Ultrasonic Cleaning of Atomizers - The VERY BEST way !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had already decided on ultrasonics to clean attys and ordered this last week and received it today (fast free shipping). It included Duracell AA's. Obviously not as robust as Harbor Freight, etc.

UltraSonic Jewelry Dental Cleaner + Batteries | eBay

But it gets the job done. Three cycles and attys came out shiny new, deep inside too.

I tried to buy Everclear, but it's banned in NY so I bought 196 proof Polish vodka.

After cleaning, just blow out and atty is totally dry due to high evaporation. Best of all, ZERO aftertaste.

My little unit is cheap and gets the job done bought for really well.

Last edited:

MaxUT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Ogden, UT, US
I've been cleaning attys with an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner for about a year now. At first I used Crest mouthwash, but had trouble getting the "minty fresh" taste out of the attys. I switched to cleaning with distilled water instead, heating it to near boiling before pouring it into the tank. I usually run (5) 3-minute cycles for a total of 15 minutes of cleaning time.

The procedure that seems to work best is:
1) rinse the juice out of the attys by running hot tap water through them
2) place attys in the tank, fill the tank with hot distilled water, run the cleaner for a number of cycles
3) remove attys, do the "thermometer shake" on them to remove water
4) let dry for a day or two

Next step for non-LR attys only:
5) Dry burn
Then repeat steps 1-4 above to remove ash from coil.

If you want to use one right after cleaning, place a carto condom over the batt end, stand it up and fill it halfway with PG. Let it set for a few minutes. Place your thumb over the cart end and shake well, then pour out the PG and blow through the atty. Prime with juice and vape.

I prefer using non-painted attys because the cleaning will begin removing the finish right from the start. You will start seeing little flakes of paint in the tank, and some of those will probably drift into the atty and get stuck there. After 3-4 cleanings most of the paint will be gone.

MaxUT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Ogden, UT, US
Hey Quittin,

Vodka should work okay for cartos, fact is I was going to try that myself. It would take vodka to get that old overcooked juice out of the stuffing. Don't think the carto sticker would survive the bath however, so it might be better to skin them first. Someone said to put them in the fridge for awhile, get them cold, then you can pull the sticker off together with the stickum. Worth a try.

I'd be downright leery of using pure grain alcohol, because fumes off the cleaner tank could catch fire pretty easy.

StuckinLA

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2010
Winston Salem, NC
I was thinking I had read that someone used ultrasonic cleaners for cartomizers. I'd like to ask someone who really has tried cleaning cartomizers. It works great for attys tho.

yea I be interested to know that too and if it might work with the eGo Tank atomizers as well

ninogui

Feb 8, 2011
Lisbon (Lisboa)
Hi guys

Funny I had a ultrasonic cleaner already ordered arriving next week before I notice this post. I might be over the top but this is what is ordered. My plan is to activate a 2 to 3 minute cycle on destilled water with a pint of iso alcool, the attys kept in a lab matrix plastic basket made specifically for ultrasound/cavitation cleaning and then mouth rinse with warm water (as I usually do)

I guess any ultrasound cleaning must be performed only on materials with less than 99,99% water in composition (like metals) otherwise the component might "explode" or basically fall apart, and it makes sense.. plastics have a higher percentage of water in the composition, so if a drip tip has like 0,1% or 0,5% water.. it breaks apart!

Stainless Steel Ultrasonic Cleaner 1.3L Mini style Ultrasonic power 70W
Main Features
4 sets of powerful transducers for your choice
Unique NC Heating function
Full stainless steel housing,Durable High-grade
Built-in Constant temperature system
Excellent waterproof
Idea for Electronic workshop; Industrial and mining enterprises; Laboratories; Hospitals; Watch shop; Optical shop; Jewelers; Mobile shops;Family etc.
Package Content
1 x Ultrasonic Cleaner
Specification
Cleaner
Ordinary tap-water/Alcohol/solvent
NC Heat
30W
Ultrasonic power
70W
Power supplier
AC100 ~ 120V, 50/60Hz; AC220 ~ 240V,50/60Hz
Timer
1 ~ 30 minutes(Digital control)
Ultrasonic frequency
40000Hz
Inner container
Stainless Steel SUS304
Tank Capacity
1.3L
Washing Basket
Selectable
Cleaning objects
Electronics/Glassware/Auto Parts/Dental Equipment/Watches/ Glasses/Jewelry/Shaving/Cutlery/Bottle etc.
Size (LxWxH)
18.0cm x 16.5cm x 20.5cm
Gross Weight
2.750kg

vape away! or should I say ultrasoundatty away ?

Just to post a little follow up on this so that you know, I tried all the way and...

I´m totally blown away and impressed! this thingy totally rocks!

This is how I did my procedure

- First rinsed the attys on warm water and mouth blown them with warm water from both sides
- filled the ultrasonic cub with 0,5lt destiled water
- dropped about 30ml of isopropyl alcool on thop and stired
- let it warm up to about 60ºC (this one has automatic temp setting)
- dropped the atty´s, coton filler, clearomizers, cartomizers, drip tips, 510 adapters, tanks, ego-t tanks, o-rings etc etc
- let it run for 2 stage 3 mins each
- finally took them off, water/mouth rinsed them once again
- dry burned them as usual

Now every piece is totally clean including the tweezers I used to move and handle them while in the cub! note some of the stuff had the black sleeve but with careful handling it did´nt fall apart

tried a couple of them with new liquid and they are all brand better than new now!

while at it turned on the soldering iron and micro-soldered one of the small clearomizers contact which got cut somehow along the process (at the solder spot), working back again

I´m so impressed I plan on offering this service to my future shop´s customers! on the basis of

"buy one/any single item from the shop and bring your attos for a free cleaning and revival!"

local customers will benefit of course! lol

happy happy!

best rgds

Last edited:

Cat_in_the_Playground

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I just ordered one from eBay (I figure with this thread, we're all bidding against each other - LOL). I found one BIN for $27 with free shipping. I can't wait to try it to get my tank attys clean. I clean my regular 510 attys by soaking in IPA, but the same just doesn't seem to get the tank attys back to new. I may even try a carto. I tried cleaning my cartos the old fashioned way (boiling, oven drying) and they were all DOA afterwards - every last one (not too much of a loss, since I wasn't going to use them in their current condition anyway). I figure if this revives them - great! If not, they were no longer usable anyway.

Question - I have seen various answers given about dry burn after u/s cleaning. Is it necessary to do a dry burn after u/s cleaning? Or will the u/s cleaning remove the junk from the coils? Anyone taken one apart after u/s cleaning to see if the coils get clean with this method rendering a dry burn unnecessary?

Thx!

Rar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2011
Champlain Valley, NY
My ultrasonic cleaner is coming today and I have a couple of questions:
1. Can I use distilled water instead of vodka? Will it get as clean?
2. Do I still have to do the dry burn after the cycles?
3. Do I have to change the water or vodka for each cycle?
4. Can I use this method to remove the primer from my new attys?

emanguba

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2010
Virginia
1. I use water...cleans just fine (I use to use Crest mouthwash but it always gave an aftertaste).
2. Are you talking about cartos or attys? For cartos, yes, dry burning whitens the wick. For attys, you can dry burn it to lessen the moisture, or just let it air dry.
3. I change out every few days or so (if your water looks dirty, then dump it).
4. Yes, it will remove the primer off the new atty.

Rosco

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2010
KCMO:>)
My ultrasonic cleaner is coming today and I have a couple of questions:
1. Can I use distilled water instead of vodka? Will it get as clean?

Sure...results of course will always vary tho. Vodka cleans better on some that distilled water does. It will always depend on the condition of the atty being cleaned.
2. Do I still have to do the dry burn after the cycles?

I did not. You should be able to see what it looks like. Dry burn is designed to burn off the gunk. No gunk - No need to burn

3. Do I have to change the water or vodka for each cycle?

Kinda like giving kids a bath. Do you change the water between cleaning? I do - who wants to clean something with dirty water. But, I may do a couple cycles before I change IF the atty wasn't too bad to begin with. I always see what the solution looks like after cleaning. If it's really dirty, then I should do another cycle...with clean solution.
4. Can I use this method to remove the primer from my new attys?

Most definitely.

Cat_in_the_Playground

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Rar;3051229 <<SNIP>> 2. Do I still have to do the dry burn after the cycles? [COLOR="red" said:
I did not. You should be able to see what it looks like. Dry burn is designed to burn off the gunk. No gunk - No need to burn[/COLOR]
<<SNIP>>[/COLOR]

But you can't see the gunk (only the wick) in a tank atty (at least not w/o taking it apart, which is what I'm trying to avoid with this method)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread