The ABCs of batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLoWPoKeSE

Mar 10, 2010
Texas
-- "Rechargeable (secondary) alkaline, nickel-cadmium (NiCd), and nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) batteries don't have enough output."

What's wrong with NiMH? I am currently using a homemade battery pack of 4 AAA rechargeables in series (4.8v) to a 901 atty. It puts out plenty of vape and will last me roughly 10-12 hours on one charge. Keeping 2 sets of 4 in rotation I never run out of juice.

wader2k

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
NE Illinois
-- "Rechargeable (secondary) alkaline, nickel-cadmium (NiCd), and nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) batteries don't have enough output."

What's wrong with NiMH? I am currently using a homemade battery pack of 4 AAA rechargeables in series (4.8v) to a 901 atty. It puts out plenty of vape and will last me roughly 10-12 hours on one charge. Keeping 2 sets of 4 in rotation I never run out of juice.

That's exactly what I had in mind....or even 5 of them for 6 Volts.

SLoWPoKeSE

Mar 10, 2010
Texas
True, 5 would make 6v, but pre-made battery holders for 4 which are about 1"x1"x2" are so quick and easy to work with. $2-$3 at Radioshack and and just hook up the two wires coming out the top, and find something to put it in. I used some 1 1/4" PVC fittings and mad-dog's tip on using a tire valve. The thing is huge, not quite as big as a coke can, but it stands upright which is convenient. Lots of room to work inside of it. BTW...the tire valves are an sae 5/16 x 32, and the atty's are an 8mm x .75...Soon as I can get a die I'm gonna try threading an RCA coupler. It looks just right for the 901 atty's and the in and out are already isolated.

Last edited:

Bryce

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
Spokane, WA
If a protected cell detects a short and shuts down current flow,is there a way to reset the battery once the short has been corrected,or is it like a fuse and thats it???

Great question Seadooman...not sure it really got an answer yet. Hope someone can expound on this a bit more.

You Might Have A Few Hours Left To Delete The Post (You Have 24 Hours To Edit or Delete The Post If You Don't Know That, The Clock Is Ticking...) & Save Face, But Thats Up To You.

What?!? Are you for real Cellmeister??? Open Mouth...Insert Pride...Swallow...Repeat.

Thank you to Moger, a fellow Washingtonian for all of this great information!! You have given me many weeks of my life back. Hope to return the favor someday...thank you!

Last edited:

ThePuck

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Hillsboro, Ohio USA
puckecig.com
Interesting stuff.

I was wondering about using NiMH batts.....4 or 5 of the 1.2V variety in series to produce 4.8V or 6V.

Any comments on this?

I have used MiMH exclusively for over 7 months and love them. I use 4 AAA batteries for 4.8 volts in one of my mods I put up here and it does over 24 hrs (I do sleep 7 to 8 hours) just fine with plenty of power.

I don't know why more people don't use them. My mod is very small and works flawlessly using NiMH.

ThePuck

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Hillsboro, Ohio USA
puckecig.com

Same here except I get over 24 hours with mine with the same configuration. Maybe you vape more than I do but I really vape a lot all day long and night myself. If I put in a fresh set at, say.. 7:00AM, vape all day, most of the night, sleep, get up the next day... I usually can vape that morning on the same batteries and then change them around 9:00-10:00am.

NiMH works great. They just aren't as small as lion but I don't care since I can fit 4 AAAs in a tiny box. Don't know why people keep knocking them. They are all I use now. Plus... I have a charger that charges them in 15 minutes at home or in the car. :)

Last edited:

Scarlet Fire

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2010
Terrapin
I asked this elsewhere in the forum, and then I came across this nifty thread. What a lot of excellent info! I'm hoping someone with expertise in this area can help me with the following dilemma:

I purchased some of the Tenergy LifePO4 RCR123A batteries from LitecigUSA and then later noticed that on the product description on the website, it says "Only charge these batteries with the Tenergy LifePO4 charger."

I charged them once with an AG-126 Lithium Ion Battery Charger that I purchased from MadVapes.

Do I really need to purchase a special charger for those batts, or will the one I already have be ok? It worked fine the first time, but I thought it might be prudent to check with those of you who know more about this sort of thing.

Any advice? :confused:

mogur

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
The short answer is yes.

For those that are learning challenged, skip to the pictures....

LiPo batteries are less inclined to flare or blow up. Whereas the flat pack Lipo batteries aren't capable of explosion, the new can-type batteries are possibly explosive. They have similar characteristics to the more common Li-ions. Their explosive parameters are, however, a little higher than Li-ions. Neither want to be trickle charged, so definitely DON'T use non-lithium chargers.

LiPos can take a faster charge and a faster discharge, so don't use a LiPo charger on Li-ions. However, a Li-ion charger will not tax a LiPo battery, so you definitely can use a Li-ion charger. If you want the faster charge of a LiPo charger, then use one, (whether it is the particular brand they are trying to sell, or not), but don't feel restricted to Tenergy.

palingun.png

Sorry, don't know how that got in there, but here is what I meant to post-

batterytpes.jpg

mogur

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
Sorry, maybe I need to 'xplain...

LiCoO2 is the normal Li ion battery that we have become familiar with

LiPoly is Li Po, what Scarlet was talking about.

LiMn2O4 is the new "high drain" battery. High drain, but notice that it isn't as energy dense.... If you torture your batteries, you want these.... If you are energy efficient, you would prefer other types...

LiFePo4 is very cool, if you find a site to buy them, let me know, please.

mogur

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
@the puck...

There's nothing 'wrong' about any battery. Lead acid is a do. It's only about what is weight, size, and energy efficient. I don't carry my motorcycle battery in my front pocket, and we all 'do' what we can.

Four NiMHs isn't that big of a deal, and they work great.... But, follow me here, four Li ions would give you way better longevity, faster recharge, lighter weight, and make you more sexy on this forum.

J/k, you are very sexy already, my friend.

Scarlet Fire

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2010
Terrapin
Sorry, maybe I need to 'xplain...

LiCoO2 is the normal Li ion battery that we have become familiar with

LiPoly is Li Po, what Scarlet was talking about.

LiMn2O4 is the new "high drain" battery. High drain, but notice that it isn't as energy dense.... If you torture your batteries, you want these.... If you are energy efficient, you would prefer other types...

LiFePo4 is very cool, if you find a site to buy them, let me know, please.

Thanks for the info, Mogur. I bought my LiFePo4 batteries at LiteCigUSA. I'm glad to know that I don't need to purchase the special charger for them. ;)

mogur

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
Oops, disclaimer needed. I am not a battery expert, and I just screwed up. This is a modders' forum and PLEASE take what I say (and for that matter, anyone here) with a grain of salt. We try to learn together, hopefully. I just noticed that I called what Scarlet was talking about a Li Po battery. Not. It's a LiFePo4, not a LiPoly, sry Scarlet. With respect to my recent posts, it doesn't really matter, because the high drain, high charge characteristics of both are similar. But, I could have given really dangerous advice because of my misunderstanding. That really underscores the reality that we should not take anyone's opinion without qualification (especially mine).

Please analyze the chart I posted with your own best interpretation.

Here's my best guess (at the moment)- LiPoly, LiMn204, and LiFePo4 are all higher drain amperage (and higher charge amperage) than standard Li-ion, so they are all better at handling low resistance (LR) atomizers with the high drain current required. Li-ion will work, but you are torturing its drain ability and shortening its life. If you use LiMn2O4, you are sacrificing charge density (lower per charge energy- 140 W/kg vs 100 W/kg). But notice that LiPoly and LiFePo4 are higher charge densities, so you get better drain ability, higher charge rates (less time), and aren't shortening their life cycle capacity with the drain/charge cycles.

Anytime you put any of these types in a metal can (that is to say a 10440, 14500, 16500, or 18650 format), you risk an explosive event. The chart tells you that the newer types are less prone to runaway explosions than standard Li-ion (and LiPoly), but any type can explode, with enough careless treatment. Hopefully the protective vent will release the flame out, but it is no guarantee. But to answer a previous question in this thread, no, after a release, the battery is history, no resets, the fuse is blown. Toss and buy another, sorry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread