Update:ny child dies of nicotine poisoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogar

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2014
Dallas TX
Any parent knows that it only takes a few seconds for a child to disappear and get into things.
I am a father of two (7 and 2) and there have been times where one or the other child has been playing at our feet when a call comes in (or something pulls our attention away) and the child teleports to the next room or on top of the shelving unit. Things like this do happen. Granted I do have an issue with the "I turned my head for 2 seconds" excuse as every parent knows that this is a bold faced lie.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Well, your guess may be correct, but all the juice I've purchased from MyFreedomSmokes has come in cheap, non-childproof containers.
Nearly all the e liquid bottles I see in retail displays are plastic with child resistant caps and a drip nipple. I prefer that type of bottle. I imagine the difference in cost for a non resistant cap is trivial. But the odds are the child found a bottle with a child resistant cap because that's what most of the suppliers use. I buy from ITCvapes. The empty bottles they send me have the child resistant caps. The 120ml bottles they send do not but could. But then I order pour spouts for the 120ml bottles and they aren't child resistant and even if they were what about the spout?

When a toddler appears anyplace where I am I'm automatically looking for anything he could get into trouble with and putting it out of reach before he knows it's there.

Last edited:

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
OK YOU CAN'T (note the caps!) sit around with adult friends and family AND kids now because "It's a Vaper!"
Saying you've never felt so good vaping over analog. (The big one here!) Talking about all the interesting and fun
flavors with the little ones near by and expect them to not be curious!

Just because kids are curious doesn't make it right for us to leave the door of the "household cleaning products" cupboard open.

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
Not quite sure what you mean - forgive me. I don't think there's anything wrong with the idea of selling e-liquid with child-resistant caps on bottles, but there may be many adults with arthritic fingers who disagree with that statement. If they transfer the liquid to an easy-open bottle would that make them negligent? Probably not - unless they then gave the bottle to a child to play with. Which would be quite unforgivable imho.

I actually think that labelling is more important than child resistance.

2 reasons - child resistance is:

a. Exactly that - resistance, not "proofing". I.e. - it buys parents time, but not certainty
b. Dependent on the user replacing the top.

The main thing is to ensure that people know that e-liquid can be dangerous to children.

I'm a person who can't open the child resistant caps on e-liquid. I now make my own because the suppliers I had used all switched to child resistant caps. Making my own is not as difficult for me as opening the commercial bottles. Before I started DIY I would have to have someone else open the bottles, and then put the liquid into other, poorly labeled containers.

However, My only grandchild is 16 and I do not associate with anyone who has younger children. My concentrated nicotine is kept in a locked freezer, and when I need to use more I immediately dilute it to close to the final strength I'm going to make. I label every bottle I make to include the amount of nicotine.

Anyhow, the point I want to make is that mandating child resistant caps can be a major problem for some of us. And I can get prescriptions and most other potentially dangerous items in easy to open packages. Or, most of the items that I get can be transferred to other containers that are large enough that the original labeling can be cut out/off and attached to the new container.

I really do think that at least the option of easy to open containers should be kept available. The death of any child is tragic, and any parent can be distracted long enough for accidents to happen. And anyone who thinks that it couldn't happen to them is deluding themselves. But it is the responsibility of the parent (or grandparent, or other relative or care provider) to ensure that toxic or dangerous items are kept in as safe a manner as possible.

WendyM

ECF Veteran
Once we get past "don't leave dangerous stuff (including eliquid) lying around" I'm not sure what more people can or should do.

Supervising the children in their care is a good start. And if incapable of that, getting help with the task. I don't say this lightly (the first 3 years of my son's life I was a truly single parent and my sleep deprivation was severe) but I swear he was out to kill or maim himself or others at any given time. There's only so much childproofing that can be done, you just have to be alert to the fact that some kids are by genetics or personality or whatever more likely to find new and creative ways to make things that shouldn't be dangerous really really dangerous. He turns 18 on the 4th this month, so I must have done something right because he's survived but from 10 months (when he started walking) to 13 years old it was really rough.

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
The only liquid I ever see in non-childproof containers is the diy I order from a lab.
I hate messing with the childproof caps so, I just slice the bottom ring off of the outer shell and take it off.
I don't have children in my house, so that's a simple fix for me.
My pharmacy dispenses in childproof caps that can be turned over and become non-childproof.

And pets. A member several years ago lost a dog to a bottle of nic.

We don't have any little ones around here now that or son is 18 AND WE BEST NOT FOR A...My bad! I got off the subject.

We do have a 6 month old Rottweiler pup "Charlie D" One of his favorite toys is a big Advil bottle with a couple big
bolts inside with the child proof cap locked down. The bottle looks like it's been hit by a train but the cap's holding on.

And yes all the vape crap is kept out of reach along with other thing, cords (Oh geez!) he loves cords, wish us luck with that!

Charlie D 2 months..

Charlie D at now 6 months...Don't let him kid ya he's a handful/pistol!

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
01/05/15
just a little update.
this morning i talked to the chief of the Fort Plains PD.
he told me the investigation is still ongoing. he said he personally
responded to the call and would confirm the child had ingested nicotine
and went into convulsions,and then passed out all in quick order.
that was the extent of what he would tell me for policy reasons.
fair enough.
i finally got a hold of the Montgomery County coroner who told me
since the child was transported to a hospital in nearby Ostego County
and pronounced dead any autopsy and toxicology would be done there.
i contacted the Ostego County Coroner and he didn't recall anything coming
across his desk but if i got a name and date of death he would look into it
for me.
having forgotten all but the kids first name i told him i'll get back in touch.
i went back to my notes and retrieved the child's name. i also reviewed some
news stories concerning the incident. i found two stories that stated the child
was transported to a hospital in Little Falls,NY. well it turns out that's in
Herkimer County,NY. the county website doesn't list the coroners office
and the number i got from the county offices was to the business of a former
coroner. apparently most coroners in that part of New York are involved in
the funeral business. it ay take some time in tracking down things in
Herkimer County.
regards
mike

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
01/05/15
just a little update.
this morning i talked to the chief of the Fort Plains PD.
he told me the investigation is still ongoing. he said he personally
responded to the call and would confirm the child had ingested nicotine
and went into convulsions,and then passed out all in quick order.
that was the extent of what he would tell me for policy reasons.
fair enough.
i finally got a hold of the Montgomery County coroner who told me
since the child was transported to a hospital in nearby Ostego County
and pronounced dead any autopsy and toxicology would be done there.
i contacted the Ostego County Coroner and he didn't recall anything coming
across his desk but if i got a name and date of death he would look into it
for me.
having forgotten all but the kids first name i told him i'll get back in touch.
i went back to my notes and retrieved the child's name. i also reviewed some
news stories concerning the incident. i found two stories that stated the child
was transported to a hospital in Little Falls,NY. well it turns out that's in
Herkimer County,NY. the county website doesn't list the coroners office
and the number i got from the county offices was to the business of a former
coroner. apparently most coroners in that part of New York are involved in
the funeral business. it ay take some time in tracking down things in
Herkimer County.
regards
mike

Thank you for the Update skoony.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Yes, BUT.....

To what extent is the danger of nicotine in e-liquid to children known? It's almost never stated prominently on bottles, and we, as users, tend to be quite blase about it - noting that we have considerable tolerance to it from prior smoking.

Interestingly, I have received bottles of FLAVORINGS, not ejuice, that is not labelled as flavorings.

It is in bottles that look so similar to ejuice, it would be real easy to accidentally vape it.

I've read an account of that happening, the person ended up in the hospital.

so I have to mark those flavoring bottle very carefully so I don't confuse it for ejuice.

These are things that need fixing.

and, my condolensces go out to the family of that child.......its a tragedy, and so very sad, despite who is at "fault". :(

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I have in front of me liquid from 7 different vendors. 4 of the bottles are CRP, 3 are not, and all but 1 have something to the tone of "keep away from children and pets" on the label. Un-ironically, the one that is neither CRP nor has a warning on the label does say "killer."

Tragic accident. Keep dangerous substances out of the reach of children.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
I have in front of me liquid from 7 different vendors. 4 of the bottles are CRP, 3 are not, and all but 1 have something to the tone of "keep away from children and pets" on the label. Un-ironically, the one that is neither CRP nor has a warning on the label does say "killer."

Tragic accident. Keep dangerous substances out of the reach of children.

I have in front of me a 14" American steel slicing knife sharp enough to shave with. It has no CRP, nor a "keep away from children" label and the baby loves its mirror-like surface. Should I start a crusade to demonize the whole cutlery industry? Or should I exercise common sense and parental responsibility?

Painter_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
In my happy place
The epicenter of the powdered caffeine is not to far from me. It is on the local news quite often, it seems to me if a child dies we must regulate and ban it. Because we the people are not capable of taking care of ourselves the governments of the world can do it better. Just ask then and they will tell you this.

Concerns raised about dangers of powdered caffeine

I have in front of me a 14" American steel slicing knife sharp enough to shave with. It has no CRP, nor a "keep away from children" label and the baby loves its mirror-like surface. Should I start a crusade to demonize the whole cutlery industry? Or should I exercise common sense and parental responsibility?

Great point!

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California

Right, that was my point. Regardless of whether or not the warnings are there, or the child proof caps, it's my responsibility to look after my child.

Sent from my zombie defense stronghold using Tapatalk - now Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread