Tootle Puffer here ... Any recomendation on what [dual coil] to build ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
For about 2 years now, I have been building a single Kanthal 1.3 ohm coil for my kayfun Lite-Plus atomizer. Since I am a mouth to lung "Tootle Puffer", I keep the airflow pretty tight and supply this 1.3 ohm single coil with about 12 watts of power ... makes for a nice 'all day long' vape.

Well, my son is sending me a new Kanger Protank 4. I would like to use the rba dual coil deck that is supplied with this atomizer, but don't know what ohms I should build to using the Kanthal 27 gauge wire I already have.

I don't sub-ohm, but playing around with the "Steam-Engine" calculator, I find that using 27 gauge Kanthal wire is going to get me a dual coil setup in the sub ohm range (0.3 - 0.6 ohms) no matter how many wraps I use that will still be able to fit in the somewhat small Protank 4 build deck.

If anyone here could give me a good starting point that would be nice for a "Tootle Puffer" like myself, it would be appreciated ... (or is a dual coil setup really just for high power direct lung hits) ?

Thanks a bunch,

Reactions: tpedwards

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
I always use single coil RTA's except my Bellus, but that has a piece that blocks half the area of the deck juice flow. I didn't even think you could do a dual coil for above sub ohm. I do have 30 gauge wire and going to play around with steam engine to see if I can do that also with my Bellus.

Reactions: tpedwards

javyn

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2010
houston
I didn't know a Protank 4 existed until I looked it up just now. Velocity style dual post deck is what it looks like. I don't think small high resistance coils over those huge air holes are going to be very good. That deck looks tailored for sub ohming.

Sure you can choke the air off with the AFC for toodle puffing, but honestly I don't think it will come close to your Kayfun on flavor. Could be wrong, JMHO.

Reactions: Shawn Hoefer

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Other tanks you can consider for simple builds/single coil > 1 ohm are the Merlin and the Serpent mini. If you like your KF, you can also get the new Kayfun V5.I built my first Serpent mini today and have to say with a simple 1.2 ohm 8 wrap 28G Kanthal, the flavor is terrific, and the airflow is easy to dial in for a pleasant MTL vape.

I've been thinking about the Bellus as well as it does have that ceramic block if I want to stay single coil as well.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
I just threw a dual coil 32 gauge KA1, 2.4 mm ID, 6 wrap spaced coil into an Orchid 4 (I think... there are more Frankenorchids than Carter's got liver pills). Came out to 1.24 Ohms and it's only slightly cooler than I like running wide open (12 whole watts) on a kicked Chi You.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Reactions: javyn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread