Today I learned the letter F and that VAPING KILLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Seeing another doctor for his opinion on vaping won't convince the original doctor to change his. This 100 mile trip to see another doctor would be fruitless.

It's just that the op is still stuck with this doctor, and not by choice.

I agree it's not guaranteed his local doctor will take any notice.

If it was me, i'd enjoy a nice road trip. I'd be on a mission !.

That's what i'm like.:)

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
@CryptoRick, sorry to hear that response, logically and ethically it is a very disappointing approach. All I can say in mitigation is the following:

1. Where are the long term epidemiological studies to support this? Immediate short term trauma or chronic/acute disease will be well documented and researched. vaping, by it's recent innovation, is not. So it is a bit of a straw-man argument to suggest health concerns so soon. A bit like the Victorians suggesting rail travel would kill all the passengers because the human body is not meant to travel at > 20 MPH. The evidence isn't there yet.
  2. Clearly, this doctor hasn't got any grasp on how the universe works. Blunt object trauma (e.g. being hit with a hammer) versus sharp object trauma (being stabbed by a knife) require different medical treatment, and no doctor or emergency room staff would be as negligent to class the two forms of injury as identical. To categorise vaping as "smoking" is to make the same fundamental error, even if (1) was to demonstrate risk. As we all know, PG has been used in inhalers and nebulizers since the 1950s. Any contra-indications or issues, logically, would come from the additives or possibly interactions between flavours and the carrier. A totally different kettle of fish from inhaling burnt plant matter.
  3. It is the responsibility of a medical professional to heal, not to judge an individual. I can count on the fingers of both hands the numbers of times doctors etc. have told me that smoking will make me ill. The number of times I took any notice? A couple at most. The most effective treatment is compassion, understanding and wisdom. I can easily go blue in the face trying to tell people not to make the mistakes I have, but more often than not people need to learn and understand for themselves. It is called being human. Play the ball, not the man.
  4. The UK positively embraces vaping as a pathway to giving up cigarettes, but at the same time with the disclaimer that further research is needed. Personally, I think that is a very enlightened approach, and I agree that further objective and unbiased study is required. The problem is that the system is so messed up it is virtually impossible to circumnavigate the vested interests, either pro or anti.
  5. Clearly, the nurse and the doctor haven't realised that the information age is upon us, and worshipping at the sacred temple of the professional guru is now history. We are now more informed, enlightened and educated than any generation in time. The real issue, like journalism, is who do you trust? As the secret practices, vested interests and professional compromises are revealed, people are naturally becoming more skeptical of "experts". It is no wonder, as the layers of mystique are peeled away we find, ultimately, our leaders have feet of clay just like us. To be credible, those is a position of leadership need to confront this, and if they don't know, admit it, rather than clinging to a raft of professional arrogance.
There, I guarantee you are feeling better now. I am not a doctor nor do I have a diploma, but can I have my $250 consultation fee now ? I take Amex, Visa, cash even :rolleyes:.

(Apologies, I normally carry out most of my work on a pro-bono basis, but I had to throw in the last part for realism).

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
There, I guarantee you are feeling better now. I am not a doctor nor do I have a diploma, but can I have my $250 consultation fee now ? I take Amex, Visa, cash even :rolleyes:.

(Apologies, I normally carry out most of my work on a pro-bono basis, but I had to throw in the last part for realism).

That last part makes it unrealistic, unless you live in the United States, Syria, Eritrea, Turkmenistan, Libya, Iraq, Albania or a third world country (among little others).

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
It boggles my mind that this stuff exists and is allowed.

How can you allow medication companies to give kick backs or compensation to doctors for prescribing their drugs? How can you allow tobacco companies to fund politicians seeking election and pay for their campaigns?

In what world will people be completely against the government taking their hard earned money to fund public healthcare, not allow the government to dictate which guns they can or cannot own, but are perfectly fine with corporations making those decisions over elected officials?
A world (or at least a nation) where bribery and graft are institutionalized into the system by campaign contribution requirements and where a politician can pick the voters they want to represent rather than the reverse. It’s not even that the solutions to these problems are not known. It’s just that one party doesn’t have the clout or the cojones to fix it and the other one actually fought to put the systems in place.

CryptoRick

Jul 22, 2018
Well my first reaction was disbelief. I tried talking to the nurse but that was fruitless and def not good for my blood pressure so I dropped it. The doc I just looked at him and tried to smile. I mean really, the guy has prescribed 22 pills a day for me to take so I am guessing that it's what they do. He is going to have the pharmacy send me a new script of nic patches :)

I have NO intention of quitting vaping and going back to smoking based on the opinion of a quack. Never mind the health benefits or lack thereof. Its all about the Benjamins. As a former 3 pad smoker I am saving several crap loads of money and much of it taxes that goes to fund this kind of treatment. About each carton of cigs not bought is a new mod :)

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
odd.... I was a 2-3 PAD smoker and my Dr. was always on my .... to quit.... took up vaping and quit the ciggies. When I went into the Dr. for my annual checkup, he did the standard breath deep routine and noticed I didnt snap crackle and pop anymore. He was totally suprised that I cleared up as well as I did and told me my lungs sound as clear as someone who doesnt/didnt smoke... he suggested that I should continue vaping and stay away from the ciggies... he knew that the gums/lozenges/patches didnt work for me... he was going to prescribe Chantix for me ( while I was still smoking) but realized I was too nuts for it ;)
Same here, my doctor told me that switching to vaping was the best thing I could have done.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Toots

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2009
USA
The doctor's loyalty is to the one who cuts the paycheck. Which these days is no longer the patient. They must mindlessly spout the company policy, opinions and decisions of those who cut their checks and fund (bribe) them. Independent thought, research and patients best interest are rarely their priority. Those good old days are gone. Very sad.

Virtual Life

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2012
Miami, FL, USA
About each carton of cigs not bought is a new mod :)

From a query I wrote February 2014 for my custom database.
Vaping for 5 years (1832 days) now after 38 years of smoking and the difference in cost is staggering. Based on cigarette prices when I quit it would have cost me $13190.40 and $4447.54 spent on vaping for a savings of $8742.86. That is 91600 cigarettes I would have smoked. (can you say nerd?)

And I can BREATH AGAIN!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Medical results win over attitudes and uninformed medical opinions. There's lots of people who think it's the nicotine that is bad. Those people usually love nightshade veggies like tomatoes and potatoes and may not know that they contain nicotine.

It's the tars and SMOKE particles that kill your lungs. That doesn't exist in ecig vapor. When I smoked there was a light haze in my chest x-rays. Now my lungs look normal. My doctor is fine with vaping.

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Since the start of this year I've noticed a rather bizarre change. Every once in a while I get approached, informed that, "…that stuff will kill you." Often accompanied by the admonition, sometimes in various languages, that it'll cause "cancer". On observing that it's not combustion, the uniform rejoinder, "…don't matter." Some sophisticated sh¡ite right there in terms of effective dissemination.

I'm walkin into Publix down here on the beach a couple back and a drunk approaches me with this!

Obviously somebody has gone through a whole lot of trouble and expense to get this political message out…even to the drunk on the street.

Good luck. :)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Medical results win over attitudes and uninformed medical opinions. There's lots of people who think it's the nicotine that is bad. Those people usually love nightshade veggies like tomatoes and potatoes and may not know that they contain nicotine.
Playing devil's advocate here. ;)

Ever consider how many tomatoes and potatoes you would have to consume to equate to how much nicotine you would get from vaping or smoking?

Nicotine can have "bad" effects depending upon how much you consume. It is a stimulant and vasoconstrictor, which could be considered to be unhealthy and even dangerous to use should one already have coronary heart disease, peripheral artery disease, hypertension, diabetes, or had a stroke. At extremely high doses it could be considered a poison; in fact it is to this day used as an insectacide.

Just clearing the air that nicotine is not as safe as some here are claiming. There's a risk involved if you drink water or breath air, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread