Update:ny child dies of nicotine poisoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Yes, BUT.....

To what extent is the danger of nicotine in e-liquid to children known? It's almost never stated prominently on bottles, and we, as users, tend to be quite blase about it - noting that we have considerable tolerance to it from prior smoking.

Hmm. I normally subscribe to the view that we should act responsibly and keep dangerous things out of the reach of children. This goes all the way from guns and knives through to household bleach, butane canisters, and indeed cigarettes. Dangers lurk everywhere for kids - but does that mean that we should cover all unused power sockets to prevent them from putting scissors in them? Should all kitchen cupboards be padlocked? The cat declawed?

Once we get past "don't leave dangerous stuff (including eliquid) lying around" I'm not sure what more people can or should do.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Not quite sure what you mean - forgive me. I don't think there's anything wrong with the idea of selling e-liquid with child-resistant caps on bottles, but there may be many adults with arthritic fingers who disagree with that statement. If they transfer the liquid to an easy-open bottle would that make them negligent? Probably not - unless they then gave the bottle to a child to play with. Which would be quite unforgivable imho.

It kinda ties into the 1st line in Post #20.

I'm not crazy about Child Resistant Containers. But see them as doing Some Good. And (probably more so) a function of the type of Society we live in when it comes to Legal Litigation.

When I was at ECC 2014, I was Pleasantly surprised to see how many e-Liquid vendors were making an Attempt to package their products in some sort of CRP.

Oliver

Admin
Verified Member
Why would you assume that there wasn't a linear response? It would seem linear response would be the most likely candidate in the absence of any mechanism which would make a difference. Just curious.

Well, this is entirely precautionary on my part. Noting that I have two small children, if either of them were to come into even the tiniest of contact with e-liquid I would thoroughly clean them immediately. Assuming that they could be susceptible to it in a non-linear fashion seems completely reasonable.

On a more objective level (and noting that I have no medical training) I think what I'm saying is: "don't assume linearity" rather than "assume nonlinearity".

Note that tolerance is also likely to be important.

Oliver

Admin
Verified Member
I actually think that labelling is more important than child resistance.

2 reasons - child resistance is:

a. Exactly that - resistance, not "proofing". I.e. - it buys parents time, but not certainty
b. Dependent on the user replacing the top.

The main thing is to ensure that people know that e-liquid can be dangerous to children.

It kinda ties into the 1st line in Post #20.

I'm not crazy about Child Resistant Containers. But see them as doing Some Good. And (probably more so) a function of the type of Society we live in when it comes to Legal Litigation.

When I was at ECC 2014, I was Pleasantly surprised to see how many e-Liquid vendors were making an Attempt to package their products in some sort of CRP.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I actually think that labelling is more important than child resistance.

2 reasons - child resistance is:

a. Exactly that - resistance, not "proofing". I.e. - it buys parents time, but not certainty

b. Dependent on the user replacing the top.

The main thing is to ensure that people know that e-liquid can be dangerous to children.

I am currently working with a container Manufacture on Non-eLiquid containers that must have Child Resistant Caps/Closures. Everything in this line must be ASTM D3475 CRP Certified.

There is a Joke when it comes to Child Proof Caps/Closures. And that is the ONLY way to make a Cap/Closure Child Proof is to make it Adult Proof.

As you mentioned, all that a Child Resistant Cap/Closure does is Limit the percentage of Children who can open a container in a given amount of time. Because given Enough time, even ASTM D3475 CRP Certified containers can be opened by Many Children.

I couldn't agree more with your View that More Information needs to Presented as to the Potential Dangers of a Child ingesting an e-Liquid that contains Nicotine.

Jake6731

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Plano,TX,USA
Something about this story still seems fishy..
Found the quote below in an article by Jacques Le Houezec

The drag on e-cigarettes | Le Houezec Jacques | The Jordan Times

"After reviewing case reports of nicotine intoxications and suicide attempts, the pharmacologist Bernd Mayer found that the lethal dose of nicotine in humans must be somewhere between 500-1,000 mg of absorbed — not just ingested — nicotine.

Given that one of the first symptoms of intoxication is vomiting, and that 70 per cent of the remaining nicotine in the digestive tract is metabolised by the liver before it reaches other organs, absorbing that much nicotine is not easy."

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this 'reporting' was found to be a load of BS right from the start, though we'll never hear about that. It's very sad when a child dies for any reason, but I'd wager it actually had nothing at all to do with anything vape-related, unless it was intentional, other than the initial "reporting".

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
With what I pointed out in the other thread on fine motor skills, I'm 95% certain that the bottle was left open - iow, no child proof capping would have avoided this sad result. The report that 'no child proof cap was on the bottle' can mean a few things. That the bottle had no cap. That the bottle had a child proof cap but it wasn't on the bottle. That there was a non-child proof cap that wasn't on the bottle.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Something about this story still seems fishy..
Found the quote below in an article by Jacques Le Houezec

The drag on e-cigarettes | Le Houezec Jacques | The Jordan Times

"After reviewing case reports of nicotine intoxications and suicide attempts, the pharmacologist Bernd Mayer found that the lethal dose of nicotine in humans must be somewhere between 500-1,000 mg of absorbed — not just ingested — nicotine.

Given that one of the first symptoms of intoxication is vomiting, and that 70 per cent of the remaining nicotine in the digestive tract is metabolised by the liver before it reaches other organs, absorbing that much nicotine is not easy."

in was just thinking along these lines.its the amount that gets into the blood stream that counts.
here's another source discussing what the actual toxitity of nicotine should be.
Nicotine Poisoning: How Much E-Liquid Does It Take? | Cig Buyer.com
if these sources are correct even a toddler would have to drink a quantity of juice
over a period of time for the dose to be lethal.
regards
mike

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
in was just thinking along these lines.its the amount that gets into the blood stream that counts.
here's another source discussing what the actual toxitity of nicotine should be.
Nicotine Poisoning: How Much E-Liquid Does It Take? | Cig Buyer.com
if these sources are correct even a toddler would have to drink a quantity of juice
over a period of time for the dose to be lethal.
regards
mike

Many Small Children who ingest a Poison don't actually die from the Toxicity of the Poison. But Choke on their own Vomit trying to expel the poison. This might have been what happened in this Case. And it Might Not have also.

I have found the Verifiable facts in this Tragic incident to be Sketchy at best. And it seems that there is Much More that we Don't Know. Than what we Do.

Kevin littell

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Covington Ga
Personally,

I think if a parent cant keep poisons "out of reach of children" incidents like this warrant a charge of "Criminally Stupid" on the parents.

There should also be a sign permanently attached to their forehead "Too stupid to pro-create."

Now, I feel for the little kid that died....

But even the Gubbermint cant fix stupid and they cant legislate it out of existence.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Many Small Children who ingest a Poison don't actually die from the Toxicity of the Poison. But Choke on their own Vomit trying to expel the poison. This might have been what happened in this Case. And it Might Not have also.

I have found the Verifiable facts in this Tragic incident to be Sketchy at best. And it seems that there is Much More that we Don't Know. Than what we Do.

you and i are thinking along the same lines.
the total lack of a media three ring circus tends
to point to the fact that perhaps the media is
privy to information we are not.
regards
mike

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
you and i are thinking along the same lines.
the total lack of a media three ring circus tends
to point to the fact that perhaps the media is
privy to information we are not.
regards
mike

If the Media merely Reported News, things would be Simpler.

But many News Organization are in the business of "Making News". Or using "News" to promote an Agenda.

Do you remember when MH370 first went down? And CNN broached the Question could have Li-Ion Batteries in the Cargo area were the cause. Complete with a Computer Graphic of Wooden Create with "e-Cigarette Batteries" stenciled on the front.

We may Never know all the Details of how this Child Died. Or if it was Easily Preventable.

And the Bill that was list in Post #6 is perhaps just part of what the FDA was going to give to Congress next year. But the Bills author wanted to Fast Track Packaging Regulations. And Neatly wants to take the Credit for doing so.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
There are rumors on social media than "nicotine poisoning has been ruled out as cause of death."

https://twitter.com/BaughmanGreg/status/550033701921648642

https://disqus.com/by/disqus_64llIt32lZ/

Waiting for confirmation from PD

Own comment: May be related to pesticide poisoning. Symptoms of (some) pesticide poisoning (e.g. organophosphates, carbamates, etc.) can easily be mistaken for nicotine poisoning by prejudiced healthcare staff.
interesting discussions howeveri called the local PD yesterday.
the coroners preliminary report indicates
nic poisoning.
regards
mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread