Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
On the subject of age, I can see why high school kids would really want the e-cig. Think about it, you could easily smoke in the bathroom and nobody would know. You could probably get away with it right in class. And your mom wouldn't even smell it on your clothes. So kids under 18 should not be allowed BY THEIR PARENTS to get their hands on these. Now if they were banned don't you think the black market would open up and make it actually easier for them to get along with their drugs? Then you would get thrown in jail for having one on you...?

But, realistically, if a kid wouldn't be interested in smoking an analog, would they really be tempted by an e-cig?

My 18 year old has no interest in analogs OR e-cigs. My 16 year old thinks the e-cig is cool, but says he'd only use the non-nicotine liquid, because it'd be stupid to start using nicotine when you can get the flavors without.

And if a kid is going to smoke, wouldn't you, as a parent, rather they use an e-cig over starting analogs? At least the e-cig isn't as detremental to their overall health.

People keep forgetting the "reduced harm" aspect of e-cigs.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
So it is not the DEA, but rather the ATF that will be breaking down your door:

SEC. 7. ENHANCED CONTRABAND tobacco ENFORCEMENT

(a) Requirements- The Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives shall--

(1) not later than the end of the 3-year period beginning on the effective date of this Act, create a regional contraband tobacco trafficking team in each of New York, New York, the District of Columbia, Detroit, Michigan, Los Angeles, California, Seattle, Washington, and Miami, Florida;

(2) create a Tobacco Intelligence Center to oversee investigations and monitor and coordinate ongoing investigations and to serve as the coordinator for all ongoing tobacco diversion investigations within the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, in the United States and, where applicable, with law enforcement organizations around the world;

(3) establish a covert national warehouse for undercover operations; and

(4) create a computer database that will track and analyze information from retail sellers of tobacco products that sell through the Internet or by mail order or make other non-face-to-face sales.

(b) Authorization of Appropriations- There is authorized to be appropriated to carry out subsection (a) $8,500,000 for each of fiscal years 2010 through 2014.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I posted a comment against the bill -- and voted in the poll. This poll vote is so lopsided that we actually have a chance of being heard. Ninety-six percent against the bill and four percent for it. Everyone on this forum needs to vote in that poll, if not leave a comment. I cannot imagine anyone but the Tax Collector favoring it.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
There is also a link on the page under "Take Action" that reads "Write your Representative in Congress". This routes you to a page where you can track down your Senators by selecting your State, select a Senator, and then go directly to the Web sites where you can email his/her office.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Thank you for contacting my office regarding the PACT Act (S. 1147). I appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

As you may know, the PACT Act places regulations on the sale and delivery of cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products.? This bill has been referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee, where it is currently under review.

As the Senate considers this legislation, please be assured that I will keep your thoughts and concerns in mind.? I hope that you will continue to share your views with us in the years ahead.

I would also invite you to visit my website at www.webb.senate.gov for regular updates about my activities and positions on matters that are important to Virginia and our nation.

Thank you once again for contacting my office.

Sincerely,

Jim Webb
United States Senator

abhowe

Moved On
Sep 14, 2009
E-Cigs are not tobaco products...... I saw my doctor and got a prescription for inhalation nicotine for medicinal purposes...... Medicines go through the mail everyday....... My e-cigs are the medical apparatus to which I receive my medication........ Just took care of that one...... Technically E-Cigs are nothing more than batteries or battery holders...... Don't see how they can make atomizers illegal...... I think people worry too much......
No tobaco, no fire and no smoke...... Nicotine and caffine are cousins, make one illegal, got to make the other illegal too......

Pumaman

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2009
Hmm... I should write back to thank him for listening.

Won't hurt. My wife was a Constituent case worker for a Congressman for 2 years. It also helps to tie your concern to their particular situation and party affiliation. For a Republican, especially very conservative ones, tying your concern to something like infringement on personal liberties will resonate more then, say, the potential costs of smoking for the "soon to be here" public option. For a Democrat, that will work better than complaining about intrusive big government. If you can connect it to something else they are fighting for, all the better.

ladybug

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2009
northern calif.
What makes you think it's not the next thing coming
They will be taxing wiping your ... soon
lmao! I thought almost the same thing! Also I didn't understand the please tax me cuz I quit smoking,I would never agree to that kinda crap! I quit smoking because of the high sin tax! The government wants our money,now they want to tax soda and juice! It just gets crazier every day:)!

ladybug

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2009
northern calif.
If I could get an FDA approval and know my e-juice isn't 33% rat spit, sign me up for a tax.
Pumaman,the government and FDA are corrupt and rotten to the bones! All they want is your hard earned money! I feel the government should just plain get the heck out of my life and stop taxing the heck outta me!I would never invite the FDA to regulate anything for me. I think we are all old enough and big enough to think for ourselves,no big brother for me:)

Pumaman

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2009
Pumaman,the government and FDA are corrupt and rotten to the bones! All they want is your hard earned money! I feel the government should just plain get the heck out of my life and stop taxing the heck outta me!
Agreed

I would never invite the FDA to regulate anything for me. I think we are all old enough and big enough to think for ourselves,no big brother for me:)
Not so agreed. My post from another thread:

Ok, not that there isn't a crapload of posts on this already, but I too am tired of the whining about the FDA, but for different reasons. Here is my rebuttal in support of the FDA. (Let the flaming begin).

I LIKE going to the supermarket and knowing that the bottle of Advil I am buying has exactly what it says and that every third pill isn't concrete dust or rat droppings. I LIKE that anyone can't just put paprika in a gel cap and tell you it will make you 10 years younger. I LIKE that there is someone, even an agency as flawed as the FDA, policing big pharma so I know that erections that last over 4 hours are bad, 'cause that certainly would not have been my first guess.

What I DON'T like is the stated position that e-cigs are a new drug and must undergo the full process. There is nothing new in them, even the trace elements of the nasty stuff in their own tests. I DON'T like that their main motivations are political in this regard and not in the best interests of the public good. But it isn't really even their fault. They have 2 choices in regards to anything under their jurisdiction, approved or not approved. How then can they possibly say e-cigs are approved when they have NO studies to base this decision upon? Lets be real, is there anyone who is 100% confident that their latest batch of China juice doesn't contain asbestos or ground up kittens? That the next company to produce 510 atty knock offs would never use lead based solder? And yes, I know there are domestic producers who use USP products etc, but most are mixing them up in their kitchens with no over site, you think mistakes cant happen?

I have no intention of stopping because of any of this, but lets not pretend that this is something it isn't. I hope to one day buy juice that is exactly as labeled every time, atomizers that don't last 1 month, plus or minus one month, batteries I am sure will work out of the box. But that is a ways off at best.

Ok, start slamming.

Not that I Like ANY new taxes, but in this case I would take that trade-off.

samliang

Moved On
Oct 27, 2009
  • Deleted by ZambucaLu

BardicDruid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Central Texas
Dunno what everyone getting excited about this for, it's actually on the roster twice. The first is S. 1147 and then again as H.R. 1676, both have passed the House but are setting on a shelve in the Senate. According to GovTrac.us both have read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary. After checking their agendas neither are even listed to be reviewed this session. So when the session ends, they both die.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
BardicDruid, I too think we have time on this one. Take a look at that poll on GovTrack and you'll see the most lopsided vote possible on any issue! (And I hope everyone here voted in that poll and left a comment, which IMO will do more for our cause than soliciting form letter replies from underlings of elected officials!).

This is a very unpopular issue with the populace; it can become popular only if states continue to become desperate for state and local taxes, and push Congress for passage. At this time, I expect no action this year. This is VERY unpopular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread