Thoussands of puffs on SMOK coils every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpencerHamm

May 8, 2019
I have been using the smok alien and smok prince tanks for a couple of years now. I get on average about three to four thousand puffs on every coil that I drop in. It's weird because I have seen that people only get a thousand before they start to burn. The flavor starts to fade after about two thousand, but I have not had a coil start to burn on me until about four to five thousand puffs. Has anyone experienced this?

Of course,one in ten don't even make it to a thousand because smok coils can have shifty quality control but even so. I have them set up within the recommended range of about 80 watts at .15 or .2 ohms accordingly to the coil.

Like I said, they don't start to burn until about four to five thousand puffs, but the flavor drops off at the steep curve starting at two to three thousand. Is there any danger in using the same coil until about five thousand hits? I have also cleaned a coil after about four thousand puffs using grain alcohol and get about one or two thousand puffs of more use out of them. I always make sure to rinse them with warm water before priming again for use.

Is there any reason that I should clean or switch coils at a certain point before four to five thousand?

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I have been using the smok alien and smok prince tanks for a couple of years now. I get on average about three to four thousand puffs on every coil that I drop in. It's weird because I have seen that people only get a thousand before they start to burn. The flavor starts to fade after about two thousand, but I have not had a coil start to burn on me until about four to five thousand puffs. Has anyone experienced this?

Of course,one in ten don't even make it to a thousand because smok coils can have shifty quality control but even so. I have them set up within the recommended range of about 80 watts at .15 or .2 ohms accordingly to the coil.

Like I said, they don't start to burn until about four to five thousand puffs, but the flavor drops off at the steep curve starting at two to three thousand. Is there any danger in using the same coil until about five thousand hits? I have also cleaned a coil after about four thousand puffs using grain alcohol and get about one or two thousand puffs of more use out of them. I always make sure to rinse them with warm water before priming again for use.

Is there any reason that I should clean or switch coils at a certain point before four to five thousand?
Hi and welcome,
WOW!
Please translate "puffs" into:

1) how many ML of juice per coil before replacement?
2) how many days/weeks/months of use before replacement?

What is VG content, the flavor percentage/brand and nicotine content of the juice you use to achieve your results?

Cheers
I

Reactions: RayofLight62

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Hi and welcome,
WOW!

What is VG content, the flavor percentage/brand and nicotine content of the juice you use to achieve your results?

Cheers
I

It is also possible he is vaping at a lower wattage.

• Agree
Reactions: Izan

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
If you say average each puff at 2 seconds per puff that come out, times 5000, at 166 and a bit minutes use. I think. That's 2.7 hours. Say you have 100 puffs a day, that's 700 a week. That becomes 7.14 weeks use. At the stated 80 watts.
:glug:

50 days give or take, per coil head.
That is probably a SMOK record.

Cheers
I

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
At one point, I got curious why an used coil, perfectly cleaned to look like new, would produce so little Vapour and flavour.

So, after having stained the wicks of one new and one "regenerated" coil as needed, I placed them under the microscope.

The new wick had long and contiguous fiber strains, the washed one had a convoluted mess of fiber fragments.

The wick of the washed coil wasn't able to transport the liquid from the tank to the coil, and was overheating.

This story ended up with me investing some more spare change in new coils.

Which thing, rather appropriately, I recommend to all vapers. In the end, Vaping should be a pleasure, not an endurance contest...

Vapedog

Oct 28, 2018
At one point, I got curious why an used coil, perfectly cleaned to look like new, would produce so little Vapour and flavour.

So, after having stained the wicks of one new and one "regenerated" coil as needed, I placed them under the microscope.

The new wick had long and contiguous fiber strains, the washed one had a convoluted mess of fiber fragments.

The wick of the washed coil wasn't able to transport the liquid from the tank to the coil, and was overheating.

Which thing, rather appropriately, I recommend to all vapers. In the end, Vaping should be a pleasure, not an endurance contest...
Yeah, when my flavour fades out I change coils. I can't stand a weak or non existent flavour Vape.

mac-nutty

Moved On
Mar 2, 2019
pub
menthol or tobacco type juice?

smok sales agent?

or you just a new member telling us how fab smok coils are when we all know h0w terrible they are made
:D :D

for anyone that has a smok tank did you know that coils are generic made now ie other companies coils fit making smok coils null/invalid if some one reminds me il try to post up a list of coils and what they are compatible with if i can find it

from memory the vaperesso nrg are amazing in the baby beast compared to smoks coils ;)

x x
member off the i love smok club :D

Last edited:
Reactions: RayofLight62

SpencerHamm

May 8, 2019
Hi and welcome,
WOW!

Cheers
I

At this current coil I have used 120 ML of juice 50/50 vg/pg at 6 nic. I have gotten 4100 puffs at 80 watts and my average draw is about 2-2.5 seconds.
The timespan varies but i'd say it's been just under a month.

By no means am I a smok fanboy, I was just blown away by how good they have been compared to what I've seen in the community.

SpencerHamm

May 8, 2019

I've had some that I have cleaned with grain alcohol that worked great for another thousand or so and some that were crap right after cleaning, but both pretty much looked the same. I always try to give the coil a second chance but if it is a drastic loss in vapor/flavor production then I bin it and change to a new one.

posthxc1982

May 9, 2019
Ohio
I've always had good luck with Smok products. That being said I've been using a Baby Beast for about 2 or 3 years and the coils never lasted that long. I recently purchased a TF 2019 tank and the mesh coils that come with it last for weeks. No leaking, no burning out. I haven't had a bum coil yet. I heard they started making compatible mesh coils from Smok and others like GeekVape for the tfv8 about a year ago. I wish I had known. This tank I have now is honestly the best sub-ohm tank I've ever had.

• Useful
Reactions: Izan

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
Honestly, the bigger factor to coil life in my experience is the juice you are vaping. Not even so much the VG/PG ratio, although this can affect it as well. But more the sweeteners, flavor percentage, flavor type, etc.

I can easily get 6 weeks or even longer from a SMOK coil when vaping unflavored juice. Actually, pretty much any brand premade coil I've used. This is vaping 12-16ml of juice/day for 6 weeks or longer.

I've had flavored juices that will kill the same coil in just a few days.

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
So many posts about using the same coils forever and not cleaning atomizers. Makes me wonder if you guys also see how long you can go without showering or changing your underwear --haha! :p I build my own coils so it costs me pennies to make a new coil. I replace wicks and coils frequently and I clean atomizers frequently... I also shower every day. ;)

Reactions: Falconeer

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
Now that we have ml of liquid to use we have a starting point. Puffs are so subjective in that they vary by length, type of coil, and temperature that one can't compare effectively.

The next question is what type of liquid the OP is using. 120ml of unflavored is not unusual to me, in fact on the low side. If it's flavored, what type of flavor is a huge factor. I average about 180ml of a lightly sweetened mint/menthol per coil myself on a non-smok coil, so without a better understanding of the liquid used, am not impressed.

• Agree
Reactions: score69
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread