Tinitus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dlpsr

Dec 15, 2019
Pennsylvania
Thanks for posting this.
I work for a consumer audio gear company and spend my day testing home speakers and repackaging. Between items I have Bose ANC 700 headphones, listen to podcasts etc at a level that drowns out the ring, and my co-workers. I have buds I can use at home and other ANC headphones. Going to find and try this app as well.

Nice job.There are several apps there, I just randomly picked this one based on reviews I think.

Dlpsr

Dec 15, 2019
Pennsylvania
Thanks, I read about the bans on those across the world and did read about the side effects as well. Off the shelf stuff is questionable anyhow. Prescribed meds are dangerous enough by themselves.
Concerning Tinnitus, hearing loss and possible help methods.
I can attest that smoking and vaping aggravate ringing. Since quitting all except nic gum and logenses, ringing has reduced about 70% in volume but is still always there.

Since I have hearing loss, my new Bluetooth, very expensive hearing aids should arrive any day now. Medicare advantage paid $2,500 and I forked out $3,600 additional. But they may improve my hearing as well as stream, have apps etc.

For others who want to investigate Tinnitus, just run a Google search. There are forums, medical sites etc.

For other options less expensive, Bose make hearphones ear buds, search it, nuheara.com just came out with their latest ear bud hearing devices. I don't own any of these yet but I might. There are others out there. Most around $400.00.
And are supposed to help mild to moderate hearing and can be used to stream, have apps etc. For adjustment.

As for relief sounds for buds or headphones, as mentioned, on the Play store are many apps for Tinnitus noise and relief.

For the religious, in the Bible way, I use the youversion Bible app, also on play store.
They have several YouTube male and female voices reciting Psalms with rain and thunderstorms and waves. I found that soothing and a good mask for Tinnitus. Search YouTube for youversion rest. You can play them there as well.

The long term objective is to retrain our brains to not hear the ringing with these noise makers. Kinda like when your central air fires up you hear it start, but then after it's running your brain and ears mostly ignore it. I'll post again if anything new comes up.

Dave

Reactions: zoiDman

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
I'm 61. Got hearing aids 2 years ago. I have about 40% hearing loss in one ear and about 60% hearing loss in the other. Have also dealt with tinitus. Never worked in a noisy environment. Don't shoot guns. Rock concerts, yes, but not a lot. I never stood in front of the speakers at a Who concert.

I've seen where people on the internet claim that vaping can affect tinitus. I'm not trying to create a fuss but I have difficulty believing that. Where does that claim originate? Have there been studies? How can something like that even be studied with any known accuracy? Vaping hasn't been around that long and there are too many factors that affect hearing.

MY ear doc told me that 75% of hearing loss has no definite pin-point cause, meaning due to medical reasons, most hearing loss is a result of too much noise exposure, old age and luck of the draw.

Reactions: Dlpsr

Dlpsr

Dec 15, 2019
Pennsylvania
I'm 61. Got hearing aids 2 years ago. I have about 40% hearing loss in one ear and about 60% hearing loss in the other. Have also dealt with tinitus. Never worked in a noisy environment. Don't shoot guns. Rock concerts, yes, but not a lot. I never stood in front of the speakers at a Who concert.

I've seen where people on the internet claim that vaping can affect tinitus. I'm not trying to create a fuss but I have difficulty believing that. Where does that claim originate? Have there been studies? How can something like that even be studied with any known accuracy? Vaping hasn't been around that long and there are too many factors that affect hearing.

MY ear doc told me that 75% of hearing loss has no definite pin-point cause, meaning due to medical reasons, most hearing loss is a result of too much noise exposure, old age and luck of the draw.
I certainly wasn't intending a fuss either. No study here. I'm saying for "me", it aggravates my tinnitus, makes it louder.
I know because I quit and it's lower now.

I already had some hearing loss and no Tinnitus. The Tinnitus was brought on by Fluoroquinolone antibiotics. They're moderately ototoxic. Caused blurry vision and the Tinnitus and more hearing loss. Had to get new glasses too. Along with a multitude of other side effects. About 200 prescriptions or more can cause both.
Doctors blame it on hearing loss alone and gas light us about Fluoroquinolones. Levofloxacin, Cipro etc. I'm pro vaping, it saved my life from cigars and cigerettes.
But I'll never take a Fluoroquinolone again unless death is imminent.

Dave

Reactions: Vapemesilly

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I certainly wasn't intending a fuss either. No study here. I'm saying for "me", it aggravates my tinnitus, makes it louder.
    I know because I quit and it's lower now.

Would be interesting to see what happens if you were to vape without any nicotine.

Dlpsr

Dec 15, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Would be interesting to see what happens if you were to vape without any nicotine.

Again, for me only, I "think" I know. All of the white sticky phlegm I was hacking up is also mostly gone after 13 days. Unless nicotine caused it. I think it was the PG/VG, but not sure if one or both.
    Who knows? #vapeon

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    This info would explain why my regular Bluetooth headphones didn't work, no noise reduction. I'll consider a pair of those. Beats earplugs on the lawn tractor.

I also shot too many guns without PPE and worked machine tool and plastics. Very noisy. Before OSHA and PPE laws. I have used ear plugs on the tractor for some time now. Most mowers are above 85db.

As to amps and speakers, had a few behind me also in a small band we had. Cranking my 72-73 fender tele. Loud bars, loud music etc. The good ole days. Retired now so tractors the only loud noise, mostly, unless I go to the range.

Northern Tools has the WorkTunes headphone/hearing protectors for $44.99. They are definitely needed for shop and lawn mower noise isolation. They are as good as most high quality headphones I've used and they seal well around the ears. I wear them while cutting grass and using power tools. I never used to worry until a hearing test at work showed slight high end degradation. It was time to start taking care of my hearing after all those years of not worrying about it.

3M Digital WorkTunes Hearing Protector with AM/FM Radio/MP3 — NRR 24dB, Model# 90541-80025V | Northern Tool

Dlpsr

Dec 15, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Northern Tools has the WorkTunes headphone/hearing protectors for $44.99. They are definitely needed for shop and lawn mower noise isolation. They are as good as most high quality headphones I've used and they seal well around the ears. I wear them while cutting grass and using power tools. I never used to worry until a hearing test at work showed slight high end degradation. It was time to start taking care of my hearing after all those years of not worrying about it.

3M Digital WorkTunes Hearing Protector with AM/FM Radio/MP3 — NRR 24dB, Model# 90541-80025V | Northern Tool

I appreciate that. I don't have an account with them, but Amazon has the Bluetooth version for about the same money.

Reactions: DaveP
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread