Tired of Prodigy killing atomizers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scatterbrain

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2009
I’ve had my Prodigy for almost 2 months now, and have vaped through 8-10 901 atomizers. When I was vaping on a regular 901 auto stick the shortest atty life I had was a month. Another one lasted 2 months. Is this frequent atty burn-up typical for mods, or should I try another mod that also takes 901 attys?

I’m very stocked up on 901 attys, as well as the 750mah RCA 3V batts & extra chargers that the Prodigy uses. Love vaping with 3V batts though, so any recommendations on another mod that uses the same batts but doesn’t kill attys so fast…or even just reassurance that this is typical for this type of mod…would be MUCH appreciated!

I’ve already tried draining/blowing nightly, as well as boiling, coking, peroxiding, etc etc etc to try to revive the attys...lots of techniques recommended here, but after 2 months I’m convinced it’s the Prodigy (or perhaps mods in general) that’s so hard on them, rather than anything I’m doing.

Last edited:

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
Ive not lost but 1 atty since i stopped trying to clean then/ I dont feel it is necessary at all.. I dont use the prodigy but do use a similar 6 volt PV.

I dont think the Prodigy is at fault especially. I dont use the 901. I do use 801 and 510s for 6 volt. You might try an adapter so you can use 801's and see if you get better life out of attys. Someone that uses 901s will probably post something about their experience here.

One thing I think is you cant heat these attys to much at 6v like you can with 3v or they will die quickly. and cleaning I think, other than a alcohol wash out kills them quicker also.. I never keep switch down more than 2 seconds at 6v and never run til dry.

I think also that some just die no matter what. They are cheaply made devices. Some times we luck out and get good ones..lol
Just my .02.

Zofryer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2009
Near DC
zofryer.com
Any high volt mod is going to kill the atomizers quick if you aren't keeping them moist, or hold the button down too long. The issue is either bad 901's, or user error. That being said, I'm somewhat "pro" and I've still had 5 901's die in two months. Compared to the price of a pack of smokes, I'm not going to complain too loudly.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
I am switching my Prodigy to 3.7 volts. I am losing too many attys at 5 volts. My first experience with the Prodigy I tried some older , weeks old, attys and they were both killed at the first push of the button. Then 6 days later it killed the new atty that came with the kit. I've been using a 510 manual since April and had only 1 atty die a mechanical death, I've had 4 more die from carbon gunk.

Kevin

scatterbrain

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2009
I'm not heavy on the switch, but perhaps half of the attys I've lost did come from a single source. Still, the original one that came with the prodigy only lasted 5 days. I don't use the cleaning/soaking methods unless it's dead or nearly dead, but I do blow them out and drain them each night.

Mainly I'm trying to either find another mod or come to terms with VERY frequent replacements if this is indeed to be expected...would like to stay at the same voltage though.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Voltage Kills Atomizers if you aren't careful ... Even if you are, you can still lose them quite easily.

801/4072's are the only atomizer I know of that perform optimally at high voltages ... that doesn't mean people don't love 510's/901's at higher voltages, 801/4072's are simply built a bit stronger ... you can sometimes see as much as a single ohm of resistance increase in pen atomizers due to their structure. You are seeing 4.75 - 5.25v with the Prodigy. If you are having problem killing atty's at that range, 6v can only get worse. Best bet may be to drop back down to 3.7v or, like a previous poster stated, get an 801 adapter and start using those on the Prodigy :)

EDIT: With that said ... I exclusively use an 801 on my Prodigy and a 510 on my Protege. I use my Protege roughly 75% of the day.

801 on a lower voltage device is weak IMO. 510/901 perform great at lower voltages ... and vice versa ... 801 performs best at higher voltage and 510/901 don't IMO ...

Again ... just opinion :)

scatterbrain

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2009
cashmere, you said "You are seeing 4.75 - 5.25v with the Prodigy. If you are having problem killing atty's at that range, 6v can only get worse." I'm not very familiar with the voltage terminology but the batts that shipped with my Prodigy are 3V each. Does that equal 6v and if so...should I be getting lower voltage batteries? (where?) Or am I misunderstanding?

quovadis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Florida USA
Guys
I still kill some 801 atty's but not as many as before.
Some 801 atty's were not meant to survive, and they die quick.

Others last. I don't know why.

Some are tight airflow and some loose...Who knows why?

I have just received a bad batch of BE112, silver edition...they are so tight that you can't draw air through them. Of to the garbage they go.

Who knows ? I don't...there's no explanation.

I am quite sure that the pass through at 5 volts is very forgiving with atty's.

I think those stupid Rcr123a batteries may give power surges and kill the atty from time to time, especially when there's not enough liquid.

Also, who knows ...maybe some liquids are not made for use with 801 and the prodigy?

Until some scientific experimentation is done to discover the causes...we can talk till we are blue in the face.

I don't know.

SheerLuckHolmes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2009
Tempe, Az
cashmere, you said "You are seeing 4.75 - 5.25v with the Prodigy. If you are having problem killing atty's at that range, 6v can only get worse." I'm not very familiar with the voltage terminology but the batts that shipped with my Prodigy are 3V each. Does that equal 6v and if so...should I be getting lower voltage batteries? (where?) Or am I misunderstanding?

Prodigy uses 2X3v or you can even use 2x3.7v. But the Prodigy has a resistor in the switch that reduces the combined 6v so that the output to the atty is only 5 volts. They do sell a switch without the resistor, but its purpose is to be used with a single big 3.7 volt battery not the combination of two small ones.

quovadis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Florida USA
The chinese don't make 6 volt e cigs.
So their atty's are perfectly good for lower voltages.

I will be in China october and November working on some of my projects, and I have already contacted a few atty manufacturers.
What i want these guys to do is start building a super atty, with a serious coil capable of handling higher voltages and surges...or whatever it needs.

Mind you if the FDA would make it's mind up, that would also help.
The problem is that nobody wants to spend money on development cost until we know if these buggers are going to ban or not.

jdubthegreat

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
California
Prodigy uses 2X3v or you can even use 2x3.7v. But the Prodigy has a resistor in the switch that reduces the combined 6v so that the output to the atty is only 5 volts. They do sell a switch without the resistor, but its purpose is to be used with a single big 3.7 volt battery not the combination of two small ones.

Like he said. You can take the switch out of the Prodigy; check for a resistor. It looks like a tube or cylinder with wires coming out of each end. If you DO have the resistor, you are OK. If you don't, you are running what most think is too much voltage (with the two batteries). This switch would be fine with a single (18500?) battery. I believe puresmoker does sell replacement switches if this is the case.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

rinkusu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2009
Seattle, Washington
I always keep the atty moist, only press the switch for 2-3 seconds max and drain the atty at least once a week. I only use the 801 atty at 5 volts. Also, if the atty feels hot to touch, I give it a minute or two to cool down.

I burned a few attys when not doing the above, now that I do the above, I've been vaping solid for 2 months with the same atty. Hope that helps.

Flitzanu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
www.myspace.com
i'm with zof on this one. people are unnecessarily blaming high voltage mods, but most of this is the frail design of the attys and simple user error or miscalculation.

and those of you thinking "user error" is an insult, it's not. just means you could use some practice and patience.

i've never once blown an atty, and i use 901 too. i've been using the same one on my prodigy for many months now with absolutely no problems. keep it moist, simple as that. don't take 8 second drags either, keep them short, 2 to 3 seconds, and at any sign of loss of flavor, add some juice.

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
Like he said. You can take the switch out of the Prodigy; check for a resistor. It looks like a tube or cylinder with wires coming out of each end. If you DO have the resistor, you are OK. If you don't, you are running what most think is too much voltage (with the two batteries). This switch would be fine with a single (18500?) battery. I believe puresmoker does sell replacement switches if this is the case.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's an 18650 battery, actually.

... so why would someone (me) using 510 atty's even want a Prodigy then?

Because the above mentioned 18650 battery is available at 3000mAh. Mine last me up to 3 days before needing to be recharged, and I'm a very heavy vaper.

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
a chinese atomizer is a compromise between acceptable run time and battery life for small battereis and vapour production.. to satisfy the desire for small real cig sized e cigs..

some like the RN4075 are biased towards vapour production and draw more current at a given voltage.. some like the older classics draw less current at a given voltage..

soooo some atomizers (the ones biased towards battery life) are noticeably helped by a higher voltage.. some (the ones biased to more vapour production) dont need it and will without very careful user manipulation run too hot.. a two second puff being such careful user manipulation..

the RN4075 which was a copy of the original DSE 901 mini atomizer was made to run hotter and draw more current.. good for vapor production but bad for battery life.. win some lose some..

later design atomizers like the 510 seem to have gone for the more vapor more current approach.. at a guess i would say the older design pen style 801 would be an atomizer best suited to higher voltages.. they were pretty useless on the normal one..

to make an atomizer run hotter (draw more current) at a given voltage all it needs is a small alteration in the resistance of the heater coil wire.. making it a little shorter will lower the resistance making it longer will increase the resistance..

the other problem is the woolly wicking system.. vapor needs liquid.. making a device that produces more vapor just shows up the deficiencies in the current wicking system.. hence the need for regular topping or dripping..

an 18650 battery has the ability to bung out more than enough current to produce more than enough vapor.. all it needs is an atomizer made to pass more current.. like 2 amps from 4 volts and off you go into vapor overdose land.. a place some folks on here would quite clearly love to be in... he he he

one thing the device aint gonna be tho is real cigarette sized.. that place is cloud cuckoo land...

trog

ps... will the chines produce a high current draw (2 amps) atomizer.. they might if enough folks want bigger battery devices but as yet i doubt it.. the mass market still wants real cig sized things..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread