mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
The "Weekender" mod
By Mike Petro

OK, Bap shamed me into getting off my .... and finally doing this. This is my first mod ever so please excuse my fumbling.

Also, THIS IS MY FIRST mod, so I do not claim any expertise whatsoever, nor do I recommend you use this as a guide to build your own Mod. This is just a document of my own journey!

My Objective:
My girlfriend and I live about 3 hours apart, so we trade off weekends at each others place. I am trying to create a Mod that will last me the entire weekend, hence the "Weekender". Its just another Box Mod but with a lot of juice! The enclosure is quite roomy, next time I will look for something a little more compact.

In case of emergency I added a 1 amp USB charger circuit since I always have phone charger cable handy. The battery holder I selected has over/under voltage protection, and over/under current protection. While the Holder appears to be rated at 5amp continuous, the current protection kicks in at about about 9.5amps. I figure that I can get a full 20w down to about 3.6v on the batteries and still only pull 5.5a. In reality, I probably wont push it that hard, I am mainly after a SOLID 15-17 watts. I am using Panasonic NCR18650Bs because of the fact that each can only deliver about 3a, or 6a with 2 in parallel, thereby limiting the current to less than the over-current protection. In other words, these batteries cant deliver enough current to get me in trouble, and thats by design. I dont need 10amp bats in this build, not with 2 bats in parallel.

Specs:
  • 4" Tall x 2" Wide x 1.5 Deep"
  • 6500mah
  • 20 Watts max
  • 6 amps max continuous
Projected Cost about $90

List Of Materials:
Aluminum Enclosure 38m x 51mm x 110mm (Cut down to 95mm L) ($7.33)
DNA20D by Evolv ($36.25 in a Co-op)
DNA20D Screen Cradle ($5.66)
5V micro USB 1A Lithium Battery 18650 Charging Board ($7.00)
1S2P 3.7V 2x18650 Battery Holder w Protection ($4.15)
Floating Pin 510 connector ($4.41)
Tactile Switch SPST SQ/SQ BLUE ($3.66)
KSJ Series Spherical Tactile Switch ($0.77 x 2) (How can they make these that cheap?)
Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh ($15.68 for 2-pack)

Various other Materials used:

Got it all laid out and ready to start.
DSCN0425_zps897234c0.jpg

First I had to prepare the 510 connector. It is actually a top cap for a mechanical tube mod but I had no way to attach it to the top plate, so I made a M22x1.5 jamnut out of aluminum (couldnt find one off the shelf readily). The center pin is spring loaded but just press fit together, so I took it apart to solder the Positive lead to the bottom so as not to melt the delrin. I made the jamnut big enough so I could solder some wires onto it to use as a chassis ground, used the AL-Solder 500 and a really hot iron. Checked continuity and it worked well.

IMAG0094_zps4de0e8e0.jpg

DSCN0427a_zps0dd51559.jpg

The enclosure was little too tall at 110mm, so I cut 15mm off of both halves. I then made all my holes for the screen, the two Up/Down buttons, the fire button, and the USB port. This was pain! I used a drill and a Dremel cutting disc to make pilot holes then used jewelers files to fine tune the shape.

DSCN0427b_zpsf4ec734a.jpg

I found that a 13/64 hole for the Up/Down buttons was soooo perfect that I can probably press fit those buttons in without having to glue them. They, as well as the big Fire button all had 4 leads on them, I cut off the two I didnt need. The fire button is a nice VERY slim tact button. I drilled holes to allow the wires to pass through the enclosure then used Plastic Weld to glue the button onto the enclosure surface. Had to use heatshrink on the leads to keep them from shorting to the chassis.

DSCN0427c_zps97c585d6.jpg

Used plastic weld to glue the DNA screen into the Bapgood/Mamu screen bezel. It held fine but I would use some other adhesive next time. The plastic weld caused the screen tint layer (the one you can peel off if you dont need it) to pucker up a little bit right at the glue joints. Its not bad at all really, but bad enough that "I" will notice it every time I look at it! You can see it in the photo, its a little swollen area at the top and bottom of the screen moving from center out to the right.

DSCN0430a_zps26f22fa0.jpg

Mounted the battery holder with some good double back tape. Used Plastic Weld to glue the USB charger to the enclosure just below the batteries. It all looks a mess right now but the wires will route nicely when I am done.

DSCN0430_zps87649e18.jpg

Thats it for today, need to walk away from it. Tomorrow I complete the other half of the enclosure and solder it all up!

To be continued...........

Innocuous

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
Washington (the desert)
One note on that AL cap: I flushmount my ithafun and 91% to them, and they tend to "stick" bad enough to need pliers. Also, there are no airslots - so a term-c and other bottom-breathers will choke hard. Finally, the threads have a limited lifespan, so pick up a couple spares while you can.

I'm considering trying that low-temp braze-rod to fill the threads a little and retap, as well as even boring out the 510 to thread in an ego/510 adapter. The latter would mean I could simply replace the adapter when it's threads got munged.

(Incidentally, if anyone knows how to pop out that delrin insert for drilling, etc, let me know!)

Last edited:

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
(Incidentally, if anyone knows how to pop out that delrin insert for drilling, etc, let me know!)

Mine popped out easy, it is just press fitted in there. I went in from the top of the connector and tapped the center pin with a blunt punch, the delrin assembly (including the center pin) popped right out. Also, the center pin is just press fit together as well. The bottom has the shaft and the top is press fit onto it. Put one end in a vise and twist the other end with a pair of pliers. Just be careful to keep track of where the spring flies off to. Do your thing and then press it all back together and squeeze it with a pair of pliers.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
One note on that AL cap: I flushmount my ithafun and 91% to them, and they tend to "stick" bad enough to need pliers. Also, there are no airslots - so a term-c and other bottom-breathers will choke hard. Finally, the threads have a limited lifespan, so pick up a couple spares while you can.

I'm considering trying that low-temp braze-rod to fill the threads a little and retap, as well as even boring out the 510 to thread in an ego/510 adapter. The latter would mean I could simply replace the adapter when it's threads got munged.

Heck, as cheap as mechanicals are getting on FT it tempting just to order a SS mechanical just for the 510 connector.
$14.06 Caravela Style Mechanical Mod - 18350 tube at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
$14 for a top notch 510....... And throw the tube away.....

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Good job so far Mike, its looking good. I haven't started my first dna20 mod "Waiting for parts from china" but already started cutting wood and forming the enclosure for dna20 mod #2, so yes I am way ahead haven't started the first and already working on the second. :)

New Bedford! I used to live in Fall River many moons ago. I miss the fresh fish up there! Oh, and a baked stuffed......

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
Good god man, have you ran out of zip ties yet :lol:

It looks really clean, but I never seem to have room for such luxuries. So I usually stick to a wrap of electrical tape here and there.

If you want to be super trick get some of that finely braided nylon tubing. I would put a dab of CA on the ends to keep it from fraying and in place on the wire and then put a small piece of heat shrink on the ends. It looks great but also allows your wires to stay together with out the bulk of the zip ties as well as keeping the wires flexible.

Innocuous

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
Washington (the desert)
Not sure I've ever seen this tubing, Bap.. You don't mean this spiral-cut stuff, right? Have you got a link?
:
If you want to be super trick get some of that finely braided nylon tubing. I would put a dab of CA on the ends to keep it from fraying and in place on the wire and then put a small piece of heat shrink on the ends.
:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread