Not open for further replies.

P0P

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
C'Ville Virginia
momandpopvaporshop.com
Bloomberg (Link)

One of the most volatile corners of the municipal-bond market is being whipsawed by Washington.
Securities backed by the payments states receive from the 1998 legal settlement with tobacco companies tumbled at the end of April after legislation was introduced in Congress to raise the age for buying cigarettes, a step that threatened to accelerate the steeper-than-anticipated drop in consumption that’s weighed on the prices of the bonds.

May 8, 2019

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
A Less Harmful Tobacco Product that would fall under the Current MSA and would be Easily Taxed to boot.

Sounds like the Perfect Mouse Trap.

And what a Wonderful Coincidence that it just Happened to be Approved right when e-Cigarettes are about to be Decimated.

Talk About Luck.

Last edited:

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
Bloomberg (Link)

One of the most volatile corners of the municipal-bond market is being whipsawed by Washington.
Securities backed by the payments states receive from the 1998 legal settlement with tobacco companies tumbled at the end of April after legislation was introduced in Congress to raise the age for buying cigarettes, a step that threatened to accelerate the steeper-than-anticipated drop in consumption that’s weighed on the prices of the bonds.

May 8, 2019
Ppt ( plunge protection team) been busy playing magic musical chairs with the debt markets,,, Basel II & III have proven more of a suggestion than a policy.

Stock traders don't understand the bond market is huge & far more important than stocks,,, that's why the PPT has neglected them for some time

• Agree
Reactions: Rossum

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Ppt ( plunge protection team) been busy playing magic musical chairs with the debt markets,,, Basel II & III have proven more of a suggestion than a policy.

Stock traders don't understand the bond market is huge & far more important than stocks,,, that's why the PPT has neglected them for some time
Not only that, but the credit (bond) markets have an insane amount of "insurance" outstanding against them in the form of CDS (credit default swaps) and other derivatives such as interest rate swaps. There's very little actual capital backing these derivatives, and they're traded over the counter rather than on exchanges with rules. So it doesn't take a whole lot of bond defaults to cause a huge ripple effect.

I've long thought it would be very ironic if tobacco bonds failing were the black swan that triggered the next financial crisis, and a next one there will certainly be, because the problems that caused the last one were never really fixed, they were just swept under the rug.

Vaping had the potential to kill the MSA bonds dead. Is it any wonder that very powerful forces seem to have aligned against it?

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
Not only that, but the credit (bond) markets have an insane amount of "insurance" outstanding against them in the form of CDS (credit default swaps) and other derivatives such as interest rate swaps. There's very little actual capital backing these derivatives, and they're traded over the counter rather than on exchanges with rules. So it doesn't take a whole lot of bond defaults to cause a huge ripple effect.

I've long thought it would be very ironic if tobacco bonds failing were the black swan that triggered the next financial crisis, and a next one there will certainly be, because the problems that caused the last one were never really fixed, they were just swept under the rug.

Vaping had the potential to kill the MSA bonds dead. Is it any wonder that very powerful forces seem to have aligned against it?

because the problems that caused the last one were never really fixed, they were just swept under the rug.-EXACTLY!!!
& the media/politicians named it the great recession when in fact we were in a panic depression - if Joe6pack knew that he would have woke up and taken credit & his job far more serious than they do today,,, todays adults who believe the media about the recession label are no dif than a millennial on the verge of being a snowflake unable to quantify the concept of responsible money management

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
…I've long thought it would be very ironic if tobacco bonds failing were the black swan that triggered the next financial crisis, and a next one there will certainly be, because the problems that caused the last one were never really fixed, they were just swept under the rug.

Very well put above. Why I long ago thought that problems for an e-cig future would be structural, political. I prayed this would not eventually usher in the demise of the industry. We bought the demo, armed up well enough to perhaps become the victim of our own success. But if you're going to marshal a protest you need to understand the meaning and purpose of the banner you're carrying.

Tried hard here and on the outside to emphasize the importance of community. We needed an army philosophically, and still do. The factors that may form up the next big crisis are many, i.e. student loan debt, with vaping now certainly a pinnacle part.

Good luck. :)

p.s. sorry for the late edit

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread