Ultrasonic Cleaning of Atomizers - The VERY BEST way !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

skorpios1027

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2011
West Jordan, UT
I just ordered one from eBay (I figure with this thread, we're all bidding against each other - LOL). I found one BIN for $27 with free shipping. I can't wait to try it to get my tank attys clean. I clean my regular 510 attys by soaking in IPA, but the same just doesn't seem to get the tank attys back to new. I may even try a carto. I tried cleaning my cartos the old fashioned way (boiling, oven drying) and they were all DOA afterwards - every last one (not too much of a loss, since I wasn't going to use them in their current condition anyway). I figure if this revives them - great! If not, they were no longer usable anyway.

Question - I have seen various answers given about dry burn after u/s cleaning. Is it necessary to do a dry burn after u/s cleaning? Or will the u/s cleaning remove the junk from the coils? Anyone taken one apart after u/s cleaning to see if the coils get clean with this method rendering a dry burn unnecessary?

Thx!

It has been my experience (limited as it is) that the ultrasonic cleaner did not do a good job of removing the gunk off the coil of my tank atty. I will admit though my coil is extremely caked (it looks to be double the size of a new coil) and may need many more cycles to break it up.

skorpios1027

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2011
West Jordan, UT
Do you take off the top plate where the wick is before running thru the ultrasonic? And if so, how did you get it off? I have a dental pick and can't get them off:(
RIMP:evil:

I had taken the plate off (I grabbed the needle with a small pair of forceps) because I needed to replace the wick. That is when I saw how badly gunked it was. I'd rather not have to because I just can't seem to get the knack of making new wicks:(

expat

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
Arkansas
I had already decided on ultrasonics to clean attys and ordered this last week and received it today (fast free shipping). It included Duracell AA's. Obviously not as robust as Harbor Freight, etc.

UltraSonic Jewelry Dental Cleaner + Batteries | eBay

But it gets the job done. Three cycles and attys came out shiny new, deep inside too.

I tried to buy Everclear, but it's banned in NY so I bought 196 proof Polish vodka.

After cleaning, just blow out and atty is totally dry due to high evaporation. Best of all, ZERO aftertaste.

My little unit is cheap and gets the job done bought for really well.

Thanks for the great tip! I ordered one of these from this eBay seller...9.99 shipped free and here within 3 days...including batteries. Happy Camper!

Cat_in_the_Playground

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the great tip! I ordered one of these from this eBay seller...9.99 shipped free and here within 3 days...including batteries. Happy Camper!

I saw this one on eBay too, but it wasn't the strength that the OP recommended (it was much weaker). According to the OP, the unit should do 42,000 waves per minute (or was it second?). If the one you got was the same one I looked at, it is only 5,800 waves. Maybe this one will do okay with the recommended 3x3minute cleaning cycles. Or maybe since it is weaker, it may take several more cycles to achieve the same effect. Guess you'll just have to try it and see.

k3vin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
OK USA
www.vaperstek.org
I have been doing this to my attys,about once a week.IT works great,thanks to the OP for a great idea..ALthough I am using one my wife has had for MANY years..the sucker wants to walk right off the cabinet.lol...

I would say maybe once a week..YMMV..But once a week I would think is a good average?!?!

Last edited:

pixiedust

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2011
Nevada
I ordered a "Sonic Wave 2800" From meritline.com for $19.95 w free shipping. I just got it today and I love it. I've been cleaning everything in it..dual coil cartos, atty's, syringes, pipettes - even my eyeglasses. All I'm using is hot water and it's getting all the odor out of the attys and cartomizers in 2 cycles. I think it's going to be one of those purchases that I end up wondering how I ever lived without it =)

(Meritline had a $10 coupon for these when I ordered it, their regular price is $29.95.)

Rosco

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2010
KCMO:>)
I ordered a "Sonic Wave 2800" From meritline.com for $19.95 w free shipping. I just got it today and I love it. I've been cleaning everything in it..dual coil cartos, atty's, syringes, pipettes - even my eyeglasses. All I'm using is hot water and it's getting all the odor out of the attys and cartomizers in 2 cycles. I think it's going to be one of those purchases that I end up wondering how I ever lived without it =)

(Meritline had a $10 coupon for these when I ordered it, their regular price is $29.95.)

Sure wish I had know that....was it posted here?

Alakar

Apr 6, 2011
Milwaukee, WI
I've been using the cleaner from Harbor Freight, but instead of vodka, I use white vinegar and hot water on my atty's. Works really well. I use a 50/50 mix water to vinegar then rinse in hot water and blow them out. No real vinegar taste is left after this and the atty's are spotless. Cartridges and stuffing I clean in Everclear. Really removes the taste of any juice residue.

AnaCat

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2011
Chicago, IL
Well, doing 3 cycles and vodka, it took the paint off of all 3 of my 510 attys in chunks. It looked like it tried to take the paint off the matte ego-t attys (sticker, whatever the stuff is that makes the matte ego-t attys colored). Weird thing was that the matte color bunched up and looked like it would peel off, but when it dried for a few seconds, it went back to normal. Very bizarre! The satin finished ego-t attys didn't look like the paint was affected at all. It didn't get the smell of some of the stronger juices out, so I think 3 cycles isn't enough, but I do really worry about the paint coming off! Using the New Trent Sonic Wave (42,000 cycle wave). The vodka was pretty discolored (weak iced tea color) after the 3 cycles, and when I blew the attys out, the fluid still had color. Any idea how many cycles I should try? Am I the only one losing paint?

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Well, doing 3 cycles and vodka, it took the paint off of all 3 of my 510 attys in chunks. It looked like it tried to take the paint off the matte ego-t attys (sticker, whatever the stuff is that makes the matte ego-t attys colored). Weird thing was that the matte color bunched up and looked like it would peel off, but when it dried for a few seconds, it went back to normal. Very bizarre! The satin finished ego-t attys didn't look like the paint was affected at all. It didn't get the smell of some of the stronger juices out, so I think 3 cycles isn't enough, but I do really worry about the paint coming off! Using the New Trent Sonic Wave (42,000 cycle wave). The vodka was pretty discolored (weak iced tea color) after the 3 cycles, and when I blew the attys out, the fluid still had color. Any idea how many cycles I should try? Am I the only one losing paint?

I've been using the New Trent as well. Today I did cartos, which to me, are more difficult to clean than attys. Rinsed them under hot water, blew out, rinsed, blew, etc. Prolly a 'no no' in this thread, but then I boiled them for 5 minutes, rinse, blow out. Boiled again. Blew out once more. Put them in the New Trent for 3 minutes in vodka. Blew them out, baked in the over (VERY LOW HEAT), and done! Took me longer to type this than the entire procedure, LOL.

daisyd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2010
Az
I have this jewelry cleaner already. I have 2 questions. It is listed as sonic, not ultrasonic, will it work on attys and CE2's? Also, I haven't been using it on my pearl wedding ring because you aren't supposed to use an ultrasonic on pearl jewelry. If it's sonic and not ultrasonic, can I use it on pearls? TIA

Connoisseurs Sonic Jewelry Bath Cordless Cleaner Set 103505#

BaronRocco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2011
Conroe, TX
For all (and this may answer your question as well, daisyd)
I waited to test out this type of cleaning on cartomizers until someone posted, but couldn't wait anymore, lol. So here we go.

I picked up a Connoissers LaSonic Supreme Sonic Jewelry cleaner from Wally-world (Clearance for $15.00). It did not list the frequency, so I contacted the makers, to which the response was "This machine does not pulse at a given frequency, but instead uses electrical soundwaves to agitate whatever solution(s) are used.

Either way, putting on 9 minute cycles did NOTHING with this device. So I experimented, and succeded (I think).
Here is what *I* did (Y.M.M.V.):
I use straight-up Everclear, fill the cups to the fill line and away we go.

ATOMIZERS: (Do not pile as they do move about) -Ran on "low setting" for @ 10 mins.
-Let rest in the liquid for @ 5 mins.
-Run on high for 15 minutes.
-Take out, blow excess through the threaded end and put on paper towel (threaded end up) to let dry.
Afterwards, could see little nasty bits floating, and discoloration, of the Everclear.

CARTOMIZERS: (Again, leave room for them to move about)
-Soak in liquid for 5 mins.
-Run on low for 10 mins.
-Rest 5 mins.
-Run on high for 10 mins.
-Take out, blow excess through the threaded end and put on paper towel (threaded end up) to let dry. *These you have to let dry for at LEAST 24hrs, 48 is better*
Afterwards, Everclear is left VERY murky/discolored, and now smells like fruit-flavored EC (I like the fruitier juices).
I may have to run these through again, as there was still a tiny bit of color still left behind on the polyfill. tastes fine though.

Conclusion: For attys, it rocked! For Cartos, I may have a little more experimenting to do, and then again the boil method may be the best for cartomizers, as it takes the flavor AND color out in the first go. This does do the job though!

Hope that helps someone out!

~Be Well!
BaronRocco

alldayvape

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2011
Maryland
The Connoissers LaSonic Supreme Sonic Jewelry is NOT a ultra sonic cleaner. I would expect the results with a Ultrasonic Cleaner to be much better.

Is this one you got?
41aWcjCoCYL._SS500_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread