The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

U.S.A: PACT Act 2009

Discussion in 'Law and the E-Cigarette' started by AngeLsLuv, Sep 11, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. DaMulta

DaMulta Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 18, 2009
    T-Town Oklahoma
    No high end sin tax on vapping. Why would they want to end the sin taxes?

2. ShakaCthulu

ShakaCthulu Full Member

Sep 4, 2009
    North Florida, USA
    I'll bet this guy voted nay:

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uusms55NY0M&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uusms55NY0M&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

3. JLeigh

JLeigh Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    This is very disheartening. I haven't even purchased my first e-cig yet, and now I'm beginning to wonder if I should even bother. Am I overreacting?

4. Minimike

Minimike Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 26, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    PACT Act = insuring the States get their tobacco taxes and sales taxes, pure and simple.

5. DaMulta

Jun 18, 2009
    T-Town Oklahoma
    This is almost funny when it's so sad.

This is what I see as the future.

FDA rules that E-Cigs are like the Inhalor, and should be regulated by prescription only.

or

The the court case between the E-Cigs/Being a Tob product or not rules it as a Tob product.

Yet this new law passes, and more or less stops everyone from ordering E-Cig supplies. Only places that would still sell them would be the ultra expensive mall shops and so on. Plus if it is ruled a Tob product a massive sin tax is placed on E-Liquid at 1usd per Ml if it contains nicotine.........

One way or another we are #@!!ed!

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 5, 2009
    Corydon Indiana
    We could pay an ex-smoker tax.

7. dragonpuff

dragonpuff Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

This is just a way for them to ensure that they receive their taxes.

At the present time, its a non-issue for ecig users because they haven't classified our product yet, and therefore cannot collect tobacco taxes on something that's not a tobacco product.

If it is ruled to be a tobacco product, they still have to set up legislation regarding exactly how these will be taxed (by the milliliter, by the gram, per device sold, etc.), so i don't believe those taxes will affect us immediately. Except for any tax that broadly affects all tobacco products, in which case we can just buy in larger bottles to pay less on taxes.

Any vendor that wants to keep their business legal can set up a system on their website that automatically calculates the required tax on every purchase, then all they have to do is send it in. It would be a pain at first, but they'll get used to it and will do it if they wanna keep their business.

My point is, i am certain with every ounce of my being that this will NOT block sales, it will only make them a bit more difficult and more expensive. And on that basis, i am not worried about it because, if the judge decides this is a tobacco product, i will still have full access to everything i need. That is my only concern.

On the other hand, if the judge rules for the FDA, then....... game over :(

8. cliff5550

cliff5550 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Does this legislation mean we should be stocking up only on juice? Wouldn't atomizers, batteries, chargers, etc. be exempt? Guess I'll be starting my stock-up plan, just as soon as my vendor gets stocked up. Hopefully that will be soon .

9. DaMulta

Jun 18, 2009
    T-Town Oklahoma
    Why do they have to block Tob orders from online? Why not just in-force people to pay the state by state tax online? So if I'm in OK, and I order from NY why can I not pay the NY tax, and then the OK tax? I know it would be a ..... to sort all the taxes, but they would be paid in the end.

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 5, 2009
    Corydon Indiana
    I meant that we vapers could pay a tax for not smoking anymore!

11. Vocalek

Vocalek CASAA Activist ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 7, 2009
    Springfield, VA
    Which committee did this bill come out of? The web forms are asking me to select a topic, and the only two that might fit this bill are "trade" and "drug" and that's a stretch. At least Webb's form includes "commerce committee."

12. Vocalek

Vocalek CASAA Activist ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 7, 2009
    Springfield, VA
    IMHO, this issue will receive wider attention from forum members if it is moved to the Campaigning forum.

Not everyone reads the Law forum.

13. Mac

Mac Ultra Member ECF Veteran

In short, it could be. They could very easily allow it as the UK and south africa has. They could even impose regulations and import taxes to make it an economic booster, if they wanted to. But they don't want to. Why? Well I would speculate that it is because they are greedy, corrupt, evil predators seeking to profit from our demise.
    If coffee was taxed at 400% and people started drinking red bull instead I am sure the FDA tests would show red bull to be dangerous addictive and marketed to children.

14. degnr8

degnr8 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 29, 2009
    Aberdeen,WA,U.S.A
    Unfortunately, tobacco products are all of these things. While tax revenue is undoubtedly one of the advantages the anti-smoking nazis will use to convince senators to vote for it the actual intention of the bill is to prevent children from mail ordering stuff they can't legally buy. We all know how effective internet age verification is right?

15. vapn

vapn Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 10, 2009
    UK
    No that just means that you should get about a years supply so you can ween yourself off those darn analogs.

16. vapn

vapn Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 10, 2009
    UK
    On the subject of age, I can see why high school kids would really want the e-cig. Think about it, you could easily smoke in the bathroom and nobody would know. You could probably get away with it right in class. And your mom wouldn't even smell it on your clothes. So kids under 18 should not be allowed BY THEIR PARENTS to get their hands on these. Now if they were banned don't you think the black market would open up and make it actually easier for them to get along with their drugs? Then you would get thrown in jail for having one on you...?

17. ShortyBoo

ShortyBoo Full Member ECF Veteran

Jun 23, 2009
    Illinois
    I wish these were around when I was in high school. I used to smoke in the bathroom at school, or I'd leave school grounds during lunch (lots of kids left to get lunch) to have one.

I've only been vaping for like a month and I really don't want to go back to analogs. I would be willing to pay tax on juice, because it would still be cheaper than my old pack-a-day habit that cost me around $140 a month.

I never really did understand, though, why internet orders of analogs couldn't just be taxed. I remember years ago when I was thinking about ordering online (I didn't because my brother did for awhile and they were always stale) something on the news about how people who ordered online would get a bill for the taxes from the state. Maybe this was just Illinois, and it was probably just an idea, but still, it seems like they could do this. So there's really no need for passing this bill. I think more of their taxes are lost by people going out of state to buy more than anything. I know people around here tend to go to Indiana where the taxes aren't as high. I've done it a few times myself.

18. End_User-X

End_User-X Full Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Louisiana
    Regarding the PACT Act, what exactly does "mailable' mean? Just through the U.S. mail? Or does that include UPS, FedEx, etc.? UPS is not mail. The government MUST NOT, and we cannot allow them to, get in the way of free enterprise. We the people. They do what we say, not the other way around.

19. Hittman6

Hittman6 New Member

Sep 21, 2009
    Elliot Spitzer got UPS and Fedex to agree they wouldn't ship tobacco. I don't know if that agreement is still in effect.

20. killdozerd11

killdozerd11 Senior Member ECF Veteran

What makes you think it's not the next thing coming
    They will be taxing wiping your ... soon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.