Status
Not open for further replies.

KC0YNU

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
McPherson, Kansas
I am not new to the vape world but have never built or wicked coils before. I am looking for an inexpensive starter rta and know this to be the place to ask.

currently using nautlus minis 24mg nic 50/50 at around 9 watts and al85 with Baby Beast .4 ohm coil 12mg nic 70/30 at 45-55 watts.

am more of a flavor chaser than cloud chaser

am looking forward to a little guidance from my fellow ECF members

Thanks

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Some good mtl rta's include, but are not limited to:

The taifun gt3
The Kayfun 5
The Kayfun Prime
The Hurricane

And many more.. (there is one I keep forgetting the name of too, but I forget the name because I don't own one)

My personal preference is for the Kayfun 5 or the Taifun GT3 as a general rule.

There are things you want to know/consider, how tight a mtl draw are you looking for?

If you vaping the Nautilus mini you probably like a bit tighter draw. As such, you might consider the Taifun GT2, as that is a tighter draw than the three, or consider the Kayfun Prime which is just coming out, that will give you a nice tight draw. The Hurricane is another good choice for you as well.

The Kayfun 5 and the Taifun GT3 are more mid range airflow (able to do restricted lung draws) and have the ability to wick well with slightly lower ohms and slightly higher wattages... so, I consider both of those somewhere in between dl and mtl, hence why they are my favorites. (If you find you like those, you may find you like the serpent mini as well)

Or, that one I can't think of the name of, because I don't own one. (Yes, I own some 30 rta's, just not that one!.. lol)

Last edited:

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
...so Rebuilable tank set up capable of both above and sub ohm preferred....

If you mean capable of both MTL and DTL, they don't exist...in my opinion. Dual purpose tanks rarely do either one well.

For DTL, I started building with the Limitless Plus RDTA and still recommend that for a beginner purely for the ease of building and wicking on it. Flavour is pretty decent as well. But, anything with a "velocity style"deck should be fairly easy to get going on. For single coil DTL tanks, there have been some recent releases that are reviewed well. Of them, I have the Serpent SMM. Not my favourite tank, but useable and easy to work with.

For MTL, most of them will be easy to get started with as the decks are pretty simple. The new Berserker that was just released from Vandy Vape is good for ease of use. The SXK Doggystyle is even easier to build on.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I've got a couple kayfun clones to wick and I've heard good things about the Vandy Vape Beserker. The Hussar clone with the airflow reducer also does a rather nice MTL, it's an easy build deck and simple construction....

Anna

Hussar! That's it! That's the one I don't own!

I so keep forgetting the name of that one!

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I've got a couple kayfun clones to wick and I've heard good things about the Vandy Vape Beserker. The Hussar clone with the airflow reducer also does a rather nice MTL, it's an easy build deck and simple construction....

Anna

Have you bought this one yet? It's so cheap and the flavor is awesome.. you should give it a shot if you haven't already:

$8.54 Nectar Styled Genesis RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - stainless steel + POM / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've spent $200 to $300 or more on assorted atomizers that were supposed to be MTL or MTL/DTL variable. IMO, there are few and maybe "no such thing" as an atomizer that completely satisfies MTL and DTL vapers. It's mostly one or the other.

I keep coming back to Kayfun. There were some really cool designs out there, but finicky juice flow and air adjustments made them all (or mostly) unsuitable to my tastes. That, and I like to pocket carry. Body heat leads to leaking in many of them. A good Kayfun checks all the boxes on my best atomizer list.

MY list of rejects also includes the Kayfun V4 and V5. The V2 is just easy and reliable and has slightly better flavor and airflow than the V3. Your mileage may vary. :)

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I do mtl with the nautilus set ups and DTL with the AL85s

am wanting to avoid drippers with a passion

so Rebuilable tank set up capable of both above and sub ohm preferred

You may be a vaper who would like the new models. There are tanks that will do MTL and DTL and sub ohm out of the box. The GeekVape Griffin 22 or 25 is probable one. Others here can fill the rest of the list out for you.

Reactions: Opinionated

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
From the sound of it, you want something easy to build and wick right now. You's also like 1 tank for mtl and DL. Tough to find. About the only one I can think of is a OBS Engine Nano. Single coil simple deck to build and wick, and as it's a top airflow you have to make a serious attempt if you want it to leak. Probably fine on the DL end, but if you go to the Engine Nano thread in the RTA section you'll find users who are satisfied with the air turned seriously down. Still, IMO, trying for a tight draw as with mtl and higher airflow for DL is really tough to expect a single tank to accomplish.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I've spent $200 to $300 or more on assorted atomizers that were supposed to be MTL or MTL/DTL variable. IMO, there are few and maybe "no such thing" as an atomizer that completely satisfies MTL and DTL vapers. It's mostly one or the other.

I keep coming back to Kayfun. There were some really cool designs out there, but finicky juice flow and air adjustments made them all (or mostly) unsuitable to my tastes. That, and I like to pocket carry. Body heat leads to leaking in many of them. A good Kayfun checks all the boxes on my best atomizer list.

MY list of rejects also includes the Kayfun V4 and V5. The V2 is just easy and reliable and has slightly better flavor and airflow than the V3. Your mileage may vary. :)

I love the kayfun four.. once you get the wicking down you literally cannot get it to leak. It's more parts, and as such more complicated, but it's an awesome tank.

5 is about the same way, although I agree that the juice flow control is more fidgety and as such, may leak occasionally.

Both those have serious learning curves though. But once you get it down your solid.

I agree with you though about mileage varying. Lots of people don't do fidgety.

KC0YNU

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
McPherson, Kansas
Thank You all for the input. the build deck on the Hussar looks like a longer lasting design IMHO.
will have to look at the kayfun designs as well as the OBS engine.

am attempting to stay at about $20 for complete tank setup, knowing wire wick and coiling tools will have to be added.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread