Touch sensor switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyhorse

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
Baja Alabama
Is there such a thing as a commercially available touch sensor switch that will run a NicoStick? All I've been able to find are schematics for building your own. Unfortunately, these drawings are beyond my level of comprehension.

If there is nothing commercially available, can one of you advanced modders post some textual info to help those of us who are electronically challenged?

It's looking like the ratshack momentary switches, (both the half-amp and the three amp) seem to have a limited life expectancy. Although I have one half-amp switch that's still working after more than three months, both types generally start going downhill after a month or so for me. I like the idea of no moving parts in a NicoStick.

Is there such a thing as a commercially available touch sensor switch that will run a NicoStick? All I've been able to find are schematics for building your own. Unfortunately, these drawings are beyond my level of comprehension.

If there is nothing commercially available, can one of you advanced modders post some textual info to help those of us who are electronically challenged?

It's looking like the ratshack momentary switches, (both the half-amp and the three amp) seem to have a limited life expectancy. Although I have one half-amp switch that's still working after more than three months, both types generally start going downhill after a month or so for me. I like the idea of no moving parts in a NicoStick.

I'm in the same boat as far as knowing how to build one.The wife's ticked off at me because I'm spending so much time on the Net tring to learn how to make one. It's become somewhat of a challenge now since I've had a few people say that I cannot build one. I have never been able to NOT do something once someone says that I can't, and I will. It may take me more time that others but I'll do it.:thumbs: Hopefully someone can make a post on that for all of us.

VaporX

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2009
Jersey
with a simple picaxe microcontroller you can make a circuit that will allow touch sensor.

bascially you wire one of the outputs with the right resistor, plug in controller code and it will be able to "sense" (and measure) skin resistance

a little more code and you can tell it to allow 5v out when it sees the touch even time or pulse the output

crazyhorse

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
Baja Alabama
That is why I am looking into making my own switches, like the ones you find in really cheap flashlights...something like 2 strips of copper that touch each other when depressed. That would work much better for us and also fit into reduced narrow spaces.

Anyone tried that?

Interesting idea. No, I've never tried it or even considered it and don't know what you find in a cheap flashlight. It does give me something to think about which is good. Anything will be better than what we have to work with now.

It doesn't look like the touch switch wizards are gonna cough up any useful help for us electronic dummies

warp1900

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
TX
Interesting idea. No, I've never tried it or even considered it and don't know what you find in a cheap flashlight. It does give me something to think about which is good. Anything will be better than what we have to work with now.

It doesn't look like the touch switch wizards are gonna cough up any useful help for us electronic dummies

LOL crazy, yeah, I doubt they will translate it for us.
I only know about kina and caesar making a touch sensor, the others just talking about it use tech talk that I can't figure out.

Anyway, I don't know if it is possible but it is so simple it should work, I'm just trying to figure out how to isolate the 2 metal (copper) strips so they don't short with the casing or anything else and find something to glue on top of one strip as a button.
I think they call this a "leaf switch"

This is a bad drawing I did with 2 options:

3862062761_d4422bd11b_o.jpg

Obviously this could be made any size, as small as you can possibly handle with your tools.

---

Last edited:

Ralph Hilton

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2009
Semmering, Austria
Here's a circuit diagram of my test rig:
ts3.jpg

This is the assembled board - I made it big to better show where the connections go.
Its put together on a piece of stripboard (there are copper strips running horizontally on the other side - they just need to be cut between the IC connections using a small drill bit.
The sensors are just pieces of tin.
ts1.jpg

Here it is connected up to a 2.7 ohm dummy load. Only 0.06 volts is lost across the mosfet.
ts2.jpg

I don't have suitable smd parts around at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread