Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Less than you’d think. They did miss the primary reason the people here who don’t like the juul and think it’s evil (such as myself) don’t like it which is that nicotine is locked at maximum level.
Did they?

The company plans to start selling lower-dose pods this year, according to the New Yorker...

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
A minimum response at best. They’d have to make 5 or six levels probably down to 3mg. I rather doubt they will.
3mg strikes me as utterly pointless for a device that has so little power and vapor production; it might as well be zero.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
How does a company even make 10B in just a few years? Even if it's overpriced crap that dies quickly?
Where do you get the idea that they've "made" $10B ?

Lots of companies that have never made a penny in actual profits have outrageous market valuations. I'm not sure whether Juul is profitable or not, but the way they've taken market share from the other e-cig brands that are sold in c-stores, combined with the fact that they have a pretty broad patent on nic salts means the markets see a big potential.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
That told me nothing I didn't know.

I will say this, man, I took ONE hit of the kid's Juul and went, "Never again." To be fair, that also happened when I upped my own nic salts in a few tanks, the "buzz" wore of quickly.

My brain just doesn't want me to be happy. :lol: It adjusts quickly.

I do wonder, though, what exactly is in those pods besides high nic, and yes to be fair it's a weaker delivery system but they do have some of the highest concentrations out there. My kid is having a much harder time from quitting the Juul than quitting sub0hm vaping. He did that quite easily.

I have gifted him a bunch of stuff, including 2 more eliquids including my 60 mg Bavarian Cream Stone! It's been steeping forever but he liked it. Sigh.

He also was asking from drags off my cigarette last night (sigh, this reflects badly on both of us) and it was all I could do not to say, "No thanks, kid, I'll GIVE you a cigarette, but I don't know where those lips have been!" Then I considered what body part he emerged from and I was like, I don't want to be the person who eats chicken not eggs (a SOMEWHAT flawed analogy) and just gave up.

It all started with the Juul though. I blame it. My own smoking that was all me, but I am no big fan of the Juul.

Anna

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
To be positive, I haven't like smoked a cigarette today. In a fit of hatred against all CLR tanks except the Oddessy, well, I dug out my much beloved Titanium Kabuki and decided to "head to head it" against the ONE ego one (tiny tank) I have still running. I put the SAME eliquid in it and MAN. It is JUST as good, if not better... Kinda more subtle in a way. LOL.

ALSO I have dropped that thing infinity times and never once has a SINGLE coil refused to read. LOL. It's GOOD, seriously.

So, I still love the CLR coil. Oh, I'd try one in a Kabuki, but probably the coil would break the dang titanium tank or something.

I still love you CLR, but you and I are not a match made in vaping heaven. Other folks may be fine, but not me.

So there are GOOD head to head comparisons. LOL.

Anna

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
3mg strikes me as utterly pointless for a device that has so little power and vapor production; it might as well be zero.
They’ll need that too. The steps down get smaller and smaller as one approaches zero if one wants to truly quit. I dunno. Perhaps they will actually provide a path to recovery, but they’re a corporation and it I my experience that corporate America voluntarily or not, generally winds up practicing maximum evil. It’s the way competitive capitalism works after all.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
They’ll need that too. The steps down get smaller and smaller as one approaches zero if one wants to truly quit. I dunno. Perhaps they will actually provide a path to recovery, but they’re a corporation and it I my experience that corporate America voluntarily or not, generally winds up practicing maximum evil. It’s the way competitive capitalism works after all.
Have you considered that Juul may not be the right product for someone who wishes to wean themselves off of nicotine? There are plenty of other products to choose from for anyone who has that desire. Or do you really believe it is incumbent on every manufacturer of vaping products to offer an easy path to zero nic?

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
One could also practice self control, a concept mostly lost on today's world, the JUUL could be a path, to zero use, if one chose to hit it less and less frequently at increasingly longer periods of non use, just playin the devils advocate here. Where there's a will there's a way

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Have you considered that Juul may not be the right product for someone who wishes to wean themselves off of nicotine? There are plenty of other products to choose from for anyone who has that desire. Or do you really believe it is incumbent on every manufacturer of vaping products to offer an easy path to zero nic?
Absolutely. Nicotine is addictive though, and that IS a problem. Juul is a captive system. There is no way to choose to quit. So yes. Yes I do. Keep in mind though that almost all other devices already have this out through their ability to change juices, so this applies only to juul, vuse, analogs (which I think pretty much everyone here agrees are evil), and the very few other captive systems. Manufacturers do not have the right use addiction to bind users to their products.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
One could also practice self control, a concept mostly lost on today's world, the JUUL could be a path, to zero use, if one chose to hit it less and less frequently at increasingly longer periods of non use, just playin the devils advocate here. Where there's a will there's a way
Ah yes. The “just say no” theoryof addiction control proven to raise addiction rates everywhere it is applied. Addiction doesn’t work that way.

Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Absolutely. Nicotine is addictive though, and that IS a problem.
How is that a problem any more than, say, the caffeine in coffee?

Juul is a captive system. There is no way to choose to quit.
You might have a point if Juul were the only vaping product on the market. But that clearly isn't the case. If someone wants to wean themselves off of nicotine, there are plenty of products available that they can use to do that with. Heck, there are now even empty third-party pods for Juul that can be filled with any strength of liquid a person desires.

Manufacturers do not have the right use addiction to bind users to their products.
How does Juul bind their customers to their particular product?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
How is that a problem any more than, say, the caffeine in coffee?
Quote/reply function seems to have broken down leaving only the first and last points. The first one is your best point though. Nicotine has a history of being far more addictive than caffeine, but I have no evidence that it is necessarily worse. Touché.
How does Juul bind their customers to their particular product?
The do it with the combination of sealed pods and a patented nicotine product. This does make the assumption that the juul patent does in fact have a superior nicotine salt which is also not proven. I mistrust salts in general though due to the lack of content transparency and lack of published research on them. Pure nicotine by contrast has had a bunch of research done on it by various medical companies for other products

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I will say (I reluctantly and I do mean RELUCTANTLY) place the Juul in the "harm reduction" category and a DIY of nic salts (they aren't benzoic acid though) my main beef is the lack of transperancy about what is in the pods, not so much the nicsalt levels, although they don't THRILL me.

I mean, I think everyone knows that Starbucks is the preferred beverage of MANY and they ALSO have the highest caffeine content on the MARKET. So stepping down (especially without that KNOWLEDGE) can be harder, it's hard to tolerate different premade other coffee makers, it doesn't feel "right."

For a new ex-smoker the juul could certainly "lock one in" to a high nic level and no 100% surety about ingredients and unfortunately many new vapers don't know much about nicotine levels, proprietary vs. fillable pods, and may never obtain than information. It is also true that the juul is very, very expensive.

I'm glad I avoided it (I kind of HUNGERED for it in the beginning) because it MAY well have become my nirvana and frankly, while one of the MAIN reasons vaping is appealing, cost savings are ALSO appealing, honestly, and although they may NOT be around in the same way as formerly, the Juul is SUPER NOT CHEAP.

So I see pros and cons, but for me, I tend to lean "con" and also, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone starting to vape. For me being able to customize my vape is fantastic. Etc.

Anna

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I mistrust salts in general though due to the lack of content transparency and lack of published research on them. Pure nicotine by contrast has had a bunch of research done on it by various medical companies for other products
Hmm... Check the label on nicotine gum. It does not contain pure nicotine; it contains nicotine polacrilex, which is nicotine bound to a polymethacrilic acid. What do you get when you bind an alkaloid to an acid? ;)

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hmm... Check the label on nicotine gum. It does not contain pure nicotine; it contains nicotine polacrilex, which is nicotine bound to a polymethacrilic acid. What do you get when you bind an alkaloid to an acid? ;)
Um... I went to art school. The closest we got wa binding acids to alcohols which makes fast drying oil paint that’s all golden like a resin. (I loved the stuff but I wore a filter mask when I painted with it)

Google says
https://www2.mcdaniel.edu/Biology/botf99/herbnew/alkaloids.htm but this has limited meaning to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread