Traveling with my vape gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamzg

ECF Veteran
Ok I'm sure there's been a thousand threads about this already but I couldn't find a specific thread on the first page of the search and I'm lazy.

I'm flying out of DCA to MCO tomorrow and want to know who has flown with their vape gear, what they brought, how they were treated, any pointers, etc.

Thanks

Enoch777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Midwest, USA
My understanding is the TSA agents won't bat and eyelash... they know what e-cigs and PVs are. You'll be fine.

Also, don't bring tanks, clearos, or carto-tanks. They all leak due to pressure changes during take off / touch down. Bring a dripper or a cartomizer for flight. (Although depending on the airline they may or may not allow vaping on-board.) If you're bringing a tank, keep them unfilled and fill them once you get there.

Maybe someone else can chime in with something else relevant but that's all I got.

Vape well, vape often :vapor:

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
Just to make life easy I kept all my vape gear in my suitcase. It went through both ways no problem. Mods, Juice etc. I did keep an old 808 battery and a carto in my pocket. On the way to Florida I remembered to take it out and put it in the tray with my keys and etc. No problem. On the flight home, I actually forgot it was there and went through the body scan with it. Again, they didn't say a word. I'm sure you can do as everyone else has told you, I just didn't want to risk hassles, or having anything taken away. I'm sure I'm just paranoid!

Mizzou11

Jul 15, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I am a frequent traveler and I have never had a problem. I always put my liquids in a zip lock bag and then put my tanks in another zip lock bag and put one bag into the other. I only had 1 TSA officer say something about my VTR and that was "what the hell is this?" when I told him an e-ciggerate he just responded "looks expensive".

qccraig

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2012
Cape Coral, FL
I am a frequent traveler and I have never had a problem. I always put my liquids in a zip lock bag and then put my tanks in another zip lock bag and put one bag into the other. I only had 1 TSA officer say something about my VTR and that was "what the hell is this?" when I told him an e-ciggerate he just responded "looks expensive".

I'm also a frequent flyer, priority status. A couple years ago I used to take several batteries, couple chargers all in plastic cases and lots of spare parts that would sometimes draw attention. The what is this question would happen with inexperienced TSA representatives about 1 in 5 times. Never once had anything taken away. Now, I travel with two MVPs and a much smaller plastic case for my rebuildable gear. I even carry a fully assembled tank attached to an MVP in my computer bag so I can sneak a hit or two in the airport. Even fully assembled device with juice has yet to get a second look.

I've always dealt with tanks leaking due to pressure changes, they usually only leak a little. I'm booking out tomorrow morning again and I'm going to try the double bag idea with the addition of a small paper towel rolled and folded to wick up the juice that leaks. I don't like dripping and driving, so I use an assortment of tank atomizers when traveling. Lately, I've been using my Russian 91% almost exclusively. Filling tanks in the car rental lot is a pain, so I usually travel with at least one tank 80% full.

Thanks for the double bag idea, it's going to keep my toiletries a lot cleaner.

CraigW

Dj tank

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Ann Arbor michigan
I fly regularly on Delta. I've never had an issue with getting items through security (MVP, Spinner) along with 2, 30ml bottles of juice. I know its prohibited (at least I think) in most airports - I do vape stealthy either in the airport bar (never had an issue) and by the gate. On the plane I'll usually unscrew my protank just a bit during take off, then rescrew it when at altitude. I will stealth vape on the plane at my seat and again have never had an issue - I use juice that doesn't have an offending odor (strawberry or the like) and double inhale so there's little vape on the exhale.

I sat next to a flight attendant one time who told me that its rare they would say anything to you about using it unless you were being a d-ick and blowing out huge plumes or used it unstealthy so other passengers made a comment.

Virtual Life

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2012
Miami, FL, USA
My Protank2's did leak a little from the pressure change. The tissue around it is what I did and enough to contain it. But my baggie of juices also leaked, only a little and only 1 of 9, I think I must have a slightly defective bottle that only manifested while experiencing the pressure change. Again a tissue wrap would have contained that. But TSA paused on my bag yet said nothing.

Fenway75

Moved On
Apr 8, 2014
Okay, so just want to confirm what I just read: you CAN bring PV with you in your carry on bag right? you don't have to put it in the check-in bag?

There's still a lot of debate/confusion on this, even though the TSA officially says they're fine as long as liquids are under 3 oz and in the clear bag. I flew DCA-TYS last week, put one clearo in my 'liquids' bag and two batteries in the shoes/keys/phone tray, and had no issues. However, remember you're dealing with the TSA here, so YMMV.

As an aside, I utilized the smoking lounge at Atlanta Hartsfeld, and the only reaction was a few interested analog smokers. I tend not to stealth vape or push my luck in public.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    This is what I carry when I fly.

P1000478.jpg

Eveything else just goes in the suitcase.

Fenway75

Moved On
    Apr 8, 2014
    Ran into a fellow vaper in the lounge at Atlanta yesterday, she was using a Blu and when she noticed me using my ego clone setup got a frustrated/disgusted look on her face and said "I didn't think I could bring mine so I checked it!" We had a nice chat about setups and travel with APVs, I told her the same thing I posted above - according to the TSA, the batteries are batteries, and as long as the tank(s) you bring conform to the 3-1-1 liquid rule you *should* have no problem. I also mentioned I checked my Vision Spinner II and the majority of my tanks/juices, and only brought the ego clone and one tank in my carryon, as a guard against an overzealous/uninformed Blueshirt deciding that today they aren't allowed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread