Ultrasonic Cleaning of Atomizers - The VERY BEST way !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
I didn't buy the Haier HU335W--the ratings for the reliability of this unit were poor on amazon.com. The ratings on the Trent 3800 were much better, but the specs were the same and only $35. I bought the Trent from amazon.com and have used it for jewelry and eyeglasses. It does a fantastic job. When I get enough used attys together I'll try it on them with my $10/1.75 liter ABC vodka.

The Trent looks good to me as well. And I love the idea of finally cleaning my "ciggy" covered jewelry.

ShoeQueen

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2011
Midwest
Wanted to share - Harbor freight is having a sale on their Ultrasonic Cleaner, which looks like the one Texas told us about. It's only $24.99. It's on backorder on the site, but my local Harbor Freight had it in stock. I got the last two, one for me and one for my parents.

Here's the description:
Ultrasonic Cleaner, Item # 3305 Manufacturer: Chicago Electric Power Tools
Ultrasonic 42,000 cycle energy wave deep-cleans jewelry and small parts without heat or flammable solvents. Safe, gentle and thorough.

So check your local store!

AnaCat

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2011
Chicago, IL
I'm interested in getting an ultrasonic cleaner, but I'm worried that it will ruin the finish on my ego-t attys. I read on another post somewhere that someone did have that problem with an atty (don't know what kind of atty it was). Anyone know if it's safe with an ego-t atty? Also, is everclear or vodka a must, or will distilled water do? Thanks!

Panky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2011
Miami
I'm interested in getting an ultrasonic cleaner, but I'm worried that it will ruin the finish on my ego-t attys. I read on another post somewhere that someone did have that problem with an atty (don't know what kind of atty it was).

I wouldn't think that it would ruin it unless that person used a cleaner that was too strong. Your best bet would be to either try it on an old atty or maybe on one of the silver ones. The silver looks like it is just metal. I actually just got my ego-t on monday and this seems to be the only easy way to clean it without having to pull out the wick and all so I might give this a try.

Cat_in_the_Playground

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I'll definitely be buying one. I have some eGo-T attys that can use a good cleaning. I have done a simple cleaning (blow out, water rinse, PGA soak, water rinse, dry burn, water rinse...) and that didn't seem to get them back to "like new" vaping. I was dreading taking them apart to clean them. This sounds like my answer. Thank you to the OP for sharing this easy-peasy method!

ShoeQueen

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2011
Midwest
I'm interested in getting an ultrasonic cleaner, but I'm worried that it will ruin the finish on my ego-t attys. I read on another post somewhere that someone did have that problem with an atty (don't know what kind of atty it was). Anyone know if it's safe with an ego-t atty? Also, is everclear or vodka a must, or will distilled water do? Thanks!

I figured I'd be the guinea pig. I cleaned my red eGo-T atty in some cheapy vodka yesterday, blew it out like suggested in the OP. I set it on the counter to dry over night. This morning I filled a brand new tank and fired it up. For continuities sake I used the very first ejuice I vaped in an eGo-T, Berry Berry from Vixen Vapors (On Sale this week!). Fun fact - it's a 60%VG/40%PG mix I had on hand, a much larger VG ratio then is recommended for a tank.

The result?

It vaped like a champ! Great vapor, tons of flavor! Performing like a brand-spanking-new tank. I was duly impressed!

The downside, that pretty red finish held up pretty good, but I have a few minors specks where I can see the stainless steel underneath. I concluded about 2 weeks ago, that all our new attys will be in stainless. I've seen the change in finish happen on another atty that had a vodka soak.

My conclusion, totally worth it. I know the aesethic appeal of a single color PV, but I care more about the performance. I've had luck stripping that finish off a battery already, so this atty will be next.

As for distilled water, I tried another atty in distilled water, still waiting for it to dry. But I notice that the atty retained the scent of the previous juice. I think vodka may offer the most through cleaning, as the eGo-T atty I tested this on has no scent after cleaning.

For 25 buck this has to be the easiest way to clean these little suckers without completely dismantling them. In my book that's a bargain!

ninogui

Feb 8, 2011
Lisbon (Lisboa)
Hi guys

Funny I had a ultrasonic cleaner already ordered arriving next week before I notice this post. I might be over the top but this is what is ordered. My plan is to activate a 2 to 3 minute cycle on destilled water with a pint of iso alcool, the attys kept in a lab matrix plastic basket made specifically for ultrasound/cavitation cleaning and then mouth rinse with warm water (as I usually do)

I guess any ultrasound cleaning must be performed only on materials with less than 99,99% water in composition (like metals) otherwise the component might "explode" or basically fall apart, and it makes sense.. plastics have a higher percentage of water in the composition, so if a drip tip has like 0,1% or 0,5% water.. it breaks apart!

Stainless Steel Ultrasonic Cleaner 1.3L Mini style Ultrasonic power 70W
Main Features
4 sets of powerful transducers for your choice
Unique NC Heating function
Full stainless steel housing,Durable High-grade
Built-in Constant temperature system
Excellent waterproof
Idea for Electronic workshop; Industrial and mining enterprises; Laboratories; Hospitals; Watch shop; Optical shop; Jewelers; Mobile shops;Family etc.
Package Content
1 x Ultrasonic Cleaner
Specification
Cleaner
Ordinary tap-water/Alcohol/solvent
NC Heat
30W
Ultrasonic power
70W
Power supplier
AC100 ~ 120V, 50/60Hz; AC220 ~ 240V,50/60Hz
Timer
1 ~ 30 minutes(Digital control)
Ultrasonic frequency
40000Hz
Inner container
Stainless Steel SUS304
Tank Capacity
1.3L
Washing Basket
Selectable
Cleaning objects
Electronics/Glassware/Auto Parts/Dental Equipment/Watches/ Glasses/Jewelry/Shaving/Cutlery/Bottle etc.
Size (LxWxH)
18.0cm x 16.5cm x 20.5cm
Gross Weight
2.750kg

DUC-020-2SV_1.jpg

vape away! or should I say ultrasoundatty away ?

Last edited:

Jacinda222

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2010
Salt Lake, Utah
I just went and picked up one from my local Harbor Freight, and I must say this thing rocks! I didn't have any atties that needed immediate cleaning, so I just put a couple of my already-cleaned ones (eGo-Ts, had run them through alcohol, dry burn and hot water bath) in with plain old cold water. I couldn't believe how much gunk came out with just one three-minute cycle!

Thanks for the awesome tip!!

:toast:

Cat_in_the_Playground

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Atlanta, GA
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...9915-new-ego-tank-system-221.html#post2947367

They are using Crest mouthwash to clean the eGo-t tanks in their ultrasonic jewelry cleaners.

Hi, Cat. Long time no see... :)

Hey Katya! I read the post about using the Crest mouthwash, but noticed that they then had to clean the mouthwash taste from the atty. That seems like an unnecessary step if just use PGA/vodka, etc. Unless that particular Crest mouthwash is an alcohol-free kind, most mouthwashes have a large amount of alcohol in them. I'm assuming that the mouthwash used was not alcohol-free; therefore, using plain old vodka or PGA would work just fine (and probably at half the cost).

RE: the concern about finishes. I rarely have my nails painted, but did the last time I cleaned my attys. The first batch I cleaned were regular 510 attys and I used IPA. After having my fingers swishing the atty around in it for about 10 min, my polish was starting to peel up at the ends and had a matte white appearance over the polish. When I soaked my eGo T attys, I used PGA. I only got my fingers in the alcohol for <30 sec when I filled it up and let the alcohol run out the battery end to make sure it had a good stream. When I looked at my fingers that were in the PGA, most of my nail polish had come off those fingers! And people drink this stuff! I can only imagine what someone's stomach says when it encounters this stuff. Anyway, based on what the PGA did to my nail polish, I would suspect that it could do some damage to the finish on an atty. I am thinking when I get my cleaner, I'll use a 50/50 blend of PGA and filtered water. That should still get it clean, remove any residual odor/taste of old juices, yet preserve the finish.

Panky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2011
Miami
Yup, I am definately going to pick one of these up along with some everclear or something. I just dread messing with the wick in my atty so this seems to be the perfect way to clean it when the time comes. I have only had the thing for a few days and still have the aftermarcket atty that came with it so I am really not too worried about it at the moment but when the time comes, this sounds like the method I will use.

IOU

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2010
Laguna Beach, California
This is a great thread!
I bought one after the OP posted this thread and I gotta tell you, attys, carts and even cartos never tasted and worked so good! I even put all my new stuff in it before I use it. Works fantastic for removing juice or primer.
I use the cheapest vodka I can find and it is really a time and money saver!

Rosco

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2010
KCMO:>)
This is a great thread!
I bought one after the OP posted this thread and I gotta tell you, attys, carts and even cartos never tasted and worked so good! I even put all my new stuff in it before I use it. Works fantastic for removing juice or primer.
I use the cheapest vodka I can find and it is really a time and money saver!

That's certainly a good, positive review. I've seen others ask how this would work on cartomizers. Sure simplifies the cleaning process considerably.:thumb:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hey Katya! I read the post about using the Crest mouthwash, but noticed that they then had to clean the mouthwash taste from the atty. That seems like an unnecessary step if just use PGA/vodka, etc. Unless that particular Crest mouthwash is an alcohol-free kind, most mouthwashes have a large amount of alcohol in them. I'm assuming that the mouthwash used was not alcohol-free; therefore, using plain old vodka or PGA would work just fine (and probably at half the cost).

I agree. I use alcohol to clean mine. However, there are people out there who don't (or can't) be around alcohol for various reasons, so I just thought it would be nice to let them know that there are other options that work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread