikenvape's is clearly the most nutty. Elixir and Dekang both contain flavors beyond tobacco, caramel, and vanilla, but I can't identify the additional flavors as nut-like in either of them.

From your post, I'd think that---like thehangdude---you wouldn't enjoy QuickNic's RY4 at all. Too sweet.

thehangdude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Just got my BWB RY4 in the mail today. Now I get to stare at it and watch it steep. *waves fist at it*

Might have a go at in a week. It sure is dark for an RY4,but man it sure smells good though!!!

Mine comes in the morning. I will be stalking the mailman. I got a few others to try. Malty and Cola and something else. I might try a hit fresh, just to see where it starts.

Diablo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
SW,Virginia
I ordered a bottle of RY4 from Ikenvape yesterday and thanks to this thread I am looking forward to enjoying it. Now was it one I the ones that needed to steep for awhile?

Nope Ikenvape is great right out of the bottle, was for me anyway. Flavor never changed over the 2 weeks it took me to finish it.

thughes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2011
Layton, Utah
Just got my BWB RY4 in the mail today. Now I get to stare at it and watch it steep. *waves fist at it*

Might have a go at in a week. It sure is dark for an RY4,but man it sure smells good though!!!

You should definitely try it that way you can see how much it changes. I love to experience the evolution of it.

GMalarkey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2011
GA
Nope Ikenvape is great right out of the bottle, was for me anyway. Flavor never changed over the 2 weeks it took me to finish it.

Thanks, I'll be looking forward to enjoying it. I just got a bottle of USA mix in from MadVapes and it seems pretty good. So far from what I've read if I like it I'll love the RY4, this is going to be an interesting journey.

lasttango

What would Freud say?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Wilmington, DE / Ithaca, NY
www.last.fm
I recently tried some ry4 from myvaporstore.com... I read about how it was a really good "traditional" ry4... just like the ry4 that came in those 510 carts wen you first got your ego/510... and it is... Fresh delicious "cheap" ry4... 30mls for around $10...

they also sell a "high" calibur version... it was pretty good... but I preferred the cheaper one...

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
I recently tried some ry4 from myvaporstore.com... I read about how it was a really good "traditional" ry4... just like the ry4 that came in those 510 carts wen you first got your ego/510... and it is... Fresh delicious "cheap" ry4... 30mls for around $10...

LT,

I guess $12.99 for 30mls is "around $10," LOL. With $2.50 first class shipping, that's still in the less-expensive ballpark. I'm tapped out right now, though, so it's a moot point.

The 40-or-so customer reviews of that RY4 on myvaporstore's site were all over the map. Lots of 5-star ratings, but a significant number of 1- and 2-star ratings as well. Your taste buds and mine are often in synch, but I'm not sure about this one...

David Bruno

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2009
Iron Mountain , Michigan

they also sell a "high" calibur version... it was pretty good... but I preferred the cheaper one...

Thanks for reminding me of MVP. I ordered Marlb and 555 from them way back. They had pretty darn good customer service if I can remember. The juice was pretty good. I'll have to revisit them!

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
After considerable thought, I've decided to try out a different system for evaluating RY4s in all their variations. While I don't regard this as my thread (it's OUR thread), I am sort of the keeper of the beast, since I'm the guy who started the thread and determined the original and revised rankings. Silly me.

A numerical ranking system is, of course, ultimately bogus, since any such vertical best-to-worst ranking is accurate only for my palate (and those whose tastes closely parallel mine). So, I'm going to see how it goes to throw out the rankings and replace them with categorical groups. After another round of testing (boy, are my taste buds tired!), I've defined 11 separate categories and placed each of the current crop of 29 different RY4-type juices within the categories that seem to me to apply, meaning that each juice will appear in at least one category, but often more than one.

The categories are fairly obvious, but a note of explanation might be warranted. Each category delineates juices that emphasize either a particular flavor or vape quality. Take Vanilla, for instance. In RY4s, vanilla is almost always less emphatic than the other base flavors of tobacco and caramel, so the juices listed under the vanilla category aren't "vanilla-only," but rather those where I can taste the vanilla more distinctly in the blend. Same with Nutty: only Ikenvape has a pronounced nut flavor that's obvious and up-front; the other juices are more subtle in their nuttiness. Since most RY4s don't seem to have any nut flavor, however, the category seems relevant and worth noting.

My hope is that this will provide a more reliable guide to help readers pick which RY4s they might want to purchase, with less chance of disappointment. If this new system meets with your collective approval, great! If not, what the heck, we'll just throw it out and think up something else.

So, without further ado, here are the "new" categories and the juices that apply (to my best ability to judge) within each category:

Stronger Tobacco (less sweet)
Ikenvape RY4 Gold
BackwoodsBrew RY4
VaporTalk Dulcis
Esmoke4Life Riskee Yuice
NiteLiteVapor Renegade RY4
VaporStation VS4
VapeRite RY4

Dessert (more sweet)
QuickNicVapor RY4
Kick Bass Vapor RY4
KalamazooVaporShop RY4
Vapure VY4

Nutty
Ikenvape IKV RY4 Gold, PG Blend
ElixirLiquid RY4
QuickNicVapor RY4
LiquidXpress Taboo
VapeRite RY4
KalamazooVaporShop RY4
OzarkFresh Kentucky Burley RY4

Caramel Rich
VapeRite Organic VR4
Want2Vape RY4
QuickNicVapor RY4
PrimeVaping PV4
LiquidXpress Taboo
Kick Bass Vapor RY4
Vapure VY4
VoidMist RY4

Vanilla
QuickNicVapor RY4
BackwoodsBrew RY4
FreedomSmokeUSA RY4

Bright/Lively
Ikenvape IKV RY4 Gold, PG Blend
VaporTalk Dulcis
LiquidXpress Taboo
ElixirLiquid RY4
Esmoke4Life Riskee Yuice
Want2Vape Rock Star

Deep/Dark
VapeMasters R4
Want2Vape RY4

Balanced/Blended
VaporTalk Dulcis
PrimeVaping PV4
ElixirLiquid RY4
VaporStation VS4
VapeRite RY4
Want2Vape Rock Star
KalamazooVaporShop RY4

Middle-of-the-Road
VaporStation RY4
NiteLiteVapor Renegade RY4
AwesomeVapor RY4
AltSmoke RY4

Variants (non-typical)
BackwoodsBrew RY4
VapeRite Organic VR4
FreedomSmokeUSA RY4
VoidMist RY4
Kick Bass Vapor RY4
Want2Vape Rock Star
Vapure VY4

Bizarre (just plain weird)
BlueMistVaping RY4
FlavourArt oRYental 4

Next week I'll review three additional RY4s: Halo Tribeca, Janty RY4, and GoodeJuice RY4 (my original review was based on the RY4 flavor concentrate that Nick sells, which he informed me is a pre-mix and not the same as his in-house made-fresh-from-scratch RY4 recipe, so GoodeJuice gets a new review).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread