• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

UK Regulation of E-Cigs - Petition

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks deewal
and agree your quote:
Maybe we have become so apathetic because we have become used to our Freedom being taken from us bit by bit

but am heartened by the strength of character I see on the UK forums
( I've been lurking around and learning) and believe Kate (if I may be so bold)&co will save us all

really sorry Jackie P, I called it a US petition only because its marked as such on vapersnetwork don't mean to be a berk so soon

lovely quote from deewal
"Oh! what a tangled web we weave: When first we practise to deceive! ... " Robert Burns.
Alan

Caesarea

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
UK
The end section of the consultation letter - Page 16 onwards might be the draft IA? and has a lot about Impact assessments.
http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/idcplg?...065618&RevisionSelectionMethod=LatestReleased

Can't claim to have understood it all on the basis of 2 readings. Looks as though the firms consulted have at the moment the right to reply with their comments on assessment of the impact. For example costings for 12 manufacturers to submit their products for licensing are laid out by the MHRA document.

Sorry can't be of more help on this ckc. Hope someone else will chime in.

C.

Last edited:

ckc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2009
UK
Thankyou thats it, i've read so much today!

18. We do not envisage any increased costs for the public if these unlicensed products are regulated as medicines as the cost of smokeless cigarettes and the cost of an NRT product are around the same price so the public would just need to get their product from either a general sale outlet or a pharmacy.

Mmmmmm, so are E-cigs.....smokeless cigarettes?

Para 24 could i have that in english please,blimey!

I haven't read it all yet but it looks as though i shall be placing a large order fairly soon.Based on whats written.

Caesarea

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
UK

saseagle

Feb 13, 2009
Hi, I havn't posted here before but felt that what the UK government is trying to do is wrong and needs to be answered.

I tried everything to stop smoking over the years

Patches (to many at one time which made me feel dizzy, 1 just was not enough)
hypnosis (worked for about 4-5 days them I was craving for a smoke again)
acupuncture (won't be trying that again)
nicotine gum (tasted worse that anything I can remember)
will power (well that certainly didn't work)

then I tried an electronic cig and within 3 days I was off normal cigarettes. To me that proves that they do work, I can now have a smoke without the worry about my health which was not to good up till then. I took a lung function test about 3 months ago (run by the heart and lung foundation) and my lung capacity was in excess of that for a male of my age and build. Approx. 4 years ago I took the same lung capacity test and my lung capacity was approx 18% below average, you have got to agree it proves my lungs are clearing and all down to e-cigs. I have signed the petition and only hope the goverment does not put finances before LIFE. The E-cig can help anybody that is a smoker either break the habit or enjoy a cigarette in relative safety, hell we can walk across the road a get mowed down by a drunk driver are they going to ban cars!

All the best
Les

deewal

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2008
In a house.
Hi and Welcome saseagle and Tinkerbell.
That's a great response Les. Now if you hav'nt already Go Here......
MLXs: Medicines consultation letters : MHRA

and fill in the Response form for MLX 364.
Les, you could just copy what you've written below and paste it into the form which opens when you press the Response Link.
Tinkerbell you can spell Genius so you can write your own response. :)
We need to batter these people with Responses.
Again Welcome. Have a good look around and Thanks for getting onboard.
dee

watfordjc

Mar 31, 2009
Got a reply from my MEP saying it was nothing to do with her and to write to my MP.....which I have but takes about 8 months to respond....:(

moog, at least you got a response.

My MP and Mayor haven't responded yet, and only one of my MEPs have (UKIP).

Prospective UKIP candidate was only one of those standing in the coming election (including current MP) to somewhat respond... basically said it was from the EU so he'd pass it on to a UKIP MEP.

Might be the reason that MEP's Office responded since he'd gotten a direct e-mail from me and one indirectly from the UKIP candidate.

"Thank you for your long and detailed briefing about nicotine containing products and the proposed legislation. Rest assured that your views have been noted and that our MEPs will bear them in mind when any relevant legislation comes before the European Parliament.

"As a general rule, we vote against EU legislation as our MEPs were elected on a platform of withdrawal from the European Union. We are very much opposed to an unelected European Commission producing legislation which becomes binding on the British people. "

Pretty much a "we vote no to everything in Europe anyway" response, IMO. What I wonder, though, is whether I've been too hard on what I've wrote about them elsewhere.

Just because Mr Eardley has never smoked and doesn't know anything about electronic cigarettes, and the UKIP MEPs vote against legislation anyway, the fact they all read what I sent them has hopefully highlighted the issues to them - and possibly some of those opinions/issues might be voiced in political debates. And the fact Mr Agnew's Office used the plural MEPs in his response might mean my e-mail was forwarded to others.

If I was a conspiracy theorist, I'd say I've not gotten a response from anyone else (nor how Mr Eardley and Mr Agnew really feel about e-cigs) because they either aren't entirely bothered or their respective parties don't have a position on them and don't want to voice their own views. Shame no independents are standing in Watford.

John.

Deschain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2009
England
My MLX submission....

To whom it may concern.

I am 37 years old, I smoked around 20 cigeretes a day for the past 25 years until October of 2009.

After years of failed attempts to quit smoking I was able to completely cease this destructive habit within two days of recieving my first electronic cigerette, since that time, I have reaped the benefits of not smoking these government sanctioned killers of thousands of people every year (cigeretes) I am no longer pumping the 4000 lethal chemicals and carcinigens into my body with every puff I take.

I would like to state that since taking up "vaping" electronic cigerettes I have recovered my taste, my sense of smell and I have seen a vast improvement to my general health and well being.

I no longer smell of smoke
I can breath far more freely and deeply
I have better circulation
I have more energy and stamina
I do not go to bed and spend ten minutes coughing up phlegm so I can breath properly before sleeping
I do not wake up coughing
I do not polute other peoples air with lethal second hand smoke

And several other improvements.

I cannot believe that these electronic devices are under threat when they have helped so many people like myself cease smoking, they are harm reduction devices, they offer hundreds of thousands of people a real chance to cease smoking, they have the potential to save millions of lives over the next few years, to ban these devices would be a crime IMO. You must not ban these devices or make them harder or financially harder to obtain.

Thank you for reading this

Hardly high art, I know, but I've tried to be polite and to the point. :)

ckc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2009
UK
The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health - MHRA consultation on the regulation of nicotine containing products

The CIEH is welcoming this opportunity for serious consideration to be given to how these hazardous products can either be effectively controlled or removed from the market entirely. The sale and use of these unlicensed and largely uncontrolled products, including children’s access to them, has been a cause for concern for too long. Last September the chief executives of CIEH, TSI and Lacors wrote jointly to the Department of Health calling for just such a review.

myrtlemeva

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2009
Have just emailed Mr Gray of the above Institute asking him to clarify his use of the word "hazardous" and asking him to think about his "what about the children" stance. It's obvious that organisations such as this are just jumping on the anti e-cig bandwagon without even considering the implications of what they're doing.
Suggest we bombard him with emails ----- XXXXXX :grr:

cpistilli2

Feb 4, 2010
sw florida
keep it up guys....this is my third week without smokes and i can already feel the difference...and don't except some of the defeatist attitudes posted....over hear in the usa, our majority party "the democrats"...which i assume is similar to your labor party, is about to get voted out of office due to growing opposition to there policies. the last thing these "liberals", and i use that term loosely because i have never seen them liberate any one, is a bunch of angry constituents, who are loosing there jobs and homes, and having a nic fit at the same time....ive been telling my friends for the last few years now that the only choice these people are for is abortion.......sucks to be right some times you know.......20 bucks says obama puffs an e-ni every day.

threespeed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2008
Birmingham, uk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread